Author Topic: head position in combat  (Read 1157 times)

Offline Aspen

• Nickel Member
Re: head position in combat
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2014, 12:45:34 PM »
I zoom for long chase shots.  After 500 I can't see planes going away worth a darn if there is terrain in the back ground.  I also zoom when straffing.  Rarely zoom on any crossing or deflection shots, I judge lead and angle better without it.
AMAX  in game

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2014, 02:42:53 PM »
like others I have it map to a toggle button...

I use it to look closer at the nme con to see his positioning, I try to NOT use it while firing.

Offline Tinkles

• Silver Member
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2014, 02:45:47 PM »
like others I have it map to a toggle button...

I use it to look closer at the nme con to see his positioning, I try to NOT use it while firing.

same

Nothing to say more, I have. ~ Yoda

:D
If we have something to show we will & do post shots, if we have nothing new to show we don't.
HiTech
Adapt , Improvise, Overcome. ~ HiTech
Be a man and shoot me in the back ~ Morfiend

Offline Kingpin

• AH Training Corps
  • Silver Member
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2014, 07:15:59 PM »

the force is strong in this thread.

Oh, this isn't the thread I was looking for?

Moving along...
Quote from: bozon
For those of us playing this game for well over a decade, Aces High is more of a social club. The game just provides the framework. I keep logging in for the people and Pipz was the kind that you keep coming to meet again.

Offline HL117

• Nickel Member
      • Aircams
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2014, 11:46:33 PM »
Had zoom programmed to the mini stick on the CH throttle or was it a castle switch, great scott I am forgetting the buttons already.........

I sense a great disturbance if the force 
Whether you think you can or cannot, you are right!

Offline mtnman

• Gold Member
« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2014, 05:01:43 PM »
I prefer to have my head positioned as far back as possible / as far away from the sight as possible.

I have the zoom-toggle mapped to a button on my stick so that I can easily flick it on/off, and just adjust it to about 60-70%.

I never, ever use the zoom while fighting or shooting, or setting up my shots.

I occasionally use it to get a quick "snapshot" glimpse of a target, but even that's pretty rare.  Mainly if I do use it it's to get a quick glimpse of a fleeing target that's essentially stationary in my sight.

To me, I find it much, MUCH more important to keep the "big picture" view I get by maximizing my FOV as much as possible.  I have my FOV set at @105. 

SA (as far as what's going on around me, rather than focusing too much on the guy in front of me) is more important than carefully lining up my sights on a target.

Zooming while shooting, or even while setting up my shot prior to shooting is very detrimental to the way I time my shots.  Quite often if I shot while zoomed my target wouldn't even be in my view.
MtnMan

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not". Thomas Jefferson

Offline BluBerry

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2014, 05:37:29 PM »

To me, I find it much, MUCH more important to keep the "big picture" view I get by maximizing my FOV as much as possible.  I have my FOV set at @105. 

I agree FOV can make a big difference, I run my FOV at 130.

Offline Arbiter

• Zinc Member
« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2014, 06:06:29 PM »
I have zoom mapped to a button on my throttle.  Only use it when chasing or to get a quick close up of the area.  I never use it for firing.

I'll refrain from Star Wars references, lest some mistake me for someone else.  :P
Arbiter

Offline Slate

• Gold Member
« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2014, 09:31:11 AM »

I mostly zoom in when shooting womp rats that are trying to get away. They are as stupid as the designers that put a small thermal port beneath the main port with only ray shielding.  :D
I always wanted to fight an impossible battle against incredible odds.

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2014, 09:32:50 AM »
I agree FOV can make a big difference, I run my FOV at 130.

damn...doesnt that make everything small?

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2014, 09:50:57 AM »
damn...doesnt that make everything small?

No it doesnt,it does move your head position back but you can have a much larger field of view. I use 120,I've experimented with up to 135 degrees.I thought 90degrees field of view plus 45 extra and I could almost get away with a 4 way hat to see all around as the views would overlap.

I found that it was too much of a good thing,it effected my aim point and made me nausious,so I reduced it in steps to see what would work best for me,120 seems to work fine for me,I use a large wide screen monitor,and have been using this setting for several years.

BTW even at 120 you get overlapping views,makes SA much easier IMHO.

On a smaller 17 or 21 in monitor you might need to use a small FOV because once it gets to large you get a fisheye effect,this happend around 135 to 145 on my monitor.

:salute

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #26 on: February 11, 2014, 01:52:28 PM »
No it doesnt,it does move your head position back but you can have a much larger field of view. I use 120,I've experimented with up to 135 degrees.I thought 90degrees field of view plus 45 extra and I could almost get away with a 4 way hat to see all around as the views would overlap.

I found that it was too much of a good thing,it effected my aim point and made me nausious,so I reduced it in steps to see what would work best for me,120 seems to work fine for me,I use a large wide screen monitor,and have been using this setting for several years.

BTW even at 120 you get overlapping views,makes SA much easier IMHO.

On a smaller 17 or 21 in monitor you might need to use a small FOV because once it gets to large you get a fisheye effect,this happend around 135 to 145 on my monitor.

:salute

ahh....I use a small monitor and tried giving myself a wider view...diddnt like it.

Offline JimmyD3

• Gold Member
« Reply #27 on: February 11, 2014, 02:56:40 PM »
I use default zoom and have zoom toggle mapped to a button on my joystick.  During combat I'm constantly toggling zoom on and off depending on what field of view I need.

Same, not that it helps my gunnery much. :lol
Kenai77
CO Sic Puppies MWK
USAF 1971-76