Author Topic: fighter Ranking formula Modification  (Read 7761 times)

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
Re: fighter Ranking formula Modification
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2014, 04:05:58 AM »
I vote no.

HiTech

I'm with this guy (vote-wise). I win!
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2014, 04:10:22 AM »
This means that cannon-armed planes shoot less to destroy the same targets that MG-armed planes do, making their misses have a functionally higher stat weighting.

I don't think so! I think that no matter which airplane you fly, if you fly it consistently, then your hit percentage will be higher. If you switch planes often, then your hit percentage will suffer a small amount. And, of course there are exceptions to the rule. There always are.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline Debrody

• Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2014, 05:35:35 AM »
The P-40 pilot should enjoy a rank advantage over the SPitXVI pilot, if all other stats are Equal. Perk points are the only metric that accounts for that.
For the bloody hell, +1! Even though my ride is eny10, its absolutely true. Defending against a mass of heavy fighters in a K4 or D9 can be fun, but a horde of La7s and 4hogs vulching a field is just disgusting.

But replacing the hit ratio with the amount of perk points earned is just a no-no. They playing time is already represented in the rank formula  ;)
AoM
City of ice

Offline LCADolby

• Platinum Member
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2014, 07:09:00 AM »
"I can't shoot therefore I want it taken out from counting towards my rank. My main ride is 15ENY and a nice little perk farmer, that would be better for me"

This is what happens when a scoretard wants to substitute his bad attribute for one not determined by his own ability.

Because accurate shooting is just as a skill as ACM, on logical grounds I can't support this apocalyptic dingleberry of a wish.

Perhaps perks earned should be an addition to the score system rather than a substitute for a current stat?
JG5 "Eismeer"
YouTube-20Dolby10
Twitch - Glendinho

Offline Vortex

• Nickel Member
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2014, 07:18:44 AM »
I proposed to Drop the hit% as part of the ranking system and replace it with Perk points Earned

Rationale:
Why hit% is a weak ranking metric
Hit% is really already accounted for in kills/sortie, and kills/hour. 
I will bet these are directly correlated to hit% and as such they do not provide a separate or unique discriminator.
It encourages behavior not really beneficial to game play. I.E holding fire until you are extremely close, even if that is not the best idea for mission out come. Or only attacking bombers at very close range.

Why Perk points earned is stronger metric
Perk points are racked up by killing more capable planes with less capable planes.
The P-40 pilot should enjoy a rank advantage over the SPitXVI pilot, if all other stats are Equal. Perk points are the only metric that accounts for that.
this would encourage better pilots to fly lower ENY planes which could help balance the gameplay in way that ENY never seems to achieve. And since it's voluntary, there's less whining.

Please vote yes!  :aok

Does the current "ranking" system calculate in what type of plane you fly? Or to put it another way, does it bring the perk value of the plane with which you get a kill into its ranking calculation at all? Correct me if I'm wrong because I really know very little about how scores work, but perks seem to be the only measure of the difficulty level at which a player chooses to play at, correct?
--)-Vortex----
The Musketeers, circa 1990

AH In-Game Handle: Vort

Offline Greebo

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2014, 08:29:42 AM »
Currently the fighter rank is calculated by creating an average rank from the player's individual ranks in these five stats: K/D, K/S, K/T, Hit % and kill points (total damage done). It doesn't take any account of what type of planes you fly to achieve those stats. So for those players who fly for rank it acts as a disincentive to try non-uber planes. I proposed something similar to the OP's perk idea a while ago, except for it being an average per kill rather than the total earned.

Offline Vortex

• Nickel Member
« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2014, 09:56:02 AM »
Currently the fighter rank is calculated by creating an average rank from the player's individual ranks in these five stats: K/D, K/S, K/T, Hit % and kill points (total damage done). It doesn't take any account of what type of planes you fly to achieve those stats. So for those players who fly for rank it acts as a disincentive to try non-uber planes. I proposed something similar to the OP's perk idea a while ago, except for it being an average per kill rather than the total earned.

Thanks for the info Greebo, that clarifies things nicely.

I would think that any format that doesn't provide a weighting to the aircraft flown, as a first step, is pretty lacking in its completeness. A format that is grounded on the premise that a kill in a P-47M is the same as a kill in a Ki-43 isn't worth much. The driver of the prior is clearly a dweeb, and the later a skilled master in the art! (ok, that's a bit overdone, but we get the idea ;->). So in that sense I think the OP has a legitimate point wrt to the addition of perk weighting.

I wouldn't agree that hit % should be removed in place of it though. Seems to make sense to have it there. Sure, its easy to see how it could be "gamed" by those who need to chase score, but for the majority of players its a reasonable tool to have in the calculation format.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2014, 09:57:36 AM by Vortex »
--)-Vortex----
The Musketeers, circa 1990

AH In-Game Handle: Vort

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2014, 10:06:08 AM »
While we are speaking of scores: A minor thing I'd like to see is having the one man "squads" totally filtered out on the squad ranks & scores:

It's a minor thing as it would really change not much for the game itself and possibly few people are looking at squad rankings at all (unlike pilot score, I didn't look at it for years until someone 'congratulated' me on my supposedly 'gamed' #1 squad rank in fighters a few days ago).

But it just makes no sense to me having the squad rank list filled up with single pilots.
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Shifty

• Plutonium Member
      • 307th FS
« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2014, 10:11:45 AM »

JG-11"Black Hearts"...nur die Stolzen, nur die Starken

"Haji may have blown my legs off but I'm still a stud"~ SPC Thomas Vandeventer Delta1/5 1st CAV

Offline caldera

• Platinum Member
« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2014, 10:27:03 AM »

+1 on Perks/Kill inclusion.  Being number one shouldn't mean vulching in a Tempest for 12 sorties and calling it a tour.

Assists/Death would also separate the wheat from the chaff.  A player that requires multiple enemies to dispatch indicates a skilled pilot and/or one who flies into harm's way.

No need to replace Hit%, just add these to the score requirements. 

Edit:  instead of perks/kill,  ENY/Kill would be even better.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2014, 10:49:16 AM by caldera »
"Then out spake brave Horatius, the Captain of the gate:
 To every man upon this earth, death cometh soon or late.
 And how can man die better, than facing fearful odds.
 For the ashes of his fathers and the temples of his Gods."

Offline Vinkman

• Gold Member
« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2014, 11:13:35 AM »
"I can't shoot therefore I want it taken out from counting towards my rank. My main ride is 15ENY and a nice little perk farmer, that would be better for me"

This is what happens when a scoretard wants to substitute his bad attribute for one not determined by his own ability.
I'm an excellent Shot
I don't play for score or rank, so your assumptions as to my motivations are a transparent attempt to falsely question my character in public. shame on you.

Because accurate shooting is just as a skill as ACM, on logical grounds I can't support this apocalyptic dingleberry of a wish.
Hit% is a skill, but landing 2% more of your rounds seems less important than killing twice as many planes. but in the rank system doesn't treat it that way.

Perhaps perks earned should be an addition to the score system rather than a substitute for a current stat?

Oh so you agree.  :salute

Who is John Galt?

Offline Vinkman

• Gold Member
« Reply #26 on: January 23, 2014, 11:15:39 AM »
+1 on Perks/Kill inclusion.  Being number one shouldn't mean vulching in a Tempest for 12 sorties and calling it a tour.

Assists/Death would also separate the wheat from the chaff.  A player that requires multiple enemies to dispatch indicates a skilled pilot and/or one who flies into harm's way.

No need to replace Hit%, just add these to the score requirements. 

Edit:  instead of perks/kill,  ENY/Kill would be even better.

I like all these as well  :salute
Who is John Galt?

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2014, 11:16:28 AM »
Hit% is a skill, but landing 2% more of your rounds seems less important than killing twice as many planes. but in the rank system doesn't treat it that way.

Actually, if you really kill twice as many planes by giving up 2% hit percentage, it's verly likely you will get rewarded by the rank system, as your k/s, k/d and k/h will just massively jump up.
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Debrody

• Platinum Member
« Reply #28 on: January 23, 2014, 11:39:44 AM »
Oh so you agree.  :salute
He is pretty mad at you, aint he? Dont take it up.
AoM
City of ice

Offline LCADolby

• Platinum Member
« Reply #29 on: January 23, 2014, 11:44:43 AM »
I'm an excellent Shot
I don't play for score or rank, so your assumptions as to my motivations are a transparent attempt to falsely question my character in public. shame on you.

This is a blatant lie.
JG5 "Eismeer"
YouTube-20Dolby10
Twitch - Glendinho