Author Topic: Sick Puppy Custom Sounds  (Read 20584 times)

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
Re: Sick Puppy Custom Sounds
« Reply #60 on: March 02, 2014, 09:22:46 AM »
When it tells you that it is going to install to C:\Hitech Creations\Aces High\sounds just change it to a different location and move over the sounds you want to use.

EDIT: Just to be clear. The zip file is there because some security software will not allow a file with the .exe extension to be saved. It is the same installer as the .exe file. Neither file is any different than a self-extracting zip file, except that it offers the ability to display the EULA and offer two versions of an install directory in one package. This is intended to make it easy for everyone that wants to use sounds but do not know how to install sound packs.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2014, 10:09:33 AM by Chalenge »
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline olds442

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #61 on: March 02, 2014, 09:25:07 AM »
This whole thread is a joke.

I love it.  :lol

Now, if Chalenge is going to provide proof of that copyright claim, then maybe we'd take him seriously but so far his dodging of that question and resistance to provide it shows that it doesn't truly exist. Btw, 30k for misusing a sound? How in the first place would you know, and secondly do you know that no judge would ever let you have your price?

Chalenge's ego = the size of Betelgeuse.

Still not trusting that installer either.

If you don't like it don't download. But I understand how complicated that may be for certain people.
only a moron would use Dolby positioning in a game.
IGN: cutlass "shovels and rakes and implements of destruction"

Offline Dragon Tamer

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #62 on: March 02, 2014, 10:41:21 AM »
I wanted to bash this sound pack right out of the gate, but I'm going to hold my tongue on my opinion.

I have run the program and didn't seem to get anything. I haven't played with it yet but was planning on doing so sometime today.

There are some things I would like to address though.

The copyright I can understand and have no issue with. The fine of 30k however I feel is excessive and a bit paranoid. Every other sound pack creator trusts the community enough to share their files to be responsible, and while once in a while an issue may come up where someone has abused this trust, I'm sure HTC would act to correct the issue to the best of their abilities. That is my view on that issue, and while I can't tell Chalenge what to do with his work, I think it should be something to think about.

Second, I am behind the idea of a .zip file containing all the sounds and not the installer. Those of us that are more tech savvy would like this kind of freedom to come with the sounds.

When it tells you that it is going to install to C:\Hitech Creations\Aces High\sounds just change it to a different location and move over the sounds you want to use.

You might want to double check that default location. On the Windows XP setting, the default install location is C:\Program Files\HTC\sounds.

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #63 on: March 02, 2014, 11:20:50 AM »
You might want to double check that default location. On the Windows XP setting, the default install location is C:\Program Files\HTC\sounds.

I believe that is explained in the first few posts. That is a legacy setting for installations that have not moved for years.

And to clear up the details behind the $30,000 figure, and this is from the Copyright web site if you care to look it up. The $30,000 figure comes from a very similar situation in which a video game used sounds that were copyrighted material. The 9th circuit came to the decision of assigning a $30,000 penalty for each infraction, thus setting a precedent. A precedent means that is likely to be the way follow up decisions will go. The actual punitive damages range from $200 per infraction, to $150,000 per infraction by law. I believe the actual language of the EULA states that (about the $30k), but it might not be absolutely clear. It is not my choice to decide what the penalty will be, but that is very likely to be the figure. It is included as an FYI.

Concerning the copyright itself; copyright is in place the moment a pack like this is posted whether the author files with the Copyright office or not. When someone registers for Copyright it is because they want to, or have good reason to do so. I already said that, also.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline ReVo

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #64 on: March 02, 2014, 11:26:05 AM »

Concerning the copyright itself; copyright is in place the moment a pack like this is posted whether the author files with the Copyright office or not. When someone registers for Copyright it is because they want to, or have good reason to do so. I already said that, also.

Uhm, no.

Nice try though.  :)

Pretty sure we're backpedaling now.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2014, 11:27:50 AM by ReVo »
XO Jagdgeschwader 53 'Pik As'

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #65 on: March 02, 2014, 11:49:10 AM »
Uhm, no.

Nice try though.  :)

Pretty sure we're backpedaling now.

Quit selling bad information.

http://www.copyright.gov/help/faq/faq-general.html

Offline ReVo

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #66 on: March 02, 2014, 12:37:56 PM »
Quit selling bad information.

http://www.copyright.gov/help/faq/faq-general.html

Do I have to register with your office to be protected?
No. In general, registration is voluntary. Copyright exists from the moment the work is created. You will have to register, however, if you wish to bring a lawsuit for infringement of a U.S. work.

In short, stop holding the threat of a giant absurd fine over peoples heads. You aren't going to be able to scam anybody out of money for misusing the sounds, especially without a real copyright.

« Last Edit: March 02, 2014, 12:42:42 PM by ReVo »

Offline Chilli

• Platinum Member
« Reply #67 on: March 02, 2014, 01:40:53 PM »
Serious question... When I download these sounds will it replace the current sounds I have ingame? I have a mix of everyone's sounds and I wouldn't like to lose them.

Or is that what the zip file link is for? To have them in a seperate folder to do the moving of sounds yourself?

Make a copy of your current sound folder (and file) and save it elsewhere on your computer.  I have been in the habit of doing this ever since HTC was playing around with the miles sound system.

Then, over time if I find sounds that I prefer from my saved folder, I copy them back into the appropriate locations.

Now, this might suit you better:

After Challenge's files have been installed (considering that you did as I suggested above and saved a copy of your current folder in another location), then rename the sound folder.  Label it Challenge (or anything else).  Take your saved folder copy (sound files prior to the uploaded) and copy it again and move it back into your Aces High folder.  Now, you should be able to preview and mix all you like, by comparing the sound files through an audio player or in game (keeping in mind that replacing any file in the Sound folder for the game will overwrite the current sound, which you could lose if you don't have a copy in another location).

NOTE:  Make sure to keep at least one copy of your current sound folder in another location.

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #68 on: March 02, 2014, 05:13:52 PM »
Do I have to register with your office to be protected?
In short, stop holding the threat of a giant absurd fine over peoples heads. You aren't going to be able to scam anybody out of money for misusing the sounds, especially without a real copyright.

I'm finished talking with you ReVo. You obviously do not understand plain English.

Offline olds442

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #69 on: March 02, 2014, 05:19:46 PM »
Chalenge it may just be me but I hear clicking in the P51 engine loop.

EDIT: Tested with O2 DAC+AMP with sennheiser hd598s and still here the clicking.
only a moron would use Dolby positioning in a game.
IGN: cutlass "shovels and rakes and implements of destruction"

Offline Vudu15

• Gold Member
« Reply #70 on: March 02, 2014, 05:21:58 PM »
Lot of little stuff with the pack when I messed with it Olds.
"No odds too great"

"I was a horse ahead at the end" - Nathan Bedford Forrest
Training Video List https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL54E5CE

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #71 on: March 02, 2014, 05:22:39 PM »
The stall horn is designed after a 'klacker' stall horn. As you get slower the frequency of the clicks get closer together, or play faster and faster. Is that what you are hearing?

Offline ReVo

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #72 on: March 02, 2014, 05:52:09 PM »
See Rule #4
« Last Edit: March 04, 2014, 10:06:12 AM by Skuzzy »

Offline Vudu15

• Gold Member
« Reply #73 on: March 03, 2014, 01:37:13 AM »
Thought about this the last few days since this has been uploaded. I don't like the fact that off the bat you have a copyright on your stuff(not because you're protecting your pack) but because no one else has. You're way outside the box with the .exe (which worked fine I might add) I saw your video over this pack and was kinda excited.....until I started to test it. And that's when the excitement died.

My current sounds are parts of all the other sound packs some of them whole plane folders others just a single sound. But all have good and bad sounds just as I have good and bad videos...

I have no idea how much money you spent to put this together, and I'd rather not know. Long story short it's a pretty sad sound pack, you have loop breaks for engine sounds, background noise(from where ever you recorded the sound), and just in general poor distance, recording equipment, fade ins and outs, and other things that you would think that a person who is/has planned to travel the globe in search of sounds would have thought of prior to putting this out for the general public. But to be honest sir none of these problems really are problems save one...you have a copyright on your stuff which forces anyone in essence to reference this generally poor sound pack in a very public setting.

I can't place this on my Facebook page nor can I place it on my youtube page because as other have stated it 1.) has an .exe which most folks in here are pretty leery of and I can't say I blame em. 2.) As a first sound pack I wouldn't suggest this to anyone. 3.)It's copyrighted material, some poor kid doesn't pay attention and you get a wild hair to peg him/her and boom 30K per offense. Anyway I thought I would put this out as my OPINION abd others may take it or leave it as they want. I'm not sure what you were thinking when you put this together, and I'm sorry to be critical of your work but it is just my opinion and I'd like other to know a general overview of the pack before the downloaded it to their home systems. Roen/Vudu15
"No odds too great"

"I was a horse ahead at the end" - Nathan Bedford Forrest
Training Video List https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL54E5CE

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #74 on: March 03, 2014, 01:55:55 AM »
You are entitled to your opinion of course. I would like to know what you mean by "loop breaks," because all of the engine sounds loop just fine on my end and on every Sick Puppies computer too. And background noise? Please point out one or two instances of either one.

As far as your posting the pack to your Facebook page, why? You could simply post a link instead and problem solved.

As to the copyright issue there is a very good reason the other sound packs do not have copyrights. I think you missed that one.