Author Topic: Words simply fail me  (Read 2144 times)

Offline rpm

• Plutonium Member
Words simply fail me
« on: February 19, 2014, 06:36:42 AM »
I refuse to repost the pic, but it's in the link.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2014/02/18/national-guard-coffin-photo/5579065/

I have no idea what was running thru their minds or who trained these kids, but this is not acceptable behavior. We put the fun in funeral? What the hell were they thinking taking that pic? Heads will roll.

The photo was taken with an empty casket at a training facility in Arkansas, Rickert said. A second photo has drawn attention from the same social media account depicting the female soldier complaining about the cold weather in Wisconsin and an upcoming outdoor funeral.

Spc. Terry Harrison, who posted the photo on Instagram, was “indefinitely suspended,” Rickert said. She is a member of the Madison-based 1st Battalion, 147th Aviation Regiment.
My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.
Stay thirsty my friends.

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
Re: Words simply fail me
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2014, 08:53:13 AM »
i've seen dumber stunts but that was back before the retardnet and social stupidity. it's a clear sign of the times, a lot of poor decisions and choices being displayed for all the world to see.
jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Offline kilo2

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2014, 09:18:42 AM »
Stupid but not really outrage worthy.
X.O. Kommando Nowotny
FlyKommando.com

"Never abandon the possibility of attack."

Offline Triton28

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2014, 09:20:33 AM »
It's not that they took the picture or didn't fancy being at a graveside in Wisconsin in the middle of winter, it's that they actually thought social media was an acceptable outlet.  
Fighting spirit one must have. Even if a man lacks some of the other qualifications, he can often make up for it in fighting spirit. -Robin Olds
      -AoM-

Offline Rich46yo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2014, 09:51:10 AM »
No its that they "took the picture". They are not deserving to wear the uniform of their country and should be discharged under less the honorable conditions. This isnt one bad decision its 14 of them.

We have kids lining up down the block to wear that uniform. So find some new ones worthy of doing so.

They have obviously never lost a brother in battle.

« Last Edit: February 19, 2014, 09:53:48 AM by Rich46yo »
"flying the aircraft of the Red Star"

Offline smoe

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2014, 10:12:46 AM »
I am not trying to defend the soldiers or comments here. People sometimes do stupid stuff, especially when in a group. I don't believe any great disrespect was intended. We have to remember serving in the armed forces is stressful at times and these are only young adults who are dealing with crap most will never experience.

Offline Triton28

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2014, 10:21:30 AM »
No its that they "took the picture". They are not deserving to wear the uniform of their country and should be discharged under less the honorable conditions. This isnt one bad decision its 14 of them.

We have kids lining up down the block to wear that uniform. So find some new ones worthy of doing so.

They have obviously never lost a brother in battle.

The photo is no more unprofessional than the countless pictures we've seen with soldiers doing gangster poses with their guns in uniform.  The grumbling about having to do a service in the cold is more unbecoming than taking a silly picture during a break in training.  That comment is personal to the family of the veteran whose service they were participating in. 

Make no mistake, this was pretty stupid, but this wasn't the detail at Arlington posing in front of headstones.  It was a guard unit in Wisconsin.

Fighting spirit one must have. Even if a man lacks some of the other qualifications, he can often make up for it in fighting spirit. -Robin Olds
      -AoM-

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2014, 10:25:07 AM »
Stupid? Most definitely. Court marshal offense, nope. Reason for LOTS of admin punishment you betcha, reduction and certainly reassignment. Their reaction to punishment might be grounds for bar to re-enlistment but this is a pretty silly stupid stunt and not as serious as a lot of other offenses.
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

Offline TOMCAT21

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2014, 10:48:22 AM »
poor taste and poor judgement.
RETIRED US Army/ Flying and dying since Tour 80/"We're paratroopers, Lieutenant, we're supposed to be surrounded." - Capt. Richard Winters.  FSO 412th FNVG/MA- REGULATORS

Offline Rich46yo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2014, 12:32:52 PM »
The photo is no more unprofessional than the countless pictures we've seen with soldiers doing gangster poses with their guns in uniform.  The grumbling about having to do a service in the cold is more unbecoming than taking a silly picture during a break in training.  That comment is personal to the family of the veteran whose service they were participating in. 

Make no mistake, this was pretty stupid, but this wasn't the detail at Arlington posing in front of headstones.  It was a guard unit in Wisconsin.

It is far worse then doing something "unprofessional", or "gangsta poses". or "grumbling". Mocking a KIA, even if no-one is currently in it, is bad enough, but your also mocking the flag covering it. I feel like back handing a piss ant civilian for eating his GD hot dog during the anthem at a ball game but what I feel for this bunch is even worse.

Because they are Soldiers!

To me its worse then getting caught smoking a doobie on the front lawn of the White house in full uniform. But...I wore the uniform for four years and everyday put the flag up and down. I still keep strict Flag protocol at my own house when displaying it. Jesus? A flag draped coffin?

No they dont deserve jail and maybe should have an avenue to eventually get their HD after 6 mos of good behavior outside the service but I dont think they should be allowed to stay in and just get AR-15'd. They are young and were being stupid but they arent dangerous criminals.

Maybe Im being to hard on them but if I am I'd rather be told so by other vets.

Offline Triton28

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2014, 02:20:05 PM »
It is far worse then doing something "unprofessional", or "gangsta poses". or "grumbling". Mocking a KIA, even if no-one is currently in it, is bad enough, but your also mocking the flag covering it. I feel like back handing a piss ant civilian for eating his GD hot dog during the anthem at a ball game but what I feel for this bunch is even worse.

Because they are Soldiers!

To me its worse then getting caught smoking a doobie on the front lawn of the White house in full uniform. But...I wore the uniform for four years and everyday put the flag up and down. I still keep strict Flag protocol at my own house when displaying it. Jesus? A flag draped coffin?

No they dont deserve jail and maybe should have an avenue to eventually get their HD after 6 mos of good behavior outside the service but I dont think they should be allowed to stay in and just get AR-15'd. They are young and were being stupid but they arent dangerous criminals.

Maybe Im being to hard on them but if I am I'd rather be told so by other vets.

Piss ant civilian?  Wow.  At least I know where you're coming from. 

The absence of a body in that casket makes a monumental difference, as do the other facts that give us context.  All of that adds up to make me sad for their stupidity rather than madder than hell at their lack of respect.

Basically, what they were doing in the picture is the same thing nearly everyone does when faced with depressing aspects of their job... they attempt to make light of it.  Most people have the good sense to keep in amongst colleagues and not post a picture on Instagram though. 

-AoM-

Offline Rich46yo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2014, 03:29:59 PM »
Triton are you active Military or a vet?

Offline mthrockmor

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2014, 04:26:26 PM »
This is beyond pathetic. It is one of those that any decent person would not even have to be told, let alone soldiers in uniform.

Our society is being gutted. This does not mean the end of civilization by any means. It does mean the days of America are numbered. We will soon find no value in the Flag, Pledge, National Anthem and with it the values that made us the greatest nation.

More than a coffin lies at State there.
No poor dumb bastard wins a war by dying for his country, he wins by making the other poor, dumb, bastard die for his.
George "Blood n Guts" Patton

Offline Delirium

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2014, 04:47:00 PM »
Triton are you active Military or a vet?

You don't have to be either a vet or in active service to share an opinion, and you have the right to ignore it as well. One of those great freedoms so many enjoy because of our military.

poor taste and poor judgment.

Tomcat said it best... Honor Guard troops have to be professional at all times while within the public eye and this undermines their effort tremendously.
Delirium
80th "Headhunters"
Retired AH Trainer (but still teach the P38 selectively)

I found an air leak in my inflatable sheep and plugged the hole! Honest!

Offline Rich46yo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2014, 05:32:04 PM »
Oh I well know Triton never served but my question was directed towards him pointedly. It should not have been quoted by another.

The Flag, let alone a flag draped coffin, has special significance in the military family. Both active, retired, and veteran. It should to the entire country, and to many it does, but lets face it. To many it doesnt. Hell you can even burn the thing legally. On a military base a Military member can be arrested just for not stopping and showing proper protocol when its being raised or lowered. Even if your in a car. On ANY Military base by ANY military member of ANY military service.

So anybody serving, like my son and the kids of many in AH, or have served, know this far more then those who havnt. And anyone who would post this
The photo is no more unprofessional than the countless pictures we've seen with soldiers doing gangster poses with their guns in uniform.  The grumbling about having to do a service in the cold is more unbecoming than taking a silly picture during a break in training.  That comment is personal to the family of the veteran whose service they were participating in.

Make no mistake, this was pretty stupid, but this wasn't the detail at Arlington posing in front of headstones.  It was a guard unit in Wisconsin.
Clearly hasnt. My question was rhetorical. Because it doesnt matter where in Hell it happened at, Arlington, Wisconsin, Afghanistan, or the damn moon. Its all the same.

I dont want to see these people get crushed but they have clearly lost the right to wear the uniform.