Author Topic: 190 Dora defensive tactics  (Read 1237 times)

Offline Muzzy

• Silver Member
190 Dora defensive tactics
« on: February 08, 2014, 11:27:53 AM »
Hi all,

I've been flying the Dora a lot this tour and wanted to ask if anyone knows good evasive tactics for it. Normally I use the barrel roll defense, but I find that the turn radius on the Dora makes it difficult to execute. What tactics can you use in a Dora to force an overshoot?

CO 111 Sqdn Black Arrows

Wng Cdr, No. 2 Tactical Bomber Group, RAF, "Today's Target" Scenario. "You maydie, but you will not be bored!"

Offline Skyyr

• Silver Member
Re: 190 Dora defensive tactics
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2014, 11:58:11 AM »
Hi all,

I've been flying the Dora a lot this tour and wanted to ask if anyone knows good evasive tactics for it. Normally I use the barrel roll defense, but I find that the turn radius on the Dora makes it difficult to execute. What tactics can you use in a Dora to force an overshoot?

The Dora is not a turn fighter. It has one of the worst turning radii in the game (it's the 3rd worst). Further, it has very high wing loading, meaning you lose a lot of airspeed to maintain the same sustained G's in a turn that a low wing-loading aircraft (such as a Spitfire has). It does have one of the best roll rates in the game and it's fast - it's slightly faster than all but of a few aircraft under 15k.

Keeping this in mind, you want to use your roll rate to your aircraft's advantage. You don't always want to force an aircraft to overshoot, you want to force an advantage. The poor turning abilities of the Dora mean that it can't sustain turns for very long, so you have to use small, but quick reversals. If a faster plane falls in behind you, you'll want to accelerate as much as possible, and then use the Dora's roll rate to go to a scissors, using some vertical component when the bandit gets close to force an overshoot. If a slower plane falls in behind you, use your roll rate to keep your plane of maneuvering out of the bandits. This will force him to have to pull harder (more G's = more drag) and you will gradually pull away from him.

The Dora is a plane that is good at a lot of things, but not great at anything except going fast and rolling well. This makes it a very difficult plane to fly successfully and many ACM tactics have to be modified to fit the plane. I fly it almost exclusively in the MA, so hit me up if you'd like to do some ACM work.
Skyyr

Tours:
166 - 190
198 - 204
218 - 220
286 - 287
290 - ---

nrshida: "I almost beat Skyyr after he took a 6 year break!"
A few moments later...

vs Shane: 28-9

"Some men just want to watch the world burn."

Offline BnZs

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2014, 02:03:13 PM »
If you want to defend you need to get going very fast, which is easy for you, and make him think you are running away. If you get very fast and see the distance increasing, extending is probably the plan you should roll with. But anyway, get to very high speed. At high speed nothing turns better than you and you know how Skyrr mentioned how much the 190 bleeds E? That means that when you cut throttle and pull Gs, you'll be bleeding faster than the other guy, while his high speed will be harder for him to dump. Your whole thing is probably going to get a situation where he overshoots a little bit and you can turn in an opposite heading and extend. But hey, if he makes a gross overshoot, go ahead and take your shot. You'll notice the guns on a Dora are all fairly close together, wingroots and cowl, so you can hit from a little way out.
"Crikey, sir. I'm looking forward to today. Up diddly up, down diddly down, whoops, poop, twiddly dee - decent scrap with the fiendish Red Baron - bit of a jolly old crash landing behind enemy lines - capture, torture, escape, and then back home in time for tea and medals."

Offline BnZs

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2014, 02:07:12 PM »
The other thing is that sometimes going up and getting very, very, very slow can be your friend in maneuvering the Dora...because the flaps do help but the first notch comes out at 175...
"Crikey, sir. I'm looking forward to today. Up diddly up, down diddly down, whoops, poop, twiddly dee - decent scrap with the fiendish Red Baron - bit of a jolly old crash landing behind enemy lines - capture, torture, escape, and then back home in time for tea and medals."

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2014, 03:50:13 PM »
Best defensive tactic in the Dora: Always have a wingman.   :old:
”KILLER V”
Charter Member of the P-51 Mustang Skin Mafia
King of the Hill Champ, Tour 219
The Damned
King of the Hill Win Percentage - 100 (1 Win, 0 Losses)

Offline katanaso

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2014, 08:58:49 PM »
Muzzy, look up Pervert in the game, if you see him online.  I don't know if he's willing to share tips or give advice, but he's one of the best in making the Dora 'do' what it's not supposed to be capable of doing.

mir
80th FS "Headhunters"

The most terrifying words in the English language are: "I'm from the government and I'm here to help."

Offline Muzzy

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2014, 11:52:01 PM »
Muzzy, look up Pervert in the game, if you see him online.  I don't know if he's willing to share tips or give advice, but he's one of the best in making the Dora 'do' what it's not supposed to be capable of doing.

Haven't seen him on in a long time, and by that I mean I haven't been shot down by him lately. :) But I will keep these tips in mind. Thanks a lot for the advice, guys.

CO 111 Sqdn Black Arrows

Wng Cdr, No. 2 Tactical Bomber Group, RAF, "Today's Target" Scenario. "You maydie, but you will not be bored!"

Offline Debrody

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2014, 05:30:17 AM »
There is no universal defense tactic - if the fight lasts long, sooner or later you will lose it.
Surprise the opponent, make quick reversals, use the throttle/rudder/stick as radically as its possible, be either very fast or very slow. The best you can achieve is one crossing snapshot.

One thing you have in your pocket: the surprise. Almost noone would expect a 190 to slow down instead of trying to run away.
AoM
City of ice

Offline BnZs

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2014, 05:50:50 AM »
Haven't seen him on in a long time, and by that I mean I haven't been shot down by him lately. :) But I will keep these tips in mind. Thanks a lot for the advice, guys.

Shot me down a couple weeks ago. Literally like 3 guys in Corsairs and stuff overshot my Dora, and Perv in his own Dora was the one who actually managed his speed :D

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2014, 04:20:31 PM »
 BRD..... barrel roll defence!

Break hard into the enemy and start a rolling scissor.   This may be difficult do to lack or turn rate but the excellent roll and power of the D9 can allow you to go nose up to control your airspeed and only chop throttle when you know you can get a shot out of it,otherwise you need all the thrust you can manage!

YMMV!

:salute

Offline Muzzy

• Silver Member
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2014, 10:45:46 PM »
BRD..... barrel roll defence!

Break hard into the enemy and start a rolling scissor.   This may be difficult do to lack or turn rate but the excellent roll and power of the D9 can allow you to go nose up to control your airspeed and only chop throttle when you know you can get a shot out of it,otherwise you need all the thrust you can manage!

YMMV!

:salute

I've had success using the BRD in an FM2 but with the Dora it doesn't seem to help much. Either the con stays on me through repeated rolls and eventually gets me, or he never overshoots.

CO 111 Sqdn Black Arrows

Offline BluBerry

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2014, 11:54:17 PM »
I've had success using the BRD in an FM2 but with the Dora it doesn't seem to help much. Either the con stays on me through repeated rolls and eventually gets me, or he never overshoots.

FM2 is much more nimble then the Dora, but as far as BRD.. Dora is essentially the best roller in the game.

Offline pervert

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2014, 12:18:15 AM »
http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,359079.0.html

posted that in films section as 4shared has 20000000 million adverts on it these days good luck  :salute

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2014, 12:25:45 AM »
If I remember I'll try to post film this weekend of going 1:5 with an A-8 against P-47's and P-51's in a scenario while getting one kill and almost another.  I know it's not a Dora but the concepts are similar.

The key is using your roll rate to stay out of plane with your opponents until you get either the overshoot or bring the fight to opposing circles.

Using verticle manouvers also works but only if you have an E advantage.  I'm not sure if I have film of that or if I could even find it if I do but, again, if I remember, I'll look (but again it will be with an A-8... Doras are for sissies  :D).
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline Vudu15

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2014, 07:29:25 PM »
with the BRD you need to make the roll much larger based on your speed and keep and eye on the red guy and adjust your amount of roll to counter him you may even reverse and throw him that way. When in doubt stay moving they may get you but it'll take em longer.
"No odds too great"

"I was a horse ahead at the end" - Nathan Bedford Forrest
Training Video List https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL54E5CE