Author Topic: anyone use DSL or any experience in the past?  (Read 1079 times)

Offline 68valu

• Nickel Member
anyone use DSL or any experience in the past?
« on: May 18, 2014, 02:33:59 PM »
I am going to be moving into a new home and it is not wired for internet other than phone lines. I was wondering if DSL will play the game effectively or not.

Any advice or knowledge appreciated

68valu
Flying since tour 84

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
Re: anyone use DSL or any experience in the past?
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2014, 02:48:42 PM »
brother in law flew on DSL for years never had an issue.

Offline steely07

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2014, 07:58:03 PM »
I play on DSL from Australia, it's about a 220 Ping, plays fine, it's not so much the speed of the connection, it's the consistency that counts.

You should be fine, invoking Skuzzy to confirm :)
Aces High, Wing Commander, Dickweed Heavy Bomber Group: www.dickweedhbg.com

FSO Films : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFs6CAXBQoVBctljybD65fA?view_as=subscriber

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2014, 09:03:12 PM »
There are at least a dozen different flavors of DSL. I think the two best are Verrzon's FiOS (Fiber optic to the home) and AT&T U-Verse (Fiber Optic to the curb) and both offer 50Mbps speeds. Customer service with either company is another matter.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline jigsaw

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2014, 05:52:27 AM »
There are at least a dozen different flavors of DSL. I think the two best are Verrzon's FiOS (Fiber optic to the home) and AT&T U-Verse (Fiber Optic to the curb) and both offer 50Mbps speeds. Customer service with either company is another matter.

AT&T U-Verse customer service is amazingly horrible.  I'm really looking forward to the day when Fios is an option in my area.

Offline edge12674

• Nickel Member
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2014, 08:07:46 AM »
I have been using DSL on Verizon for about 14 years as it is the only thing available.  I have had no issues in AH with it.  Usually DSL is only available if it is within a certain distance radius of a switching station.  I would suggest you contact the phone carrier you plan to use to make sure your physical address is close enough for DSL.

TShark
"If you are alone and meet a lone Zero, run like hell...You're outnumbered" - Joe Foss USMC 26 kills

Offline Dragon

• Platinum Member
      • AH JUGS
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2014, 08:56:37 AM »
I had more issues with my cable connection than I ever did with DSL.  Running U-Verse now and no stutters or discos.
SWchef  Lieutenant Colonel  Squadron Training Officer  125th Spartan Warriors

Offline Copprhed

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2014, 10:54:01 AM »
Fios will be adding the cities they have already announced, and then no more. Fios will not be expanding further, as stated by Verizon recently. DSL is great. I have 12 mb uverse and it's very good., once the upgraded the line from the terminal to inside my apartment. ATT's service is iffy, you have to be persistent and they get it done.
Flight Leader: "Bogeys at 2 o'clock!"
Wingman: "Roger, It's 1:30 now, what do I do 'til then?"

Offline 68valu

• Nickel Member
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2014, 11:13:59 AM »
Centurylink is what I have access to. 12 Mbps is the max available.

68valu
Flying since tour 84

Offline Pudgie

• Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2014, 04:17:23 PM »
Currently on CenturyLink DSL & have never had any issues running any online games on it.

I started out w/ DSL on Qwest thru the MSN deal & have been on it since....as you may know CenturyLink bought out Qwest 2-3 yrs back.

Been on DSL for the past 13 yrs w/ absolutely no issues in line quality or bandwidth but in fairness I also live well within the DSLAM line-feet limitation range.

In fact if my pitching arm was still in shape I could throw a rock & hit the CenturyLink DSLAM from my house. Real line feet distance is less than 800' using 50's era wire......................... .................... :D

I have the 5MB residential package, have 2 computers wired (my AH II box in sig is 1 of them) to my Zoom X7N router (to get wireless N capabilities) & have 1 laptop, 2 cell phones, 3 tablets & our Dish Networks Hopper receiver connected wirelessly & I haven't had any issues w/ connection while running AH II.

I think you'll be just fine......................

Hope this helps you out....................

:salute
Win 10 Home 64, AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, MSI MPG X570 Gaming Plus, GSkill FlareX 32Gb DDR4 3200 4x8Gb, XFX Radeon RX 6900X 16Gb, Samsung 950 Pro 512Gb NVMe PCI-E SSD (boot), Samsung 850 Pro 128Gb SATA SSD (pagefile), Creative SoundBlaster X7 DAC-AMP, Intel LAN, SeaSonic PRIME Gold 850W, all CLWC'd

Offline fbEagle

• Nickel Member
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2014, 10:42:54 AM »
I have century link DSL. Supposed to get 1.5mb/s download. Lucky if i get 150kb/s. Works fine for browsing and playing AH though. Just pray you don't have to download anything.
<Insert witty remark here>

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2014, 04:20:25 AM »
DSL speeds depend on the line attenuation which depends on the condition of the phone lines and (mostly) your physical distance from the nearest DSLAM. If you happen to live somewhere out of center like I do, getting fast download speeds can be tricky.

I had to fight with my ISP for many years before they agreed to fix my connection by moving DSLAMs - but even then I'm not getting the full rate Im paying for. Or my company is.

Keep in mind that if your ISP attempts to set a higher speed to your line than it can handle, you _will_ experience internet outages and lag. ISPs can put a big buffer to your connection to help it maintain a higher speed rating than otherwise possible. For internet games its better to settle for a lower speed and skip the buffering. You just have to make up your mind if you need fast speeds or low ping more. IMO fast download speed is probably the better deal anyway.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline 100Coogn

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2014, 08:40:55 AM »
I have century link DSL. Supposed to get 1.5mb/s download. Lucky if i get 150kb/s. Works fine for browsing and playing AH though. Just pray you don't have to download anything.

Same here, except that I'm supposed to get 6MB/s download.  It's never gone faster than 600KB/s.    :headscratch:
It does work good for playing AHII. 

Coogan
From Wiley: If you're hitting them after they drop, that's not defense, that is revenge.
Game Id's:
AHIII: Coogan
RDR2: Coogan_Bear
MSFS-2020: Coogan Bear

Offline Pudgie

• Silver Member
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2014, 01:20:53 PM »

On the part of whether I'm getting all the download speed of the package that I'm paying for I don't know if I am or not. Back in the days when I 1st got DSL thru Qwest I used to run them speed checking programs but in the last 6-7 yrs I just stopped worrying about it.......I judged my connection since then on the main barometers (stable, fast, trouble-free, availability, etc).

What I DO know is that I don't have any issues w/ slowdowns when downloading on my CenturyLink DSL connection.
My connection uses PPPOA instead of PPPOE......mostly due to the 50's era wire & phone system. It's an older protocol but it allows full 1500 bit packets instead of 1492 bit ones.....probably small fish but there you go.......... :D

1 thing I did learn about ADSL is your connection will be better if you get rid of line filters between your ADSL modem & the line at your phone box. If you can run a separate line for your DSL connection from your phone box then separate all other phone lines AT THE PHONE BOX from the rail that has your ADSL wire, put them on another rail, split the service from the line between the 2 rails & use 1 filter placed in the service connect to the rail that has all the phone lines connected. I did this in my phone box & my connection improved big time as now my ADSL connection was unhampered by any filters. Bout 4 yrs back a CenturyLink tech was out checking their lines in my neighborhood after a report of a pole getting hit causing service interruptions...when the tech opened my service box & saw what I had done he was impressed & told me that he was going to show this to his folks. 2 weeks after this the same tech came back to show me that CenturyLink had either found/developed an ADSL line splitter device w/ a built-in filter to do the exact same thing that I had done using 2 phone rails but this device could do this across 1 phone rail & they wanted to install it in my box to test it. Device was installed & I saw no difference in connection performance or our phone service so I deemed that it was working as designed. Been using it ever since w/ no issues.

If it makes a difference I also am not using a modem provided by CenturyLink....my original ADSL connection was thru Qwest w/ MSN which used an ID/passcode sign up which simulated a std dialup connection meaning that there isn't any back door coding between the DSLAM & me that would force me to use the CenturyLink-provided modem....any std ADSL modem using std protocols will work but all ADSL modems aren't the same & you kinda need to know how you're gonna use your line to know what features you will need in your modem. I also run my work laptop thru my home connection (it's faster than the Alltel 4GTE hotspot my job issued) so I knew I would need ISPEC & VPN along w/ WPA2. I also found out thru my wife getting a Kindle Fire tablet & that Amazon had screwed up the backwards compatibilities in their vers of Android 3 that I had to have wireless N capabilities in my modem to quiet the wife ack. So I use the ZOOM ADSL modems (had a X6 to start with for many years but had to up to the X7N bout 1 1/2 yrs back)...not due to superior speeds but due to stability (used to own a ZOOM external 56K modem back in the days of dialup that was rock solid....figured these would be as well....was not disappointed).

Just some things to consider..................... ............

Hope this helps.

:salute
Win 10 Home 64, AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, MSI MPG X570 Gaming Plus, GSkill FlareX 32Gb DDR4 3200 4x8Gb, XFX Radeon RX 6900X 16Gb, Samsung 950 Pro 512Gb NVMe PCI-E SSD (boot), Samsung 850 Pro 128Gb SATA SSD (pagefile), Creative SoundBlaster X7 DAC-AMP, Intel LAN, SeaSonic PRIME Gold 850W, all CLWC'd

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2014, 01:23:13 PM »
Same here, except that I'm supposed to get 6MB/s download.  It's never gone faster than 600KB/s.    :headscratch:
It does work good for playing AHII. 

Coogan

Are you perhaps talking about 6MB/s downstream speed, which means the speed you're paying for to the ISP. You see, there's always two sides in download speeds: Your downstream speed and the upstream speed of the other side. Some download sites give multiple alternatives from which to choose and I've never seen higher than 1MB servers! There's also many variables which affect your download speeds, like the amount of traffic at both the server and your ISP, distance to the server, time of the day, your anti-virus, your connection to the modem - wired or wi-fi...

But if a speed test to your nearest test server gives you constantly less than about 4MB/s ratings, there's something wrong with your connections.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni