Author Topic: Only 16 players inflight in the MA right now.  (Read 7165 times)

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
Re: Only 16 players inflight in the MA right now.
« Reply #120 on: February 20, 2014, 04:06:12 PM »
Actually I'm playing Il-2 Clod now with the Fusion mod. I just can't justify the expenses of playing AH with the dated graphics. However, like I said, I have high hopes for the GFX update in the works. I also have a huge backlog of purchased games on Steam that I'm trying to get through as well.

Can't justify the expenses but have a backlog of purchased games? You're that 'pretty picture' type someone was talking about, aren'tcha?  ;)

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #121 on: February 20, 2014, 04:07:28 PM »
Wow it looks like we might be getting close to being back on topic!  :banana:

We never left the topic, you only thought we did.  :lol

Offline Gemini

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #122 on: February 20, 2014, 04:08:48 PM »
But the number of people who actually wanted to simulate ACM was much higher *only* 5-10 years ago but has dropped? Why? Could a sudden spate of flying movies or the 100th anniversary of WWI change that?

Wow it looks like we might be getting close to being back on topic!  :banana:

My feeling is that there are still the same amount of people who want to simulate ACM, dogfighting, historic planes, etc...but I think a lot of people have unsubscribed from AH because of a lack players/combat (whether that is because of empty arenas, too large maps, too many people running away and not enough fighting, or whatever...).

Whether they have gone to other flight sims, or just hung up their joysticks, I can't say...

Just my opinion.

Can't justify the expenses but have a backlog of purchased games? You're that 'pretty picture' type someone was talking about, aren'tcha?  ;)

Actually, it might be that you are so busy playing only one video game (AH) that you have not encountered the beauty and wonder of Steam and Steam sales :D  If you had, you'd understand GScholz's dilemma heheh

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #123 on: February 20, 2014, 04:14:49 PM »
But the number of people who actually wanted to simulate ACM was much higher *only* 5-10 years ago but has dropped? Why? Could a sudden spate of flying movies or the 100th anniversary of WWI change that?

I chalk it up to the particular subset of people who are interested in it, and have the time to throw at it to enjoy it.  Small subset of a small subset.

For YOU yes ..and maybe for me to ,but numbers are dropping,not because its a great sim.
Then why,with more gamers then ever?

Look at the most popular games though.  MMORPG's.  No consequences (yes, EvE... moving on...), no thought required, hit the buzzer get a cookie.  FPS's just require twitch reflexes and a modicum of learning if you want to be competent.  Nowhere near the learning curve here.

This type of game is simply not popular, regardless of how many ads they buy.  Graphics might help some, but it's not like there is a gigantic pool of people sitting out there looking for this kind of gameplay that are either unaware it exists or just can't get past the graphics.

My feeling is that there are still the same amount of people who want to simulate ACM, dogfighting, historic planes, etc...but I think a lot of people have unsubscribed from AH because of a lack players/combat (whether that is because of empty arenas, too large maps, too many people running away and not enough fighting, or whatever...).

I think the majority of the people who are still looking for gaming as a hobby who left for those reasons are in WT.  Round based, instant action.  FM fidelity is ass, but you can find an arcadey fight quickly.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #124 on: February 20, 2014, 04:16:54 PM »
For some that don't like the current graphics, you can use SweetFX to drastically improve the look of AH.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Sunka

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
      • http://www.327th.com/
« Reply #125 on: February 20, 2014, 04:19:12 PM »
For some that don't like the current graphics, you can use SweetFX to drastically improve the look of AH.

ack-ack
So do you feel like this will help Aces High's numbers?
Someday the mountain might getem but the law nvr will. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SP5EkvOGMCs

Offline GScholz

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #126 on: February 20, 2014, 04:22:36 PM »

AH, or any subscription based game for that matter, is a recurring cost. A game needs to be pretty darn good to justify $14.95 a month. That's close to $180 a year. I can get a lot of AAA titles for that kind of money on Steam sales.

And it's not just the money, but also the time spent.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2014, 04:26:00 PM by GScholz »
"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #127 on: February 20, 2014, 04:25:05 PM »
So do you feel like this will help Aces High's numbers?

It might keep those wanting to leave over the graphics a reason to stay.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Sunka

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #128 on: February 20, 2014, 04:26:49 PM »
Maybe HTC should some how promote it with game then.
Someday the mountain might getem but the law nvr will. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SP5EkvOGMCs

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #129 on: February 20, 2014, 04:28:48 PM »
AH, or any subscription based game for that matter, is a recurring cost. A game needs to be pretty darn good to justify $14.95 a month. That's close to $180 a year. I can get a lot of AAA titles for that kind of money on Steam sales.

And I think that illustrates one of the changes in AH population.  For many of the oldtimers, AW and AH (and Warbirds and FA) aren't like other games, they aren't even close to other games.  I can't imagine myself, for example, being remotely interested in playing a first-person shooter or a Star Trek "simulation" or a men-in-tights game.  

As others have said, it's a niche market, and it's getting older very quickly.

- oldman

Offline BnZs

• Platinum Member
« Reply #130 on: February 20, 2014, 04:32:52 PM »
I could see HTC eventually adding some adjustments to the game like what SweetFX already does. I think a lot of people would like simply turning up the vibrancy of the colors, for instance.
"Crikey, sir. I'm looking forward to today. Up diddly up, down diddly down, whoops, poop, twiddly dee - decent scrap with the fiendish Red Baron - bit of a jolly old crash landing behind enemy lines - capture, torture, escape, and then back home in time for tea and medals."

Offline Sunka

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #131 on: February 20, 2014, 04:34:38 PM »

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #132 on: February 20, 2014, 04:36:17 PM »
Actually, it might be that you are so busy playing only one video game (AH) that you have not encountered the beauty and wonder of Steam and Steam sales :D  If you had, you'd understand GScholz's dilemma heheh

Or it may be I have and am still not as impressed with or have as much fun with them as AHII (if one was to tone down their presumption gland). I found it ironic that G has the disposable cash to enjoy everything but AHII (because of graphics?). Ahem.

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #133 on: February 20, 2014, 04:39:29 PM »
Ive tried to get people to play AH...I did get one who flew for awhile....but his life is too busy to play anymore....

a few who seemed interested I told them sit down....I made them roll....without Auto pilot...and ask them to shoot down a drone.....

how many actually got in the air?

my kids friends all think the graphics suck and have zero interest in it.

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #134 on: February 20, 2014, 04:39:41 PM »

And it's not just the money, but also the time spent.

And AHII ain't good enough for you .... because of graphics and it costs too much. Yes, we live on different planets.  :D