Author Topic: head position in combat  (Read 1161 times)

Offline madrid311

• Copper Member
head position in combat
« on: February 08, 2014, 04:24:07 AM »
head position in  combatu put your view when in combat. I don't have track ir to move around in the cockpit . I do use zoom and the brackets to zoom in or out when I'm getting ready to drop some ords on a base or town target. I hit F10 to save the zoom I like. The gunsight reticle seems to come alive, It's very lively the closer you zoom. I was wondering does anybody use the zoom for air combat? I have not really tried it for any length of time in that scenario, when I did I didn't like it, may be I'm missing a tool in the shed so to speak.  :headscratch:
Quote from: hitech on Yesterday at 11:15:04 AM              
         I am happy you are having fun. HiTech                                                  
                  In game name : GunFTR

Offline madrid311

• Copper Member
Re: head position in combat
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2014, 04:26:06 AM »
Sorry for that first sentence. What head position do you use when flying in combat?
Quote from: hitech on Yesterday at 11:15:04 AM              
         I am happy you are having fun. HiTech                                                  
                  In game name : GunFTR

Offline Blooz

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2014, 04:57:46 AM »
"Your eyes can deceive you. Don't trust them." - Obiwan Kenobi
White 9
JG11 Sonderstaffel

"You can't vote your way out of communism."

Offline pipz

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2014, 05:07:36 AM »
I zoom in and out of my sight. If I am trying for some fine tuned aiming I zoom in. If I am going for a snap shot I may be zoomed out. In the past I tried staying in zoom the whole time but I felt I lost peripheral vision. It did look more lively though.

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." - Han Solo

"A bandit on your six is better than no bandit at all"  :)
Pipz
Silence tells me secretly everything.

Montreal! Free the Pitt Bulls!!!!!

Offline Randy1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2014, 08:12:22 AM »
Try this too.  Go to video setting and lower your FOV.  My default is 106 but I keep the FOV set at 96-98.  Instant zoom.  I then set my head position accordingly.

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2014, 08:42:03 AM »
the force is strong in this thread.
The Few ***
F.P.H

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2014, 08:54:58 AM »
I only zoom for those long shots where Im hoping just to lay a few pings on a fleeing target.

When you zoom in each little flick of your stick is magnified in zoom and can show you how twitchy your control on your stick really is.

"Good! Your hate has made you powerful" Emperor Palpatine

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2014, 09:34:40 AM »
When you zoom in each little flick of your stick is magnified in zoom and can show you how twitchy your control on your stick really is.
and the more zoom you use, the worse that "twitchy" effect is. in fighter/attack mode i tend to back off the default zoom 2 ticks rather than zooming in closer.
jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Offline caldera

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2014, 09:57:40 AM »
Using a lot of zoom seems to make it harder to get a solid shot but if you don't zoom, is your aim really any steadier - just because you don't see your rounds going all over the place?  ;)
"Then out spake brave Horatius, the Captain of the gate:
 To every man upon this earth, death cometh soon or late.
 And how can man die better, than facing fearful odds.
 For the ashes of his fathers and the temples of his Gods."

Offline Stresser

• Copper Member
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2014, 10:09:20 AM »
+1 for the earlier comments about zoom magnification amplifying control inputs on the screen.
Because of problems with things "twitching" when I was zoomed in, very early in my AH career I mapped the zoom in/out controls to a hat switch on my joy stick. Now I can make adjustments as need without taking my eyes off the target. Most of the time I only zoom in when the target is >400yd, and only for as long as it takes to take the shot.
Arguing with an engineer is like mud wrestling a pig...
Sooner or later you realize that they both like it.

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2014, 10:57:06 AM »
My ground chief is always stealing my binoculars to look at the pretty nurses on the other side of the base.

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2014, 11:11:34 AM »
Using a lot of zoom seems to make it harder to get a solid shot but if you don't zoom, is your aim really any steadier - just because you don't see your rounds going all over the place?  ;)

I'd say yes because IF your zoomed you will over correct and make the twitch even worst. When your not zoomed you take your shot and move on to the next one with out all that extra input going on.

Offline BluBerry

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2014, 11:15:39 AM »
I'd say yes because IF your zoomed you will over correct and make the twitch even worst. When your not zoomed you take your shot and move on to the next one with out all that extra input going on.

This may be true for you, but not for me. I zoom all the time and see no negatives associated with it.. Normally I line up my shot first, zoom in and when burst firing adjust to keep my hit sprites in the same area.

I can see though how if you didn't have a steady hand or stick, zooming could make it harder.

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2014, 11:40:46 AM »
I use default zoom and have zoom toggle mapped to a button on my joystick.  During combat I'm constantly toggling zoom on and off depending on what field of view I need.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline BluBerry

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2014, 11:52:20 AM »
I use default zoom and have zoom toggle mapped to a button on my joystick.  During combat I'm constantly toggling zoom on and off depending on what field of view I need.

same