Author Topic: Just Some Observations  (Read 1564 times)

Offline Banshee7

• Platinum Member
Just Some Observations
« on: January 28, 2014, 11:22:08 PM »
I quit playing this game regularly in the spring of 2010.  Since then, I have hopped on from time to time to get the updates, check in on everyone, and just to play a game I thoroughly enjoyed.  I have been back to the game playing pretty much every day for a solid month now, and I have noticed the game is the same as I left it, although worse in some cases.  It seems nowadays that the norm is to either horde or be horded.  You either fly with numbers or fly against them.  There's always those that are going to play the alt game to see who can come in the highest.  You take a break from the hordes for a little while by GVing, only to find a bomb**** coming in for an easy kill.  You kill the ords, but they come back up after you up a few sorties.  You up in a Wirblewind or Ostwind to thwart off the bomb****s, but they then hover out of range and you sit there wasting your time in a Flak while getting shot at by tanks. 

On the other hand, since my return, I have also found a few good fights (thanks to batfink, and most recently 0Whiskey).  I've found a few good tank fights, and I am finally getting used to GVing since the big update to the ground game.  I guess what I'm trying to say, is this game is like most other things--it's a roller coaster.  There are good times and bad times.  Sometimes I can get a little testing and go on a short rant, but it's all in good fun.  I've figured out you've got to take the good with the bad, because it's never going to be a perfect scenario in any case.  Just die and have fun!

#S#

Josh
Tours 86 - 296

Offline Max

• Platinum Member
Re: Just Some Observations
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2014, 07:31:08 AM »
Your experiences are pretty consistent with my experience of the game.

As I've stated before, when I began my subscription to AH1 in 2001, there were base take missions and hordes on all sides of the chessboard. Fariz and Ripsnort were then the flakhappy & Ghi of today. The main difference being, the hordes weren't quite as prevalent as today; there was much more pure air combat. I suspect the reason for this was the influx of Air Warrior pilots, many of whom had honed their skills over a number of years dating back to the late 80's and 90's. After the transition to AH2, the land grab (win the war) became more focused and predominant. Add to that the attrition of the former AW jocks.

Many of the newer AH2 players jump into the game with a lack of skill and knowledge. Many of those are the X-Box generation seeking instant action/gratification. Add in the fact that player #'s are less than half of what they were at one point. What easier way for a noob to escape the harsh reality of gaining/honing fighter skills then joining a horde/mission? The noobs of today will become the fighter jocks of tomorrow. I'm guessing that HTC's plan of improvement will attract back the numbers of yester-year.

Bottom line - it is what it is. As you say, you're gonna die, be it air or ground...have fun doing it.

Offline dmdchief

• Nickel Member
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2014, 08:37:21 AM »
yep ya'll pretty much hit the nail on the head,  I am not even throwing my monitor out in the yard any more, LOL

ab8aac/dmdchief
HAVE THE COURAGE TO STEP UP AND LEAD AND THE PUBLIC WILL FOLLOW

Offline shppr01

• AvA Staff Member
  • Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2014, 08:43:14 AM »
Banshee7,  Come in Thursday nights to the AvA. We are having tank wars there that night ! No bombs , no planes , just good ole tank fights! We have a good group that comes in and makes it fun . It put new joy in the game for me !  Check it out .. Thursdays , 9Pm EST.
Ingame : Shipper

Never put your gun down to hug a grizzly.

Offline Copprhed

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2014, 10:18:02 AM »
Ya know...I'm just plain gettin tired of people squeaking and complaining. Yes, people "horde" it was called superiority in numbers, it happened. Yes people HO, it happened. If you're so DAMNED upset with the game....quit. Complaining does no good, it doesn't change people, and it obviously doesn't change the game. All the people complaining, micromanaging, and being hypersensitive and hypercritical are making the game no fun for the people who just want to play.
Flight Leader: "Bogeys at 2 o'clock!"
Wingman: "Roger, It's 1:30 now, what do I do 'til then?"

Offline Zoney

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2014, 10:40:56 AM »
All the people complaining, micromanaging, and being hypersensitive and hypercritical are making the game no fun for the people who just want to play.

They don't make the game "no fun" for me.  I actually feel bad for them that they have not found their fun here yet is all.
Wag more, bark less.

Offline doc1kelley

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2014, 11:19:37 AM »
Your experiences are pretty consistent with my experience of the game.

As I've stated before, when I began my subscription to AH1 in 2001, there were base take missions and hordes on all sides of the chessboard. Fariz and Ripsnort were then the flakhappy & Ghi of today. The main difference being, the hordes weren't quite as prevalent as today; there was much more pure air combat. I suspect the reason for this was the influx of Air Warrior pilots, many of whom had honed their skills over a number of years dating back to the late 80's and 90's. After the transition to AH2, the land grab (win the war) became more focused and predominant. Add to that the attrition of the former AW jocks.

Many of the newer AH2 players jump into the game with a lack of skill and knowledge. Many of those are the X-Box generation seeking instant action/gratification. Add in the fact that player #'s are less than half of what they were at one point. What easier way for a noob to escape the harsh reality of gaining/honing fighter skills then joining a horde/mission? The noobs of today will become the fighter jocks of tomorrow. I'm guessing that HTC's plan of improvement will attract back the numbers of yester-year.

Bottom line - it is what it is. As you say, you're gonna die, be it air or ground...have fun doing it.

You have a great memory Max!  That is just how I remember it.

All the Best...

Jay
awDoc1
The Flying Circus Rocks! We're clowns of a different color!

Beer! helping ugly folks get laid!

Offline mechanic

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2014, 11:31:38 AM »
At least the way it is now the good fights are more valuable. And that was a great fight the other day :D
And I don't know much, but I do know this. With a golden heart comes a rebel fist.

Offline LCADolby

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2014, 11:41:21 AM »
Ya know...I'm just plain gettin tired of people squeaking and complaining. Yes, people "horde" it was called superiority in numbers, it happened. Yes people HO, it happened. If you're so DAMNED upset with the game....quit. Complaining does no good, it doesn't change people, and it obviously doesn't change the game. All the people complaining, micromanaging, and being hypersensitive and hypercritical are making the game no fun for the people who just want to play.

Copprhed complains, 30seconds later... Rage quits. It can't be fun for him, which is a shame.
JG5 "Eismeer"
YouTube+Twitch - 20Dolby10

"BE a man and shoot me in the back" - pez

Offline bozon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2014, 12:06:33 PM »
Copprhed complains, 30seconds later... Rage quits. It can't be fun for him, which is a shame.
You complain but don't quit. Must be fun for you. :)
Mosquito VI - twice the spitfire, four times the ENY.

Click!>> "So, you want to fly the wooden wonder" - <<click!
the almost incomplete and not entirely inaccurate guide to the AH Mosquito.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGOWswdzGQs

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2014, 12:12:09 PM »
Some people just have fun complaining all the time.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline LCADolby

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2014, 12:26:33 PM »
You complain but don't quit. Must be fun for you. :)

On a scale of 1 to 10 my determination is 11
JG5 "Eismeer"

Offline Nath[BDP]

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2014, 12:29:56 PM »
well said

++Blue Knights++
vocalist of the year

Offline Copprhed

• Silver Member
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2014, 12:35:00 PM »
From one of the primary complainers on vox in the game. "Everyone HOs, everyone picks".......I haven't quit the game, still flying. If I don't like the way things are going, I stop playing. I'm pragmatic. All I can say to you, Dolby, is that you keep alienating the people who used to be your defenders, myself being one. I had intended to leave our differences private, but since you chose to bring the insults public....
Flight Leader: "Bogeys at 2 o'clock!"
Wingman: "Roger, It's 1:30 now, what do I do 'til then?"

Offline LCADolby

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2014, 12:36:21 PM »
You don't get more public than getting caught on range coppr. ;)
JG5 "Eismeer"