Author Topic: Best 37mm?  (Read 1736 times)

Offline FLOOB

• Gold Member
Re: Best 37mm?
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2014, 07:36:28 AM »
If you practice offline you'll see that the stuka kills tanks easier than the hurri.
“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans” - John Steinbeck

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2014, 07:48:47 AM »
I'd really have to see hard data to believe the 3,7 had twice the penetration of the NS-37 AP. :salute

http://www.quarry.nildram.co.uk/tankbusters.htm

And to illustrate the relation between impact angle and penetratrion of the BK 3,7 shell: Penetration vs angle at 100m and 600m

You have to fly very precicse to achive 90° even when attacking the tank in level flight. If diving on the tank to shoot at the top armor, even 60° almost looks "directly down" to a pilot, but the reduction in penetration is already considerable.
Most tank buster attacks I see in the MA are at much worse angles, often less than 40°

Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline FLOOB

• Gold Member
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2014, 07:51:02 AM »
I'd really have to see hard data to believe the 3,7 had twice the penetration of the NS-37 AP. :salute

I'm surprised you're killing t34s with yak9t as the yak9t carries only HE ammo.
“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans” - John Steinbeck

Offline Rich46yo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2014, 08:48:07 AM »

I'm surprised you're killing t34s with yak9t as the yak9t carries only HE ammo.

Only a few. I never claimed it a good T34 killer. And if I remember right I only smoked most of them and they towered. But one I remember i did kill outright. 5 maybe altogether. And this only after lots of shooting at them.

If you practice offline you'll see that the stuka kills tanks easier than the hurri.
Very likely. But the Hurri is the more stable platform of the two. At least for me the Stuka is harder to control.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2014, 08:50:05 AM by Rich46yo »
"flying the aircraft of the Red Star"

Offline Fox

• Copper Member
« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2014, 09:43:15 AM »
The 37mm in the stuka may be better than the IL2, but the IL2 is easily capable of killing all tanks except for the tiger 2 so the difference doesn't really matter. 

Offline icepac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2014, 11:29:05 AM »
Where does the 37mm manned ack gun sit relative to the rest mentioned here?

I've landed 200+ rounds to GV's at close range only to watch them drive away seemingly undamaged while the auto acks of a recently captured field dispatch a tiger 2 in about 11 seconds.

Offline FLOOB

• Gold Member
« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2014, 11:44:16 AM »
Where does the 37mm manned ack gun sit relative to the rest mentioned here?

I've landed 200+ rounds to GV's at close range only to watch them drive away seemingly undamaged while the auto acks of a recently captured field dispatch a tiger 2 in about 11 seconds.
Film?

Offline SmokinLoon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2014, 12:16:45 PM »
Yak-9T's NS-37 beats the P-39 in about every category: Trajectory, rate of fire, damage.

There is a damage difference? Oh do tell.  Are you speaking of damage to OBJ or perceived damage to aircraft?
Proud grandson of the late Lt. Col. Darrell M. "Bud" Gray, USAF (ret.), B24D pilot, 5th BG/72nd BS. 28 combat missions within the "slot", PTO.

Offline SmokinLoon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2014, 12:28:49 PM »
The stuka's 37mm ap has much better penetration than the ns37 ap round. I may be wrong but something like twice as much penetration.

Do you have the source of that info?  I'd like to see actual data on the Bk 37mm AP capabilities.  Like others, I believe the Bk 37mm is the better aircraft mounted anti-armor gun in AH.  Though, I think the three tank buster platforms currently in AH (IL-2, Stuka G-2, and Hurricane IID) play a bigger role in the success rate of the player vs the actual capabilities of each individual AP round.

Proud grandson of the late Lt. Col. Darrell M. "Bud" Gray, USAF (ret.), B24D pilot, 5th BG/72nd BS. 28 combat missions within the "slot", PTO.

Offline SirNuke

• Silver Member
« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2014, 12:35:34 PM »
Film?

gv armor will deflect 37mm forever at the angles a manned acks hits, except if you hit a soft spot.

Offline FLOOB

• Gold Member
« Reply #25 on: February 28, 2014, 12:38:55 PM »
Do you have the source of that info?  I'd like to see actual data on the Bk 37mm AP capabilities.  Like others, I believe the Bk 37mm is the better aircraft mounted anti-armor gun in AH.  Though, I think the three tank buster platforms currently in AH (IL-2, Stuka G-2, and Hurricane IID) play a bigger role in the success rate of the player vs the actual capabilities of each individual AP round.

Check the link that me and lusche posted.

Offline FLOOB

• Gold Member
« Reply #26 on: February 28, 2014, 12:46:56 PM »
gv armor will deflect 37mm forever at the angles a manned acks hits, except if you hit a soft spot.
Where's the soft spot on a tigerII that it can be killed in 11 seconds by auto ack? I just drove a tigerII across a large field, making it most of the way across before it was tracked, and sat there for another 10 minutes before towering out. There was never any amor penetration and I didn't kill any of the ack guns, had I been killing ack guns I may not have even been tracked. I know there is a soft spot on the front of the tiger I but I doubt auto ack aims for it. Test it yourself offline, spawn a tiger two and then change the country ownership of the field that you're on.

Offline Rich46yo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #27 on: February 28, 2014, 01:49:55 PM »
Yeah our sources are the same. I havnt read up on this in awhiles, since my tank busting days, but I was aware of what that BK 3,7 WAS capable of under perfect conditions. The thing is making the conditions "perfect". I had great difficulty doing a 90% vertical and if anyone has the trick to it I'd like to hear it. Also touching off an accurate volley in such a dive, at such distances "200 meters", is very difficult. Oh I killed tanks in the Stuka but was a little frustrated with it as well.

Maybe I'll spend more time in it and give it another try. Under most game conditions I just found the NS-37 the better cannon. 50mm penetration at 200 meters at a 60% angle is plenty for almost all tanks.
"flying the aircraft of the Red Star"

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #28 on: February 28, 2014, 02:44:21 PM »
How does the Flak 18 cannon compare to the BK-5 50mm cannon for tank busting?

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline wpeters

• Silver Member
« Reply #29 on: February 28, 2014, 03:43:41 PM »
one thing about the bk ammo is if you hit a tank at a weld joint you normally can kill in one pass.   T34 are a different story. What I normally try to do if I can not get a steep dive angle is come in on there back side and but two shots in the rear.  Doesnt always work but normally have a fairly high sucess rate.
LtCondor
          The Damned
Fighter pilots are either high, or in the process of getting high.🙊
The difference between Dweebs and non dweebs... Dweebs have kills