Author Topic: Saitek X-55 Rino  (Read 3650 times)

Offline LCADolby

• Platinum Member
Re: Saitek X-55 Rino
« Reply #30 on: January 17, 2014, 09:55:56 AM »
My x52 pro lasted 2-3 weeks before the x axis went.
JG5 "Eismeer"
YouTube-20Dolby10
Twitch - Glendinho

Offline JimmyD3

• Gold Member
« Reply #31 on: January 17, 2014, 09:57:41 AM »
I am about to buy a X52 pro with pro rudder pedals with the money i saved for last 6 months... but now reading the comments under this topic made me think again... So i am not sure
if its smart to spend like 250$ on this now.

I have an Saitek X52 setup and have been using it for about a year now, with no major problems. I have had to re-calibrate on occasion but that is the extent of it. On the down side, Saitek does NOT carry any parts for their systems so if it does die, you have to get a new system. :frown: So far MadCat, the US vendor has been very responsive on all of my e-mails.
Kenai77
CO Sic Puppies MWK
USAF 1971-76

Offline Mace2004

• Silver Member
      • TrackIR 4.0
« Reply #32 on: January 17, 2014, 10:03:56 AM »
I've always found that the Saitek X45, X52 and X52 Pro to be long on features, especially for their price, but low on life span.  Problems have ranged from buttons and hat switches, the forward and aft detents of the throttle quadrant wear out/break off and the sticks get very sloppy over time.  In particular, the plastic gimbels and loose fit between the compression cone and stick shaft inevitably result in a large dead band in the center where the stick can just flop about with no input.  Generally I've found that a stick will last me about two years before it becomes unacceptable.  The majority of the problems result from the fact that almost everything is plastic and the sticks just wear out so I've been looking for a similar stick with metal gimbals without going through the price roof.  I nearly jumped on the Warthog but started reading many reports about a laminated compression ring in it that delaminates, something I didn't want to deal with in a $400++ stick.

Does anyone have any information on the X-55's construction?  Are the gimbals just plastic again?
Mace
Golden Gryphon Guild Mercenary Force G3-MF

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #33 on: January 17, 2014, 10:09:36 AM »
I am about to buy a X52 pro with pro rudder pedals with the money i saved for last 6 months... but now reading the comments under this topic made me think again... So i am not sure

YMMV, but I'm going on year 7 with an X-52 and pro pedals.  Bought them early 2007.  The only issue I've got with the X-52 is the one rotary on the throttle is a bit spiky.  I'm sure cleaning the pot would fix it but I don't use it so have never bothered.  Everything else with it is just fine.  I had to take the pedals apart to clean them once about 3 years ago, but they've been fine since.  It does have a very light spring which some don't like, but that has never bothered me.  There are also simple mods that can be used to stiffen it.

The one thing I will say is I am very gentle on my gear.  If you have a tendency to have heavy hands and feet or throw your gear around, I wouldn't recommend the Saitek stuff.  I am interested in the X55 because it basically looks like a poor man's Warthog, which was what I was planning on getting next until the X55 came out.  For the price point and based on my experience with my X52, I believe it may work for me.

I run my stuff off a powered hub, and haven't had to recalibrate it ever.

The one other qualifier I have is, the timeframe is right for mine to have been built just before Saitek was acquired by Madcatz.  My personal theory is that their quality may have gone down when that change in ownership occurred.  Or it's possible I just happened to get a good unit and varying quality is why so many have problems with them.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline LLv34_Dictonius

• Gold Member
« Reply #34 on: January 17, 2014, 10:31:48 AM »
Saitek throttles are neat toys. If your old saitek is giving up I bet it is the stick part. I would keep the throttle, but replace the stick with Thrustmaster T.16000 or try the new russian Cobra M5 for example. Won't be too expensive update either.
Current handle: Tikto
Member of the big finnish squadron Vaasan Vaakalentäjät

Offline Scca

• Gold Member
« Reply #35 on: January 17, 2014, 11:00:12 AM »
This is the setup worth investing in;

(Image removed from quote.)
That's my current setup, but up until this past Christmas I had and X52 and it worked just fine...  My one issue with the CH is the hat switch is pretty far away even for my big paws...
Flying as AkMeathd - CO Arabian Knights
Working on my bbs cred one post at a time

http://www.arabian-knights.org

Offline rpm

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #36 on: January 17, 2014, 03:04:11 PM »
I'd save up a couple more months and get the X55. I just replaced my x52Pro a few months ago or I would have waited for a 55. It looks like a great stick. I typically get a couple years out of Saitek sticks and I am not gentle with them.
My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.
Stay thirsty my friends.

Offline Devil 505

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #37 on: January 17, 2014, 04:46:09 PM »
I've tried a few different joysticks.. Someone on here suggested the thrustmaster t16000m...  It is head and shoulders above anything i've tried.. super smooth and accurate, it uses some sort of magnet technology that gives it amazing resolution... Just my 2 cents!!
I just bought the t16000m, I absolutely love the smooth motion of the stick. The button layout, on the other hand is terrible, in my opinion. My old Thrustmaster Hotas-X that I'm replacing, was the exact opposite: great button layout, horrid motion in the stick. Really, if I could somehow fit the guts of the T16000m into the Hotas-X, then that would be as near a perfect stick.
Kommando Nowotny

FlyKommando.com

Offline diaster

• Copper Member
« Reply #38 on: January 17, 2014, 05:19:12 PM »
Envy much?

no one needs a 200.00 stick....ive played this game with a 35.00 Logitech stick before....but if someone WANTS to spend that much who cares?  I currently have a Warthog and a VKB Black Mamba as well as various other flight simulation hardware installed in a Obutto cockpit. ive probably spent something on the order of several thousand on this stuff but it's my hobby, my money which I earned through legitimate labor....so who cares? Im not saying having this stuff improves anyone's ability in the game (though a good HOTAS setup can certainly help) but its fun and it improves immersion.
agreed. Love my warthog
"Harden The F_ck Up”

Offline Vudak

• Platinum Member
« Reply #39 on: January 17, 2014, 05:19:33 PM »
Saitek makes a good product and I used to love my X45, but I'd go with CH gear simply because there has been an X36(?), X45, X52, now this X55...  And the pattern suggests there will be new models down the line.

Compare that to CH which has been relatively unchanged in...  Forever.

Why does this matter?  Muscle memory.  It is a complete pain beyond words to relearn muscle memory, especially if you're good enough where you're riding the edge in fights and fluidly using your HOTAS to full effect.  Every single time you switch joystick models you have to reinvent the wheel.  They are not the same.  Buttons are different places, springs are different tensions, etc.

When/if your CH products wear out, you'll be able to buy the same exact thing down the road.  When/if your Saitek wears out, the model might be discontinued and then it's ebay or you're out of luck.

YMMV.
Vudak
352nd Fighter Group

Offline Dragon Tamer

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #40 on: January 17, 2014, 07:18:08 PM »
I have a $30 Saitek ST290 Pro that I bought from Walmart 7 years ago and it's still going strong.

Offline Ten60

• Copper Member
« Reply #41 on: January 17, 2014, 07:37:32 PM »
Good Comment Fulcrum.  Even tho you are my evil older brother, and you're bald, and you smell like a rank mixture of bengay and vegetable oil.

I had a Cyborg when I started this game and it was GOD AWFUL.  Went out after about 9 months.  I bought an X-52 and I've had zero problems with it at all.   Now, that isn't to say that I still absolutely suck at this game and will die 2 times for every 1 legitimate kill....  But I can't blame my equipment for that.  (I blame my equipment for the flood of Kate Upton voicemails I get... :joystick: )

My opinion is, if you want to spend $15,000 on a setup and you can afford to, whatever man.  If that gives you joy and allows you to play this game and be a happy, respectful and honorable stick...   :cheers:

You people who say it's stupid or useless or whatever are just h8t0rz.  Do us a favor and do what we all do in FSO  :cheers:
"Maybe there are 5,000, maybe 10,000 Nazi bastards in their concrete foxholes before the Third Army. Now if Ike stops holding Monty's hand and gives me some supplies, I'll go through the Siegfried Line like %&# through a goose"

Offline Fulcrum

• Silver Member
« Reply #42 on: January 17, 2014, 07:43:25 PM »
Good Comment Fulcrum.  Even tho you are my evil older brother, and you're bald, and you smell like a rank mixture of bengay and vegetable oil.

Thank you.  I've disputed the relationship and have the genetic tests to prove it.  Bald is beautiful.  I only smell like that when I forget to change my Depends.
Going by "Hoplite" now. :)

Offline WWhiskey

• Gold Member
« Reply #43 on: January 17, 2014, 07:46:10 PM »
I had the X-52.  It was horrible compared to my saitek $30 twist-stick.  The stick's tension was far to light in pitch and roll, and far to tight in rudder control.  Completely unbalanced.  Also, the control throws (how far the stick travels) were enormous.  

Lets hope the X-55 rhino is a much more balanced stick.  Give us a review of it.
you can tune any stick for any amount of throw you want in the advanced settings,,   I like the x52 but it is sloppy feeling compared to the others I've used. The one I have now is getting old 4 years maybe,  I'm thinking of getting something new probably CH, as far as throttle and rudders go ,the x52 and saitek peddles are great

Just checked out the new x55,,, looks nice, I think I'll wait and get one when it comes out!
« Last Edit: January 17, 2014, 07:58:35 PM by WWhiskey »
Flying since tour 71.

Offline Mar

• Gold Member
« Reply #44 on: January 18, 2014, 03:50:08 AM »
I have an x65 and I really don't like the way the buttons are on the throttle. They're way too close together and hard to get to for me. I don't like the stick either. I think HOTAS developers should design them so that you can get a good solid grip on them without having your fingers on a button or hat.

I don't think I'll ever switch from my CH fighterstick. The thing is built like a tank. I lost count how many years I've been flying with it.
(}{ f0r |_1f3
𝒻𝓇𝑜𝓂 𝓉𝒽𝑒 𝓈𝒽𝒶𝒹𝑜𝓌𝓈 𝑜𝒻 𝓌𝒶𝓇'𝓈 𝓅𝒶𝓈𝓉 𝒶 𝒹𝑒𝓂𝑜𝓃 𝑜𝒻 𝓉𝒽𝑒 𝒶𝒾𝓇 𝓇𝒾𝓈𝑒𝓈 𝒻𝓇𝑜𝓂 𝓉𝒽𝑒 𝑔𝓇𝒶𝓋𝑒

"Onward to the land of kings—via the sky of aces!"
  Oh, and zack1234 rules. :old: