Author Topic: THrustmaster Warthog  (Read 3287 times)

Offline McShark

• Nickel Member
THrustmaster Warthog
« on: March 12, 2014, 09:24:52 AM »
I received my Warthog today.

What a load of buttons, axis and stuff to play with.

Has anyone basic settings / scripts available to find a starting point?

Is it recommended to map in TARGET or just use AH setup?

Thanks in advance for any advice / help.
The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence. -Charles Bukowski
Gleams the blade,Shines my Honor
Tour 19 - 163 McShark
Tour 163 -      Barkhorn

Offline Hoplite

• Nickel Member
Re: THrustmaster Warthog
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2014, 11:03:32 AM »

I use AH for my Warthog setup and it works just fine.  I only use TARGET for games where I need to combine these into a single virtual joystick for older games that only recognize one controller.

Offline McShark

• Nickel Member
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2014, 01:30:08 PM »
I use AH for my Warthog setup and it works just fine.  I only use TARGET for games where I need to combine these into a single virtual joystick for older games that only recognize one controller.

Thx on that one. Going down that road as well right now.... calibrate windows and setup in AH.

No other games here so I really look for AH tips & tricks!
The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence. -Charles Bukowski
Tour 19 - 163 McShark
Tour 163 -      Barkhorn

Offline Flossy

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • Flossy's Website
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2014, 04:22:54 PM »
Has anyone basic settings / scripts available to find a starting point?

Hi McShark, hope you are enjoying playing with your new Warthog!  :)

I do all my key-mapping using the in-game setup.  Here's what I have set on mine:

May give you a starting point anyway.   :aok
Flossy {The Few}
Female Flying For Fun

Offline McShark

• Nickel Member
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2014, 05:27:46 AM »
Hi McShark, hope you are enjoying playing with your new Warthog!  :)

I do all my key-mapping using the in-game setup.  Here's what I have set on mine:

May give you a starting point anyway.   :aok

Hey Flossy,

Thank you very much. That looks good! I have most of the buttons set nowadays but not really perfect yet.....

A question regarding deadband and damping. The stick is insanely precise but I think I might have a bit of a bounce when opening fire. Morfiend gave me some advice which I am experimenting with but do you have had any similar issues with the Warthog and how did you solve them? I come from a CH Fighterstick for example, as far as I love the dual stage trigger, the forces are very high to my opinion and make it hard to hold your bullets on target. Any advice on that?

Thx again for the map, will see what I can make of it ....  :salute :salute
Tour 19 - 163 McShark
Tour 163 -      Barkhorn

Offline Hoplite

• Nickel Member
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2014, 02:10:13 PM »
Flossy...where did you get the template for that button mapping image?

Offline edge12674

• Nickel Member
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2014, 05:55:36 PM »
While on the subject of the Warthog...what kind of rudder pedals are you all using?  I have an old Cougar set-up/RCS all with Hall sensor upgrades.  I am thinking of going to the Warthog since the gimbals on the Cougar wear out/get sloppy, but hate to give up my RCS hall sensor pedals.

TShark
"If you are alone and meet a lone Zero, run like hell...You're outnumbered" - Joe Foss USMC 26 kills

Offline Flossy

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • Flossy's Website
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2014, 02:15:56 AM »
Hey Flossy,

Thank you very much. That looks good! I have most of the buttons set nowadays but not really perfect yet.....

A question regarding deadband and damping.

YW, McShark. Deadband/dampening is not something I have touched so far sorry so presumably they are at default values.  Not noticed any problems, possibly because I mainly fly bombers.    :salute

Flossy...where did you get the template for that button mapping image?

Googled it, Hoplite.  :)

While on the subject of the Warthog...what kind of rudder pedals are you all using?  I have an old Cougar set-up/RCS all with Hall sensor upgrades.  I am thinking of going to the Warthog since the gimbals on the Cougar wear out/get sloppy, but hate to give up my RCS hall sensor pedals.

I'm using Saitek Pro rudder pedals.  I had a Cougar myself and seem to remember there is a special connector on it that accepts analogue pedals (D type connector), however when Thrustmaster introduced the Warthog they dispensed with the analogue pedals idea and used separate USB connectors for throttle, joystick and any pedals you wish to use.  If your RCS hall sensor pedals are USB, there shouldn't be a problem, otherwise if they are the old analogue type you will need some sort of analogue to USB convertor.  Hope it all makes sense!   :aok
Flossy {The Few}
Female Flying For Fun

Offline McShark

• Nickel Member
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2014, 05:29:44 AM »
Thx Flossy, bit wizer now. Printed that map. Funny that you too have no real function for those fuel flow buttons  :lol

HAs anyone here a Warthog scaling screeny and is willing to share?

Just wondering if it should be scaled at all or try to get used to it without?

Thx again for any replies, appreciate it!
Tour 19 - 163 McShark
Tour 163 -      Barkhorn

Offline Randy1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2014, 06:11:01 AM »
I use them for opening the bomb bay door,and dive flaps.  I use the slider to the right of the throttle for manual trim and it is an analog like elevator or rudder.

I use the target software.  Very powerful.  What I suggest is set up in AH first then as time permits work on the Target version.  If you don't start Target it uses the AH settings.

I use a modified scaling but the setting are so personalized,  you are best served by experimenting.

Some of the other switches, tail hook, programmed setting for 200mph climb, auto climb, level.   

Remember to set your GV-Boat.  I also use a mode for bombers so my hat switch moves the gun positions and I have buttons to do a bomber auto calibrate for 3 seconds and 10 seconds duration. 

Offline edge12674

• Nickel Member
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2014, 08:03:10 AM »
Thanks Flossy, I will factor in the price of a USB converter or new pedals.  Does the Warthog seem to hold up better than the Cougar to justify the cost?

TShark
"If you are alone and meet a lone Zero, run like hell...You're outnumbered" - Joe Foss USMC 26 kills

Offline McShark

• Nickel Member
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2014, 09:11:16 AM »

Gameport or usb? I have found an offer for the RCS gameport version for € 30 ( $ 40 about) Think of buying them.

Any issues to be aware of?
Tour 19 - 163 McShark
Tour 163 -      Barkhorn

Offline Hoplite

• Nickel Member
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2014, 10:03:41 AM »

Googled it, Hoplite.  :)

Found it that way as well.  Thanks!   :aok

Offline edge12674

• Nickel Member
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2014, 11:30:45 AM »
Gameport or usb? I have found an offer for the RCS gameport version for € 30 ( $ 40 about) Think of buying them.

Any issues to be aware of?

The RCS uses a gameport.  I really like the pedal spacing and feel of the RCS compared to CH pedals, but you do not have toe brakes.  The RCS does have issues with springs breaking (had to find an outside spring vendor to find replacement springs) and the stock pot does begin to spike.  A Hall sensor upgrade (google Cubpilot) makes the pedals rock solid and I have not needed to calibrate them in years.  I have seen some gameport to USB converters, but have also read that they have issues regarding accuracy.  I still need to do more research.  I am also modifying my Cougar gimbals using bearings that are designed for R/C micro-helicopters.  I am hopeful this will eliminate any joystick slop and prevent further wear...time will tell.

My apologies for the thread hi-jack....Now back to the Warthog programing.  :salute

TShark

Offline McShark

• Nickel Member
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2014, 11:36:23 AM »

My apologies for the thread hi-jack....Now back to the Warthog programing.  :salute

Thx on that, np my thread anyway  :D
Tour 19 - 163 McShark
Tour 163 -      Barkhorn