Author Topic: Icon colors flicker in and out  (Read 1055 times)

Offline Zambelli

• Silver Member
Icon colors flicker in and out
« on: February 18, 2014, 09:47:06 PM »
Hello.  Got a new PC.  Since loading AH.... icon colors flicker in and out.  One sec a friendly is green, then white.  Some icons in my fow are white, some red, some green.  There seems to be no rhyme or reason to it.  Become very annoying when they blend in with sky color.  How do I fix this please?

Thanks
Zambelli
Jagdgeschwader 11

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
Re: Icon colors flicker in and out
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2014, 06:18:54 AM »
Intel video chip?
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Zambelli

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2014, 06:57:04 AM »
Dont know.   Its a dell computer.  How do I find out.   Thanks.
Zambelli
Jagdgeschwader 11

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2014, 07:04:15 AM »
Dont know.   Its a dell computer.  How do I find out.   Thanks.
Three ways, at least: 1) The Dell website with the model number, 2) DxDiag. You can send the first third of it here for further advice since it includes further information about your computer. 3) Device Manager in the Control Panel, look for Display Adapter. 4) Display Options...
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2014, 08:39:14 AM »
If it is an Intel video chip, there is not much that can be done.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2014, 10:02:53 AM »
If it is an Intel video chip, there is not much that can be done.
Unless... There's some variables that would be nice to know. A laptop with an Intel video chip is definitely beyond salvation. A laptop with two different video chips will only need correcting a setting. A desktop without a pci-e slot is good for your granny. A desktop with a pci-e slot can be turned into a serious gaming rig with some extra parts. Dell makes all of these variations. Since you don't seem to know much about computers (not you, Skuzzy, I'm addressing this to Zambelli) you still have a 50-50 chance between Yippee and Oh Crap!
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2014, 10:34:29 AM »
I should have elaborated.  If the computer only has an Intel video chip, the only option to cure the problem is to add in another graphics board, if the computer can handle it.

Many OEM computers (Dell, HP,....) make use of a power supply designed to handle the load of the computer they built, requiring it to be replaced if a higher performance video card is to be added in.  Some of the OEM's remove the ability for a video card to be added, which makes those computers, "what you see is what you get".

Dell will have all the options available to your computer.

First thing is to determine what video card/chip is in the computer.  The symptoms sound very much like it has an Intel video chip.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2014, 11:31:02 AM »
At the end of the day a computer isn't a computer isn't a computer. You can put one together that'll do a perfect job of surfing or email for not a lot of bucks, but it just won't do the sort of gaming that AH is at all. If you put together a purpose built gaming rig it WILL do that and all the other stuff you'd use it for. You can start out with a decent motherboard, CPU and PSU that'll allow for expansion in order to "future proof" yourself if you change gears from more surfing to more gaming. If you do it the other way around (as it sounds like is what happened) you just can't do it that way. You'll build in limitations that will preclude that gear change if you want to.

The first question when putting together a rig, whether you're gonna get a Dell, etc., or you're building it yourself, should always be--what am I gonna want to use this for? Do I NEED the best of the best CPU? Do I NEED a ton of RAM? Do I NEED that kickazz video card? Whatever that all adds up to the next question should be--what size PSU do I need to run all that stuff? Then have a plan around the answers to those questions and start there.

After building my current rig myself I'm a huge fan of DIY. If this handsomehunk wrench turner can do it anybody can.
"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

FSO flying with the 412th Friday Night Volunteer Group

Offline BluBerry

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2014, 11:34:14 AM »
If this handsomehunk wrench turner can do it anybody can.

:lol

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2014, 03:08:47 PM »
Dang Correctifying thingy! <shakes fist>
 :lol
"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Zambelli

• Silver Member
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2014, 07:19:45 PM »
Intel hd graphics 2500.   So now what..  I need some sort of new video card?   :bhead
Zambelli
Jagdgeschwader 11

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2014, 06:23:52 AM »
Intel hd graphics 2500.   So now what..  I need some sort of new video card?   :bhead

We have made the game where it will work with that Intel video chip, but there are limitations.  That chip is not designed for real time 3D graphics.  It runs Microsoft Office and a WEB browser just fine though.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline Zambelli

• Silver Member
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2014, 06:56:28 AM »
Is there some kind of card or chip I can replace to fix this?  What should I get?
Zambelli
Jagdgeschwader 11

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2014, 07:30:17 AM »
If all you have available to you is the built-in Intel HD graphics, as Skuzzy points out--it's really not for this. This being intensive 3D games like AH. That built-in graphics is for "HD games" like you'd have on a cell phone only the PC version. Not anything like a game like this. Oh it'll run the program but........it'll..............be........... .just........a little bit..........choppy! You'll need to buy an actual video card but the question is--do you even have a PCIe slot for it on your motherboard? If not you're kinda screwed.

Do your homework before you buy. Them interwebs gots all da answers for ya!
"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2014, 07:55:41 AM »
Is there some kind of card or chip I can replace to fix this?  What should I get?
Now would be the time for you to give us some more information about your Dell: Is it a desktop or a laptop? Which model is it?

Each of the four variables I've mentioned earlier in this post is still viable until you've given that information.

Kotisivuni