Author Topic: 7 or 8?  (Read 2356 times)

Offline hgtonyvi

• Silver Member
Re: 7 or 8?
« Reply #30 on: March 28, 2014, 04:49:05 PM »
Yea just smart shop. U don't wana get everything from one website. If u can save $1 even that adds up. All that saving can get u a nice bottle of booze so u can celebrate it own build.
CO of the Hell Hounds. In Game: Rud3boi
*Ain't no grave can hold my body down.*

Top German Ace of Pantelleria 1943
            6./JG 27- 109G-2

Offline BuckShot

• Silver Member
« Reply #31 on: March 28, 2014, 05:27:00 PM »
With help from some of you, I'm probably getting this setup from CyberpowerPC. It's a bit more than I wanted to spend, but hey, I haven't bought anything nice for myself in a while.

I'm not building anything. I spend my days at work tinkering with air and water quality monitoring equipment; tiny parts, air pumps, sensors. The last thing I feel like doing when I get home is more tinkering. The extra $$$ for someone else to put it together is worth it for me.

Thanks guys

*BASE_PRICE: [+505]
BLUETOOTH: None
CAS: Raidmax Viper w/ USB 3.0, Side Window Panel [-42] (Black Color)
CASUPGRADE: None
CD: 24X Double Layer Dual Format DVD+-R/+-RW + CD-R/RW Drive (BLACK COLOR)
CD2: None
COOLANT: Standard Coolant
CPU: Intel® Core™ i5-4670 3.40 GHz 6MB Intel Smart Cache LGA1150 [+100]
CS_FAN: Default case fans
DOCKINGSTATION: None
FA_HDD: None
FAN: Intel Certified CPU Fan & Heatsink [-20]
FLASHMEDIA: None
FREEBIE_VC: None
HDD: 2TB (2TBx1) SATA-III 6.0Gb/s 64MB Cache 7200RPM HDD (Single Drive)
HDD2: None
HEADSET: Rocksoul Stereo Headphone with MIC
IUSB: Built-in USB 2.0 Ports
KEYBOARD: AZZA Delta Gaming Keyboard w/ Anti-Ghosting & red backlight
MB_SRT: None
MEMORY: 8GB (4GBx2) DDR3/1866MHz Dual Channel Memory (Corsair Vengeance)
MONITOR: None
MONITOR2: None
MONITOR3: None
MOTHERBOARD: MSI B85M-P33 mATX w/ Military Class 4, GbLAN, 1 Gen3 PCIe x16, 1 PCIe x1
MOUSE: AZZA Alpha 1600 DPI Gaming Mouse
NETWORK: Onboard Gigabit LAN Network
OS: Microsoft® Windows 7 Home Premium [+104] (64-bit Edition)
OVERCLOCK: No Overclocking
POWERSUPPLY: 600 Watts - Standard 80 Plus Certified Power Supply - SLI/CrossFireX Ready
RUSH: Standard processing time: ship within 2 to 3 weeks
SERVICE: STANDARD WARRANTY: 3-YEAR [3 Year Labor, 1 Year Parts] LIMITED WARRANTY PLUS LIFE-TIME TECHNICAL SUPPORT
SOUND: HIGH DEFINITION ON-BOARD 7.1 AUDIO
SPEAKERS: None
TEMP: None
TUNING: None
TVRC: None
USB: None
USBFLASH: None
USBHD: None
USBX: None
VIDEO: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750Ti 2GB GDDR5 PCIe 3.0 x16 Video Card [+175] (Major Brand Powered by NVIDIA)
VIDEO2: None
VIDEO3: None
WNC: None
_PRICE: (+822)
Game handle: HellBuck

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #32 on: March 29, 2014, 02:59:28 AM »
With help from some of you, I'm probably getting this setup from CyberpowerPC. It's a bit more than I wanted to spend, but hey, I haven't bought anything nice for myself in a while.

I'm not building anything. I spend my days at work tinkering with air and water quality monitoring equipment; tiny parts, air pumps, sensors. The last thing I feel like doing when I get home is more tinkering. The extra $$$ for someone else to put it together is worth it for me.

Thanks guys

MOTHERBOARD: MSI B85M-P33 mATX w/ Military Class 4, GbLAN, 1 Gen3 PCIe x16, 1 PCIe x1
POWERSUPPLY: 600 Watts - Standard 80 Plus Certified Power Supply - SLI/CrossFireX Ready
SERVICE: STANDARD WARRANTY: 3-YEAR [3 Year Labor, 1 Year Parts] LIMITED WARRANTY PLUS LIFE-TIME TECHNICAL SUPPORT
VIDEO: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750Ti 2GB GDDR5 PCIe 3.0 x16 Video Card [+175] (Major Brand Powered by NVIDIA)

Aside from the graphics card which is entry level this setup starts to look pretty good. The 750ti is recommended only for cases where your power supply is real limited. You don't have that problem so you could get a more powerful 660 for almost the same money.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #33 on: March 29, 2014, 04:55:19 AM »
CyberPowerPC uses substandard PSUs as is. Just fair warning.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #34 on: March 29, 2014, 05:05:00 AM »
CyberPowerPC uses substandard PSUs as is. Just fair warning.

The 660 requires a 450 watt PSU so even if his 600W is a cheap one it shouldn't pose a problem.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline Debrody

• Platinum Member
« Reply #35 on: March 29, 2014, 05:16:14 AM »

Thanks guys

The VGA is weak compared to the other parts. Either be a cheapo, save some bucks and just get an i3 (noone would notice any difference in gaming performance) or get a much better video card, gtx 660ti/670/760 for example.
AoM
City of ice

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #36 on: March 29, 2014, 07:08:06 AM »
I want to point out that the suggestion for the 750 Ti was to better a 645. Stepping down to an i3 system is not an improvement, and likely it would be a mistake since there is an updated version of AH coming soon. Chose an i3 when you have to have an Intel processor, but performance is not crucial. Choose an i5 when you need performance in games. Choose i7 when you have other programs that will benefit from the extra cores (I don't think AH does).

The 750 Ti also does not require a connection to the PSU directly. This PSU will fail, and probably within the first two years. If you spend any more money on a more powerful GPU then you are risking that investment along with everything else. That said, the most important thing for the near future is shader processors and GPU memory frame (the more the merrier).

My advice has always been to get a quality PSU first. You can get by with the 750 Ti and save your money for the day that the Maxwell (800 series) comes out. The 800s should require far less power from the PSU and offer much more quality, but until they are out its anyone's guess.

The last thing I would do is drop to an i3 CPU in favor of more GPU.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline BuckShot

• Silver Member
« Reply #37 on: March 29, 2014, 09:35:57 AM »
Well, its ordered. I'll let you guys know how out goes.

Thanks again for the advice.

~S~

Offline BuckShot

• Silver Member
« Reply #38 on: April 16, 2014, 07:34:18 AM »
It arrived yesterday. I plugged everything in and fired it up.

The lights came on, I could hear the drives, but nothing on the screen. It came with 3 CDs but no instructions; The windows 7 CD, motherboard driver, video card driver.

I already emailed tech support and am waiting to hear from them.

Any ideas? Am I missing something simple? Should I put one of the CDs in? Thanks.

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #39 on: April 16, 2014, 08:20:14 AM »

The lights came on, I could hear the drives, but nothing on the screen. It came with 3 CDs but no instructions; The windows 7 CD, motherboard driver, video card driver.

Any ideas? Am I missing something simple? Should I put one of the CDs in? Thanks.

If you assembled it yourself make sure that the 4 pin auxiliary power is plugged to the motherboard (usually top left corner) and the video card power cable(s) are connected if it requires them. Failure to do either one will result in no post.

Did you assemble the computer yourself or did you just plug in the cables? If it came ready assembled sometimes it can happen that the display card gets loose on transport. Make sure all the cards and ram modules are properly seated by pushing them down one by one (with the computer turned off).

The very least you should get is a logo or a text when you start the computer. If you get only a black screen on startup no installation dvd is going to help you, your machine doesn't even start yet.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2014, 08:23:46 AM by MrRiplEy[H] »

Offline BuckShot

• Silver Member
« Reply #40 on: April 16, 2014, 08:34:14 AM »
Thanks. It came assembled. I'll figure out how to open the case and try that. I removed four thumb screws from the back but the sides won't come off.

Which CD should be in it?

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #41 on: April 16, 2014, 09:42:07 AM »
Thanks. It came assembled. I'll figure out how to open the case and try that. I removed four thumb screws from the back but the sides won't come off.

Which CD should be in it?

You need to slide the side metal backwards, it can be tough. Just make sure that if you touch any component inside the computer case, ground yourself to the chassis with your other hand FIRST. If it came ready assembled your safest bet would be to contact the customer service before opening the case not to void your warranty. You'll need to worry about the discs only after you get the computer to post first.

Oh and CALL the support, don't wait for an e-mail.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2014, 09:44:48 AM by MrRiplEy[H] »

Offline BuckShot

• Silver Member
« Reply #42 on: April 16, 2014, 09:57:44 AM »
Thanks Rip!

~S~

Online Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #43 on: April 16, 2014, 10:05:40 AM »

Some ideas:

Something has got loose during the transportation. Happened to me when I tried to boot my rig at the con last weekend.
Your motherboard seems to have a video chip of its own. Since you can hear the drives it sounds like your computer is actually booting. Try the motherboard video connector. If that works, your video card is loose.
You have plugged your monitor to the actual video card instead the motherboard one, haven't you?

If only the fans rotate but the hard disk stays silent and the screen remains blank, it might be the video card, a memory stick, cpu cooler cable being loose.

As MrRipley said, you'd need the CD's only after you've successfully booted. If the computer came preinstalled, you'd only need them for reinstallations.

Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline BuckShot

• Silver Member
« Reply #44 on: April 16, 2014, 10:38:10 AM »
Thanks Bizman. I plugged my monitor into the back in the only place I see to plug it in.