Author Topic: Saitek x52 problem  (Read 4566 times)

Offline Rogue9Volt

• Nickel Member
Saitek x52 problem
« on: January 16, 2014, 11:37:20 AM »
Hey dudes.

I ordered a Saitek X52 and just received it yesterday. When I plugged it in, The joystick LED's began flashing on and off.  The power Light is steady, but the others just continuously blink.  The other problem is that the Joystick doesn't seem to be inputting anything into the computer.  When I pull up the Drivers program, I get movement on the Throttle Axis, and all the Throttle buttons respond.  Nothing from the Joystick except a very slight fluctuation in the Y Axis. 

I read a bunch of stuff and decided to open the stick base and have a look.  None of the wires or connections seem to be broken or in bad condition.  I read that it might be the Ps/2 cable that connects the stick to the throttle, so I ordered a new one.  If that doesn't work though, I'm kinda stuck...  Any ideas?

I can and did use the throttle last night with my old stick, but because of the way AH reads the Saitek, I had no way to input rudder control. (Keys didn't work while throttle was plugged in.)

:uhoh :headscratch: :cry
InGame:  SW9volt

-Born To Lose, Live To Win-
Recruiting Officer,125th Spartan Warriors.

Offline Rich46yo

• Platinum Member
Re: Saitek x52 problem
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2014, 03:39:15 PM »

Go into Saitek control panel/MFD and turn the brightness on all the way. Also are you running it off a powered USB Hub?

Hey dudes.

I ordered a Saitek X52 and just received it yesterday. When I plugged it in, The joystick LED's began flashing on and off.  The power Light is steady, but the others just continuously blink.  The other problem is that the Joystick doesn't seem to be inputting anything into the computer.  When I pull up the Drivers program, I get movement on the Throttle Axis, and all the Throttle buttons respond.  Nothing from the Joystick except a very slight fluctuation in the Y Axis. 

I read a bunch of stuff and decided to open the stick base and have a look.  None of the wires or connections seem to be broken or in bad condition.  I read that it might be the Ps/2 cable that connects the stick to the throttle, so I ordered a new one.  If that doesn't work though, I'm kinda stuck...  Any ideas?

I can and did use the throttle last night with my old stick, but because of the way AH reads the Saitek, I had no way to input rudder control. (Keys didn't work while throttle was plugged in.)

"flying the aircraft of the Red Star"

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2014, 03:55:20 PM »
Did you mean 'off' all the way, Rich?  Basically trying to reduce power consumption?  I'd suggest that.

Powered hub is nearly mandatory with the X-52.  They're cheap anyplace that sells computers/parts.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline JimmyD3

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2014, 10:04:01 AM »
Also, DON"T use the Saitek software, let AH set everything.
Kenai77
CO Sic Puppies MWK
USAF 1971-76

Offline Rich46yo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2014, 01:59:51 PM »
No. Turn it all the way "on". Forghetabout using to much power, it wont happen.

Ive had some Saitek products with some weird things that could happen. One X52 wouldnt work right without the MFD panel being turned all the way on. I dont know why but obviously it had something to do with power. try it, what can you lose? Another idea is to try different Hubs or different ports on the hubs. Yes believe it or not Ive had X52s that would work on one port/Hub but not another. like I said, "weird".

Offline Rogue9Volt

• Nickel Member
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2014, 02:02:11 PM »
Thanks, I will try that, Rich. Also I will look into a USB Hub.  I may have one laying around somewhere...

I appreciate you guys responding.  <S>

Offline Rogue9Volt

• Nickel Member
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2014, 02:10:03 PM »
Go into Saitek control panel/MFD and turn the brightness on all the way. Also are you running it off a powered USB Hub?

When I checked this, Brightness was already on all the way for both MFD and LED's.  I tried turning it all the way down, applying, and turning them all the way back up, with no change in the issue...  It's basically behaving like the Joystick isn't plugged in, except that it has power and the lights are blinking.  It's not showing any control input in the Deadzone screen at all.

Offline Rich46yo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2014, 03:13:30 PM »
A few last thoughts. You may have downloaded the drivers for X-52 Pro. No they are not the same drivers and will cause issues.

It very well might be a bad connector between the throttle and joystick. They do get persnickity.

You do have another option, return the entire unit.

Ive had X52s that would run on one powered Hub but not another, even if both were the same kinda Hub. Every SST profile I have for it is a hybrid cause some keys will map and some wont, "common for many controllers".

You say Saitek control panel will not recognize the throttle buttons? If a new driver install doesnt work then send the entire thing back. They have a 2 year garuntee and will replace it. The place you bought it from will replace it to within 30 days. Good luck.

Hey dudes.

Offline Rogue9Volt

• Nickel Member
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2014, 03:29:39 PM »
A few last thoughts. You may have downloaded the drivers for X-52 Pro. No they are not the same drivers and will cause issues.

It very well might be a bad connector between the throttle and joystick. They do get persnickity.

You do have another option, return the entire unit.

Ive had X52s that would run on one powered Hub but not another, even if both were the same kinda Hub. Every SST profile I have for it is a hybrid cause some keys will map and some wont, "common for many controllers".

You say Saitek control panel will not recognize the throttle buttons? If a new driver install doesnt work then send the entire thing back. They have a 2 year garuntee and will replace it. The place you bought it from will replace it to within 30 days. Good luck.

Thanks, I actually uninstalled the drivers last night just in case. I'll try reloading the drivers before I send it back.  I'm kinda stuck with it since it's a three day weekend for the Holiday.

I appreciate it, Rich.  <S>