Author Topic: RaspberryPi?  (Read 1047 times)

Offline SilverZ06

• Silver Member
RaspberryPi?
« on: January 24, 2014, 08:44:04 AM »
Does anyone have one and what do you use it for? It looks like a fun little toy to tinker with but I am torn about getting one as I don't really know what I would actually do with it.  :headscratch:

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
Re: RaspberryPi?
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2014, 08:51:08 AM »
It's great for electronics hobbyists. You can build light controllers, house automation etc. by combining the raspberry to switchboards or servo controllers.

Perfect little tool for people that have way too much time in their hands.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline hotcoffe

• Nickel Member
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2014, 09:07:03 AM »
+1 love it.
- Der Wander Zirkus -

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2014, 10:04:12 AM »
I am using several of them to build an engine management system for my engine in my Cobra.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline mthrockmor

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2014, 10:23:46 AM »
I bought one and I'm having a self described technonerd turn it into a low cost home computer for poor, at-risk kids that can't afford a lap top and want a little more functionality than a $70 pro-scan. We'll see how it turns out.

boo
No poor dumb bastard wins a war by dying for his country, he wins by making the other poor, dumb, bastard die for his.
George "Blood n Guts" Patton

Offline mrmidi

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2014, 10:55:44 AM »
been playing around with a couple of Arduino boards my self.
In charge of nothing.
C.O. 29th TFT, "We Move Mountains"
It is what it is!

Offline palef

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2014, 06:56:14 PM »
I've installed RaspBMC on mine and use it as a media server. If you're sharing media from a Windows 8 PC, remember to turn off the password protection for sharing so that SMB functions correctly via the Pi.
Retired

Offline SilverZ06

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2014, 10:07:26 PM »
I keep looking at the raspberry pi but I still cant think of a reason for buying one other than that I want one. I'm trying to be responsible and not buy something that is going to sit in my desk drawer collecting dust but I really want to play with one. I guess I need to research more projects to do with one so I can justify it to myself.

Skuzzy, By engine management do you mean you are going to use the raspberry pi as a stand alone engine management system for fuel injection in your cobra? I'd be interested in seeing that. What programming language are you using to write the program? That is going to be one hell of a project to get all the timing and fuel tables correct.

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2014, 06:41:17 AM »
I am not ready to talk about it in details, until the patents are filed.  It will take some time.

The primary use of the Pi's is monitoring and that is still subject to change.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline eagl

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2014, 12:15:31 PM »
There are some free online programs to get kids into computer programming, and when my kids are a little older I'll introduce them to those and help them get started.  If they get really interested, I'll end up picking up a few of the arduino and raspberry-pi kits and some accessory parts and helping the kids make stuff.  My oldest son already likes legos (yes I wrote "legos", not "lego blocks") so maybe he'll get into it.
Everyone I know, goes away, in the end.

Offline wpeters

• Silver Member
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2014, 01:38:29 PM »
There are some free online programs to get kids into computer programming, and when my kids are a little older I'll introduce them to those and help them get started.  If they get really interested, I'll end up picking up a few of the arduino and raspberry-pi kits and some accessory parts and helping the kids make stuff.  My oldest son already likes legos (yes I wrote "legos", not "lego blocks") so maybe he'll get into it.

Where are those programs. I am teaching school and would love to know a little more about computer programing. Only one at our school that is half computer literate.
LtCondor
          The Damned
Fighter pilots are either high, or in the process of getting high.🙊
The difference between Dweebs and non dweebs... Dweebs have kills

Offline eagl

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2014, 03:01:58 PM »
http://learn.code.org/hoc/1

https://www.khanacademy.org/hour-of-code/hour-of-code-tutorial/v/welcome-hour-of-code

Those are 2 that start with the very basics.

For the more adventurous older kids who may be taking it more seriously, Harvard offers CS50 free to audit, including the coding environment and tools...

https://cs50.harvard.edu/

There are others but these caught my attention recently.

Everyone I know, goes away, in the end.

Offline Tracerfi

• Silver Member
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2014, 06:53:39 PM »
I am interested in  learning how to understand and build a PC any websites i can find to help me with that
You cannot beat savages by becoming one.

He who must not be named

Offline wpeters

• Silver Member
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2014, 09:45:28 AM »
I am interested in  learning how to understand and build a PC any websites i can find to help me with that
.  Newegg Tv on YouTube.   How to build a PC
LtCondor
          The Damned
Fighter pilots are either high, or in the process of getting high.🙊
The difference between Dweebs and non dweebs... Dweebs have kills

Offline save

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2014, 06:26:57 PM »
I have 2 B models (512mb), one use the Openelec used for backups of pictures in the basement with a powered USB hub with a hard-disk on it, its only drawback is the 100mb Ethernet.
The other one I use for playback of films running flawlessly with a slightly over-clocked Raspbmc at full HD.

If you buy one, be sure to have a strong power supply for it (not one used to charge mobile phones.

My ammo last for 6 Lancasters, or one Yak3.
"And the Yak 3 ,aka the "flying Yamato"..."
-Caldera