Author Topic: Airfield orientation  (Read 1040 times)

Offline 1Cane

• Silver Member
Airfield orientation
« on: February 07, 2014, 08:04:27 PM »
I have noticed that small airfield orientation is not correct.  If the orientation is corrected you would know that the field has flipped and the VH is on the south end of the field rather than the north and adjust accordingly!  For example maps may show a northwest to southeast direction when actually you have a north east to a south west runway. :airplane:
AkCaine

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
Re: Airfield orientation
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2014, 09:08:55 AM »
Some were rotated....on purpose... on some of the maps just to spice things up, and remove the monotony of having all the base layouts the same.

Offline jeffdn

• Nickel Member
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2014, 10:43:17 AM »
The icon is not indicative of the orientation of the field, simply of its size (small, medium, or large field).

Offline Randy1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2014, 01:10:07 PM »
Some were rotated....on purpose... on some of the maps just to spice things up, and remove the monotony of having all the base layouts the same.

It would help through if they were right on the map.  They can turn them any angle just show them right on the map.

What would also help is when they draw spawn lines, have lines start at the edge of the air field instead of intersecting in the middle.

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2014, 03:18:07 PM »
It would help through if they were right on the map.  They can turn them any angle just show them right on the map.

What would also help is when they draw spawn lines, have lines start at the edge of the air field instead of intersecting in the middle.

Sure they could make it easier and do t that way.

How about you have a pre strike team, say 4 guys come in fast. Report back field lay out, and then all together (harder for ack to track) dive in and take out field ack in 3 passes. Now you know what the field lay out is, the field is deacked AND capped.

Offline 1Cane

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2014, 04:34:38 PM »
Maybe we could use this symbol for airfields :airplane:

I just don't think it's that  hard to have airfield symbols represent actual  orientation.  I know from experience when I looked at my chart it said runway 34/16 I know exactly which way the runway was.
AkCaine

Offline Volron

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2014, 06:31:08 PM »
Personally, I'd like it if the orientation for fields and towns were random each time a map began. :)

Maybe if the field icon's were replaced with a "?" until someone flew over it then landed successfully?  Once that was done, field orientation would show on the map for everyone?
Quote from: hitech
Wow I find it hard to believe it has been almost 38 days since our last path. We should have release another 38 versions by now  :bhead
HiTech
Quote from: Pyro
Quote from: Jolly
What on Earth makes you think that i said that sir?!
My guess would be scotch.

Offline RotBaron

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2014, 07:07:51 PM »
Personally, I'd like it if the orientation for fields and towns were random each time a map began. :)

Maybe if the field icon's were replaced with a "?" until someone flew over it then landed successfully?  Once that was done, field orientation would show on the map for everyone?

:aok  That would add realism.
They're casting their bait over there, see?

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2014, 08:45:43 PM »

arent the field orientation "hard coded" on the map itself?  and since we only have a few maps wont the orientation be known many moons ago?  it would just be hard for the new guys who are trying to figure out the game.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2014, 04:09:18 AM »
It would be pretty easy to create an app for your phone or tablet that has all this information available.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline ReVo

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2014, 07:04:19 AM »
This entire thread is a solution looking for a problem..
XO Jagdgeschwader 53 'Pik As'

Offline LCADolby

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2014, 08:45:43 AM »
:lol
JG5 "Eismeer"
YouTube+Twitch - 20Dolby10

"BE a man and shoot me in the back" - pez

Offline 1Cane

• Silver Member
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2014, 09:35:34 AM »
So why comment?
Since they had photo reconnaissance during the war is it too much to ask that our maps reflect actual field orientation?
AkCaine

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2014, 10:33:27 AM »
So why comment?
Since they had photo reconnaissance during the war is it too much to ask that our maps reflect actual field orientation?

cane it is very rare for a field not to be oriented the same way as the others.  just like there is some ports that are small airfields.  there's only 1 or 2, I dont see the need to waste time to "fix" something that isnt really a problem.  just make a note of it, put it next to the monitor and you will remember it over time.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline kvuo75

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2014, 11:41:40 AM »

exactly.
kvuo75

Kill the manned ack.