Author Topic: 7 or 8?  (Read 2354 times)

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
Re: 7 or 8?
« Reply #45 on: April 16, 2014, 11:44:40 AM »
Thanks Bizman. I plugged my monitor into the back in the only place I see to plug it in.

Which was where?

Does your monitor cable look like the top or the bottom one?

If it's the top one, you have plugged your monitor to the motherboard most likely and you need an adapter to connect to your actual video card which has a slot resembling the cable on the bottom side in the picture. The adapter looks like this:

Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline BuckShot

• Silver Member
« Reply #46 on: April 16, 2014, 12:54:57 PM »
The top blue one. I called tech support. They said to look for another socket at the very bottom of the PC. I'll check it out tonight.

Rip and Biz...big ~S~ to you. Thanks.
Game handle: HellBuck

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #47 on: April 16, 2014, 12:57:24 PM »
The top blue one. I called tech support. They said to look for another socket at the very bottom of the PC. I'll check it out tonight.

Rip and Biz...big ~S~ to you. Thanks.

Ok then you will either need a new monitor or an adapter. Your current monitor may also have a DVI connector (the white one) if so, you have to get a matching cable.

So nothing is probably wrong with your computer you just plugged the monitor to the wrong port.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #48 on: April 16, 2014, 02:13:06 PM »
Rip, the MSI B85M-P33 mATX has both type of connectors. So the correct question should be "did you plug into the vertical or horizontal connector?"
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #49 on: April 17, 2014, 01:43:10 AM »
Rip, the MSI B85M-P33 mATX has both type of connectors. So the correct question should be "did you plug into the vertical or horizontal connector?"

He already said his monitor uses VGA. Since current nvidia graphics do not have VGA ports anymore and he said there was only one place to plug it to, it's clear that he plugged his monitor to the IGP instead of the graphics card as that's the only VGA connector available in his computer and he has three DVI connectors. ;)

The next step would be as you said, to make sure he plugs the monitor to either one of the horizontal (bottom) connectors using a proper cable or an adapter.

Offline BuckShot

• Silver Member
« Reply #50 on: April 17, 2014, 06:18:20 AM »
Its working now.I had the monitor plugged into the wrong port. I've never had a PC that had more than two monitor Ports. I have two each of what you pictured. the correct Ports were not visible as I was contorting myself between the wall and the PC to plug things in.. I feel pretty dumb about it.

thanks for all the help guys.

~S~ Buck

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #51 on: April 17, 2014, 10:53:48 AM »
Buck, no need to feel dumb, things like that happen to everyone. I just "fixed" a "broken" monitor by pushing the monitor cable into the connector and securing the screws. The couple was already going to buy a new one, since the current one started to lose colours. When I first started it, the image had a deep red hue. Funny thing is, the husband is a retired doctor who's studied engineering as a hobby. The wife teaches nursing as her own business. It was the hubby who got the idea of calling me before running to the shop. This proves that studying pays even at older age by keeping one humble enough to call for an expert if needed.  :t

Rip, thanks for the nVidia connector info. Haven't been looking at them that way, although I've seen quite a few.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline BuckShot

• Silver Member
« Reply #52 on: December 10, 2014, 07:11:20 PM »
This PC that some of you guys helped me pick out is working great. I run ah with everything maxed, slider too. I never drop below 60. Reflections in the glass, detailed grass, all that stuff.

...a little late for thanks, but thanks just the same!

~S~ Buck

Offline ML52

• Copper Member
« Reply #53 on: December 14, 2014, 04:20:11 PM »
I also have an older computer running xp, six years old. Can I upgrade to 7 directly from xp?
Windows xp

Intell core 2cpu
6600 @2.40ghz
2.40ghz, 2.00gb of ram
Radeon x1900xt (2)

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #54 on: December 15, 2014, 12:13:50 AM »
I also have an older computer running xp, six years old. Can I upgrade to 7 directly from xp?
Windows xp

Intell core 2cpu
6600 @2.40ghz
2.40ghz, 2.00gb of ram
Radeon x1900xt (2)

There is no direct upgrade path from XP you'll need a complete reinstall. But that's not a bad thing, you should always install clean anyway to avoid problems.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/help/upgrading-from-windows-xp-to-windows-7#T1=tab01