Author Topic: Ready for the P-47D15-23 series  (Read 5877 times)

Offline Randy1

• Platinum Member
Re: Ready for the P-47D15-23 series
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2014, 11:13:50 AM »
+1 for the D21 or D23.

. . . That said,  the D23 would out perform the D25 as a fighter, . . .

And the D11 would out perform the D23 wouldn't you think Ammo?

Offline -ammo-

• Platinum Member
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2014, 12:24:59 PM »
And the D11 would out perform the D23 wouldn't you think Ammo?

No sir. Slightly more powerful engine, better prop. I would think the D23's climb rate would be higher than the D11.  I am not sure if the top speed would be better than the D11 with the wing pylons.
Commanding Officer, 56 Fighter Group
Retired USAF - 1988 - 2011

Offline Randy1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2014, 01:44:00 PM »
No sir. Slightly more powerful engine, better prop. I would think the D23's climb rate would be higher than the D11.  I am not sure if the top speed would be better than the D11 with the wing pylons.

Pylons mean added braces.  Braces mean added weight.  I figure the D23's weight should be closer to the D40 than the D11.  The D11s weight makes it a better performer.  That is what I am thinking.  Your the expert on these so I go with what ever your thoughts on the 47s.

Offline glzsqd

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2014, 01:55:36 PM »
+1 for the D21 or D23.

I can see Karnak's rationale for disagreement. That said,  the D23 would out perform the D25 as a fighter, and SD correctly argues a Late D model would best represent the the P-47 model in AH as it did in three theaters of WW2.  The razorback has a cleaner airframe than the Bubble top and should handle better than the D25 at all speeds.

Not to mention the Razor Back canopy makes the Jug look 100X more intimidating and scary. Not that I don't like the bubble canopy P47s, its just they can some times look more like a big radial pony. Although come to think of it, maybe I just have a fetish for Heavily framed cockpits, might explain my obsession of the F4u-1 over the rest of the plane line up as well as the D-11.
See Rule #4

Offline Seadog36

• Nickel Member
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2014, 03:09:49 PM »
Pylons mean added braces.  Braces mean added weight.  I figure the D23's weight should be closer to the D40 than the D11.  The D11s weight makes it a better performer.  That is what I am thinking.  Your the expert on these so I go with what ever your thoughts on the 47s.

Later model bubble tops had more internal fuel, adding weight and making them more sluggish. Thought the pylons added some wight and drag, the the slightly more powerful R-2300 radial coupled with the newer larger diameter, wider chord props really ramped up climb performance and added some speed.

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2014, 04:45:00 PM »
Not being an a hole here or anything but tell us what new/different thing this plane would bring to the game, and no "it's a plane I want to fly" doesn't count as there are many planes that other want to fly that have less of a chance in getting in.

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2014, 05:16:37 PM »
Better climbing, faster, but I can still feel morally superior because it's a midwar plane?  Yes, please!

With that said, chances of it happening are pretty close to nil.  We've got plenty of jugs and it doesn't really add anything material gameplay-wise to the planeset.

If and when they redo the jug set though, I'd like it added.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline Seadog36

• Nickel Member
« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2014, 07:00:55 PM »
Not to be an A hole but the thread clearly makes the argument that the model should be in the game for historical accuracy. That model is the unsung hero of the USAAF in terms of air to air kills. ground attack and pioneer of close air support. From the Southwest Pacific, China, Italy and Europe- that was in the skies when people looked up, that is reason enough.

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2014, 07:07:21 PM »
Not to be an A hole but the thread clearly makes the argument that the model should be in the game for historical accuracy. That model is the unsung hero of the USAAF in terms of air to air kills. ground attack and pioneer of close air support. From the Southwest Pacific, China, Italy and Europe- that was in the skies when people looked up, that is reason enough.

A lot of planes should be added for 'historical accuracy' like the P-38H but like the P-47D15-23 series, doesn't bring anything to the table game play wise that would call for it's immediate inclusion into the game.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline RotBaron

• Gold Member
« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2014, 08:02:55 PM »
Also ready for the J2M series  :D

Based off of what some have said, "what does it bring" to the table, well it would fill the hole it was built for in the IJN arsenal.

Plus if they modeled the J2M4, we could shoot upwards at bombers while flying level   :devil

Sorry, but the P47 is probably the last plane set that needs any addition atm. YMMV

Hazarding a guess, but I figure little work is being done on new planes atm and most work is directed at the new graphics release, not that I have any insight...just a guess.

They're casting their bait over there, see?

Offline Seadog36

• Nickel Member
« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2014, 09:00:33 PM »
A lot of planes should be added for 'historical accuracy' like the P-38H but like the P-47D15-23 series, doesn't bring anything to the table game play wise that would call for it's immediate inclusion into the game.

ack-ack

Ack Ack~ The P-38H had 601 examples built vs the 7,000+ examples of P-47D15-22 series and RotBaron, you probably know the J2M series were also minor players in comparison with only 621 of all types built. The Ki-43 was the biggest hole in the IJA planeset. All the naysayers said it would be a hangar queen because of its firepower but it gets tons of play.

Offline RotBaron

• Gold Member
« Reply #26 on: March 26, 2014, 09:43:37 PM »
By the hole in the IJ set I meant a plane that was capable of doing the things the J2M did. Almost all of the IJ set we have are the super turny birds, the J2M puts the plane set above 15k a realm of possibility. We have some high alt bases, not many, but enough that plane choices have some narrowing where at least I say to myself xyz plane is a bad choice for attack/defense of xyz. Anyhow I'm all for more, but just not more of something we have plenty of, but the Japanese Jug with 20's, I'm all in there  :D
They're casting their bait over there, see?

Offline BnZs

• Platinum Member
« Reply #27 on: March 26, 2014, 09:56:30 PM »
Razorbacks with paddle-bladed props, hot-rodded to pull 70" MAP like they did, those were likely the highest performing Jugs and best dogfighting Thunderbolts of all.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2014, 10:00:30 PM by BnZs »
"Crikey, sir. I'm looking forward to today. Up diddly up, down diddly down, whoops, poop, twiddly dee - decent scrap with the fiendish Red Baron - bit of a jolly old crash landing behind enemy lines - capture, torture, escape, and then back home in time for tea and medals."

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #28 on: March 26, 2014, 10:03:10 PM »
Ack Ack~ The P-38H had 601 examples built vs the 7,000+ examples of P-47D15-22 series and RotBaron, you probably know the J2M series were also minor players in comparison with only 621 of all types built. The Ki-43 was the biggest hole in the IJA planeset. All the naysayers said it would be a hangar queen because of its firepower but it gets tons of play.

But unlike the P-47D-23 the P-38H and J2M actually perform differently than things already in the game.  That makes them nearly infinitely preferable to anybody who isn't a P-47 junkie.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline BnZs

• Platinum Member
« Reply #29 on: March 26, 2014, 10:13:37 PM »
But unlike the P-47D-23 the P-38H and J2M actually perform differently than things already in the game.  That makes them nearly infinitely preferable to anybody who isn't a P-47 junkie.

The switch from the toothpick prop to the paddle-bladed prop gave a relatively large boost in climb and acceleration for a small decrease in top end speed. Put such a prop on a razorback and its dogfighting abilities go up quite a bit.
"Crikey, sir. I'm looking forward to today. Up diddly up, down diddly down, whoops, poop, twiddly dee - decent scrap with the fiendish Red Baron - bit of a jolly old crash landing behind enemy lines - capture, torture, escape, and then back home in time for tea and medals."