Author Topic: Don't take chances  (Read 717 times)

Offline jimson

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
      • The Axis vs Allies Arena
Don't take chances
« on: January 25, 2014, 10:24:14 PM »
Hoping maybe to help someone save their life here.

Saturday Jan 6th I wasn't feeling well at work. I had some chest pain that felt like gas, and when I burped, it did feel a little better so I just went home early. Sunday I went back to work and it happened again but got worse I felt a fluttering in my chest and got shaky, that's when I asked for an ambulance.

When they got me in the ambulance, they kept asking me how the pain was and it had really gone away and I never had shortness of breath and radiating pain in my arm I figured might have been in my head.

I truly expected to waste a whole day in the ER be told it was gastric in nature and be sent home.

Nope. Enzymes came back abnormal, it was a heart attack.

I was admitted and had a stent put in. The doc told me my left anterior descending artery was 99% blocked and I narrowly avoided a bypass.

Only at my follow up appointment did he say that what I narrowly avoided was death. This is called the widow maker artery and if it gets 100% blocked you have a 90% chance of coffin city.

I have read that the pain is unmistakable, the most you will likely ever feel. DON'T COUNT ON THAT. I never would have rated the pain over 5 on a 10 scale. I waited too long because the pain wasn't so bad. I should have went in the day before. I appear to have gotten away with that but how close was I to having one more little particle complete the clogging and send me 6 feet under?

DON'T SCREW WITH THIS STUFF!! Take the damn risk that you will waste a day at the ER for a stupid case of heartburn.

Right now I am dealing with depression over this but maybe that will lift and I will just feel lucky to be alive.

Whatever you do, take ANY chest pain seriously!! Don't think you are safe if you have no real family history of heart disease. I didn't have such a history. Better to have to listen to a doc tell you you are lucky to still be here, then to croak before you even have a chance to get your affairs in order.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2014, 10:31:05 PM by jimson »

Offline SkyRock

• Platinum Member
Re: Don't take chances
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2014, 10:48:26 PM »
glad you're ok bud.

Triton28 - "...his stats suggest he has a healthy combination of suck and sissy!"

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2014, 11:12:58 PM »
Don't be depressed -- be very, very happy that you did end up catching it in time.

I'm not sure what I would have done in your place as it didn't sound like you had much in the way of symptoms (like you say -- felt more like indigestion).

I'm thankful you are OK now! <S>

Offline jimson

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
      • The Axis vs Allies Arena
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2014, 11:18:43 PM »
Thanks guys.

They say the depression is probably normal. The end of my care free, eat and do whatever I want life and the realization that I now have to take more pills than my 95 year old grandmother.

If I could impart anything it is listen to what your body is saying. You don't have to end up clutching your chest and falling to your knees to be in real trouble. There was a point that I should have recognized that though very similar, it was a little different from regular indigestion. I just didn't want to recognize it.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2014, 11:23:55 PM by jimson »

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2014, 11:23:59 PM »
One thing that will probably be recommended is some regular exercise, unless you already get plenty of that.  30 minutes of walking 5 times a week is one that is on the easier side of working into your routine, and if you get an account on audible.com, you can listen to books on tape as you do it, and it becomes a lot of fun.

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2014, 02:56:17 AM »
im screwed then. :rofl

Offline Rich46yo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2014, 04:05:28 AM »
The problem is how to know when its real or when its the cheeseburgers you washed down with beer for lunch.

I dropped at work 3 years ago and spent 3 days in ICU cause my heart couldnt regulate my blood pressure. They did every test they had, including an angio, and never found out what in Hell the problem was. They said my arteries were clean and the defibs I was feeling werent really defibs. To this day I dont know what it was.
"flying the aircraft of the Red Star"

Offline danny76

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2014, 04:15:11 AM »
Good to hear you caught it in time Jimson :aok

I was in to see the sawbones last week with similar symptoms. Good quality pain in centre of chest. Worse at night, not agonising but certainly uncomfortable.
Also I get occassional missed beats, about once or twice each 48 hrs.
I'm training 10-12 hours a week in the gym  and otherwise fit.

They took an armful of blood and did an ECG, found nothing whatsoever, feel like a fraud now which is why your advice is the correct one. You need to get these things checked out.

Still wondering what my problem is though. Hypochondria
"You kill 'em all, I'll eat the BATCO!"
The GFC

"Not within a thousand years will man ever fly" - Wilbur Wright

Offline redcatcherb412

• Nickel Member
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2014, 05:39:44 AM »
Amen to paying attention to chest pain or any anomoly in the thorax.  These sometimes silent killers mimic so many other things.  Along with heart attacks, aortic tear or ruptures are also in the same group.  Along with chest pain, a visible pulsation just under your ribcage while laying down can indicate an enlarged weakened aorta.  Like the widowmaker heart artery, an aortic rupture is a death sentence and you have about 90 seconds to realize what's happening before you're gone. Just got mine fixed with a dacron graft last year. 
Ground Pounders ...

Offline mbailey

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2014, 07:15:18 AM »
Very glad your ok sir!!!

They took an armful of blood and did an ECG, found nothing whatsoever, feel like a fraud now which is why your advice is the correct one. You need to get these things checked out.

Still wondering what my problem is though. Hypochondria

Yes, but your a healthy, upright hypochondriac......nothing wrong with that at all.....I would have done the exact same thing myself.  Im slowly starting to learn that at 42 i am no longer the invincible 18yrold i once was. Taking meds for Highblood pressure after mine was found to be off the charts........ High stress job etc etc. Thankfully my cholesterol levels are good....but im keeping tabs on them every year with bloodwork.

Good luck...stay healthy  :aok
« Last Edit: January 26, 2014, 07:21:12 AM by mbailey »
Mbailey
80th FS "Headhunters"

Ichi Go Ichi E
Character is like a tree and reputation like its shadow. The shadow is what we think of it; the tree is the real thing.

When the game is over, the Kings and Pawns all go into the same box.

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2014, 07:20:22 AM »
The problem is how to know when its real or when its the cheeseburgers you washed down with beer for lunch.

I dropped at work 3 years ago and spent 3 days in ICU cause my heart couldnt regulate my blood pressure. They did every test they had, including an angio, and never found out what in Hell the problem was. They said my arteries were clean and the defibs I was feeling werent really defibs. To this day I dont know what it was.

It was the chemicals the government sprays on the sky. Just look at the chemtrails on a clear day!  :old:
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline zack1234

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2014, 07:41:25 AM »
Join The GFC we will make you feel better :old:

There are no pies stored in this plane overnight

The GFC
Pipz lived in the Wilderness near Ontario

Offline Blackwulf

• Copper Member
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2014, 10:44:01 AM »
I had similar symptoms, and blew them off as well.
In my case, I kept having "heartburn" in the evenings, especially when laying down to go to sleep, and even asked my doctor about it.  He ran some tests, and they came back clean, but he did not do the heart enzymes as I was having no other symptoms.  Finally, I had the "big one" and it still felt like really bad heartburn.  Still thinking it was a stomach issue, I went to bed, and told the wife we would go have it checked in the morning.  Big mistake!
We went to the emergency room the next day because while I no longer had pain, I felt very bad, and had no energy.  Fortunately for me, the doctor on duty that day was actually retired and working part time, and had seen this exact thing numerous times before.  I knew I was probably in trouble when he overheard my wife describing my symptoms to the admitting nurse, spun on his heel and called for a crash cart :D

To cut the long story short, in my case, my left anterior was blocked so much they couldn't get a true reading, practically completely, the next two were around 90 - 95%, and for some odd reason the fourth was fine.  The contrast only pooled when they injected it except for the fourth.  I had to have an auxiliary pump installed to keep me alive until they could do the emergency triple bypass the next day, and they weren't greatly optimistic of my odds of surviving the surgery.  The discomfort I felt in the weeks leading up to the big one were believed to have been a series of smaller heart attacks.  I made it, but over time one of the bypasses failed, causing me to have another heart attack, this time due to it severely damaging a large section of my heart.

Sorry to bore you with so much detail, but I wanted to give a little background to emphasize both the OP's and my points:  In the weeks leading up to my first heart attack, the heart attack itself, and the second heart attack, at no time did I have the "normal" symptoms of a heart attack, it felt like just some bad heartburn, and for the big one, I felt a little short of breath.  No pain radiating into the left arm, etc.  Even my doctor didn't see it.  Looking back, I had a major clue that I overlooked that I want to share.  Obviously, I am no doctor and this is not medical advice.   When I had the "heartburn" I would grab some Tums, Maalox, or whatever, and it didn't go away.   I think that should have been of much more concern to both me and the doctor.

For Danny76, better to have it checked and find nothing, than do what I did! 

I'd also recommend to anyone over 40 to find a good cardiologist, and have a workup done.  They can spot things your general practitioner won't, and have the specialized equipment as well.  Make it a part of your annual physical.

Offline TheBug

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2014, 11:11:59 AM »
Damn Jimson, glad you caught it in time. 

Hope you're feeling better.  :salute
“It's a big ocean, you don't have to find the enemy if you don't want to."
  -Richard O'Kane

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2014, 11:29:45 AM »
I'm glad all of the guys with the above health stories are here with us and doing OK right now. <S>