Author Topic: anyone use DSL or any experience in the past?  (Read 1058 times)

Offline 100Coogn

• Gold Member
Re: anyone use DSL or any experience in the past?
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2014, 09:19:19 PM »
Are you perhaps talking about 6MB/s downstream speed, which means the speed you're paying for to the ISP. You see, there's always two sides in download speeds: Your downstream speed and the upstream speed of the other side. Some download sites give multiple alternatives from which to choose and I've never seen higher than 1MB servers! There's also many variables which affect your download speeds, like the amount of traffic at both the server and your ISP, distance to the server, time of the day, your anti-virus, your connection to the modem - wired or wi-fi...

But if a speed test to your nearest test server gives you constantly less than about 4MB/s ratings, there's something wrong with your connections.

I just did an online speed test from CenturyLink.
Download=5.80 Mbps     Upload=0.43 Mbps

That's what they say.  Looks good on paper, but I've never seen those numbers while downloading or uploading anything.
As I was saying, DSL is good for AHII for me.  Very steady variance in delay.

Coogan'
From Wiley: If you're hitting them after they drop, that's not defense, that is revenge.
Game Id's:
AHIII: Coogan
RDR2: Coogan_Bear
MSFS-2020: Coogan Bear

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2014, 07:19:22 AM »
I just did an online speed test from CenturyLink.
Download=5.80 Mbps     Upload=0.43 Mbps

That's what they say.  Looks good on paper, but I've never seen those numbers while downloading or uploading anything.
As I was saying, DSL is good for AHII for me.  Very steady variance in delay.

Coogan'

Very good numbers you've got there! Certainly will run AH like a charm.

As I said, the download speed is a deal of two. That 5.80 is the max speed you can receive, but you can't get more than the other party can send. As you can see your Upload speed is 0.43 Mbps, which is the fastest anyone can get from you no matter how fast download speed they may have. And even that will be divided with the number of simultaneous downloads. Of course big companies with huge server resources have much faster upload speeds, but they also have many downloaders. They may also limit the bandwidth of a single downloader to allow more downloads at the same time. My connection is 20/2 and I've very seldom seen a 1Mbps download, mostly it's something from 100 to 500 kbps.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline 100Coogn

• Gold Member
« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2014, 09:35:55 AM »
Very good numbers you've got there! Certainly will run AH like a charm.

As I said, the download speed is a deal of two. That 5.80 is the max speed you can receive, but you can't get more than the other party can send. As you can see your Upload speed is 0.43 Mbps, which is the fastest anyone can get from you no matter how fast download speed they may have. And even that will be divided with the number of simultaneous downloads. Of course big companies with huge server resources have much faster upload speeds, but they also have many downloaders. They may also limit the bandwidth of a single downloader to allow more downloads at the same time. My connection is 20/2 and I've very seldom seen a 1Mbps download, mostly it's something from 100 to 500 kbps.
Agreed.   :aok

Coogan
From Wiley: If you're hitting them after they drop, that's not defense, that is revenge.
Game Id's:
AHIII: Coogan
RDR2: Coogan_Bear
MSFS-2020: Coogan Bear