Author Topic: Food for thought ...  (Read 15926 times)

Offline Volron

• Platinum Member
Re: Food for thought ...
« Reply #120 on: April 01, 2014, 04:44:48 PM »
Wow.  Just wow.  Changeup, you used WAY too much logic.  That's bad.

Bad Changeup, BAD! :furious  No Soup for you! :bhead

:D

Can't be arsed anymore.

Last straw today.  worked a con to a stall fight and had it picked off my 12. screw it.

Bye, bye Princess.
Quote from: hitech
Wow I find it hard to believe it has been almost 38 days since our last path. We should have release another 38 versions by now  :bhead
HiTech
Quote from: Pyro
Quote from: Jolly
What on Earth makes you think that i said that sir?!
My guess would be scotch.

Offline shotgunneeley

• Silver Member
« Reply #121 on: April 01, 2014, 04:52:46 PM »
I also think ACM is pretty darned difficult to teach.  I was just thinking about how I'd approach a completely green day one newbie who said to me, "Where do I start?"  ...which made me think the more likely question would be "How do I get good?"  ...which made me think the even more likely question would be "How do I not get killed all the time?"

I guess I'd start with setting up their views and controls, then um... for me, things get foggy from that point forward. ;)  Always helping the newbies is a good attitude to have, and I always do when they ask a specific question, but when it comes down to how to actually fly the plane and play the game, IMO teaching is not easy, and not everybody is good at it.

I know I've tried to explain things to people and had a helluva time getting across what was in my head...  Even people who've been playing for years.  That's on me, not them.

Wiley.

I've learned over the years researching and watching others enough to know "how" to do manuevers, but knowing "when" to pull a certain manuever in a given situation has always eluded me. Maybe that is something that can be taught more.

"Lord, let us feel pity for Private Jenkins, and sorrow for ourselves, and all the angel warriors that fall. Let us fear death, but let it not live within us. Protect us, O Lord, and be merciful unto us. Amen"-from FALLEN ANGELS by Walter Dean Myers

Game ID: ShtGn (Inactive), Squad: 91st BG

Offline kvuo75

• Gold Member
« Reply #122 on: April 01, 2014, 05:44:49 PM »
I've upped into a vulch and wound up chasing a guy to his ack.  Not tremendously often, but it's happened.  Can't get much further from his field than that. ;)

Wiley.

:rofl

that sounds more like plain old running though..
kvuo75

Kill the manned ack.

Online DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #123 on: April 01, 2014, 06:22:37 PM »
There needs to be smaller arenas like they use to have in H2H. Keep the MA for sure. But there should be like 6  or 7 smaller arenas (h2h maps) with a 16 player limit. This will keep the fights fun, only have 2 teams. Bases that can still be captured, but alt will be harder to achieve and so will running. If they kill FHs at one base it won't ruin the fight so easily. A smaller player base and map would allow new guys to get a better feel for the game and it won't be so complex looking at the giant map. ( I know I learned a ton in the 5 months I played H2H.) Not saying bring H2h free game play back cause I know Hitech don't like it. But just bring back the concept. Put them on the clip board and let HTC rule the maps. I garuntee this would increase the fun and player #s drastically!!
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #124 on: April 01, 2014, 06:32:25 PM »
There needs to be smaller arenas like they use to have in H2H. Keep the MA for sure. But there should be like 6  or 7 smaller arenas (h2h maps) with a 16 player limit. This will keep the fights fun, only have 2 teams. (...) I garuntee this would increase the fun and player #s drastically!!

I'd be almost willing to guarantee it would not.
In the end, the vast majority will congregate in the MA. See the numbers in the other arenas (even MW with the best balanced planeset) not to speak of the already available custom arenas, which are basically not being utilized at all.
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #125 on: April 01, 2014, 06:34:02 PM »
There needs to be smaller arenas like they use to have in H2H. Keep the MA for sure. But there should be like 6  or 7 smaller arenas (h2h maps) with a 16 player limit. This will keep the fights fun, only have 2 teams. Bases that can still be captured, but alt will be harder to achieve and so will running. If they kill FHs at one base it won't ruin the fight so easily. A smaller player base and map would allow new guys to get a better feel for the game and it won't be so complex looking at the giant map. ( I know I learned a ton in the 5 months I played H2H.) Not saying bring H2h free game play back cause I know Hitech don't like it. But just bring back the concept. Put them on the clip board and let HTC rule the maps. I garuntee this would increase the fun and player #s drastically!!

They already have a small arena setup with only two sides, its call Axis vs Allies. Those guys that run that arena do everything but pay people to play and they have a hard time hitting 32 players.... and they don't have a player limit!

No, it's got to be the Main arena. There has to be room for GV only fights, Furballs, mission based action, and land grab. Fighter guys "feed" off the mission based and land grab guys. The issue is getting those mission based and land grab guys to put up a fight for completing their missions. As it is now if they run into resistance they disappear and try someplace else with less defense. Make the missions more important , either point wise, or game winning wise. Make the base capture more important so they fight for them. The GVs can have the same setup to encourage fights there too.

The main focus of most players today seems to be to win the map, the quickest and easiest way they can go of course is how it's going to be done, it only makes sense. The only problem with that type of game play is that it leaves very little time to fight.

Online DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #126 on: April 01, 2014, 06:45:27 PM »

I'd be almost willing to guarantee it would not.
In the end, the vast majority will congregate in the MA. See the numbers in the other arenas (even MW with the best balanced planeset) not to speak of the already available custom arenas, which are basically not being utilized at all.

I know they have custom arenas, they aren't popular because most people don't know about them because they are on a different page. Plus random people have to start them.  axis vs allies only has a limited plane set.

If you put small 32 player 2 team bases from the H2H and limited it to planes like in the DA it would be a lot of fun. Hell even make one of the maps a free for all. The MA should not and will not change, it is what war is and its cool you can have sorts of fights all over the map.  But its too big and too fast for new players. H2H Is the only reason i stayed interested in this game after they shut it down. And it was far easier to make friends and learn the game. If you get bored of flying 90 miles to a base go to a smaller map and have close quarter fights. It would be a lot of fun!
« Last Edit: April 01, 2014, 06:48:28 PM by DmonSlyr »
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline Hoplite

• Nickel Member
« Reply #127 on: April 01, 2014, 07:07:03 PM »
:lol Some people have thin skin Kappa.

Not at all! I found it rather humorous and utterly predictable. Just as I found yours. :D

Offline Big Rat

• AH Training Corps
  • Silver Member
« Reply #128 on: April 01, 2014, 07:12:58 PM »
There's fun in this game if you try and find it for just about any player.  Do I like flying in the MA, Nope not at all, for reasons many have stated.  Do I like flying in scenarios and FSO, hell yea :rock.  You have to fly smart when you only have one or two lives per event, and you have to work as a team to be successful.  This is fun for me.  I enjoy Gving, where Hoing and ace piloting are perfectly acceptable and the 200 ego's don't exist in large form.  So if you are not happy flying in the MA, try some of the other aspects of this game.  If you are good at a certain aspect try to pass along your knowledge, the better you make your opponents the more fun you will have and the better you will get.

Oh yea I think the custom arenas are still broke, as VF-17 uses them twice weekly most weeks, and they have been a real pain to get going lately.

:salute
BigRat
When you think the fight might be going bad, it already has.
Becoming one with the Hog, is to become one with Greatness, VF-17 XO & training officer BigRat

Offline Nimrod45

• Copper Member
« Reply #129 on: April 01, 2014, 09:48:01 PM »
I think the game is a blast, enough so that I built a computer to play it and pay $40 dollars per month for my internet connetion not counting the $14.99 for the game.  I just think that attitudes could be much better, but the internet breeds tough guys and rudeness in a lot of people and as I predicted it came out in this thread.  So if for all the restectfull acting pleasant grown ups who play this game  :salute and to all the pethetic internet tuff guys in the game and on the Forums who get a kick out of being rude, just know that your voice and opinions become more and more meaningless with every rude and ugly comment and your not worth our time. 

Nimrod

Offline lunatic1

• Gold Member
« Reply #130 on: April 01, 2014, 09:57:31 PM »
this^^^would bring out cries from people hollering that the arenas are too small-like that the ones holler about them being too big^^^hint hint
C.O. of the 173rd Guardian Angels---Don't fire until you can see the whites of their eyes...Major devereux(The Battle Of Wake Island-1941.
R.I.P.49GRIN/GRIN-R.I.P. WWHISKEY R.I.P WIZZY R.I.P.

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #131 on: April 01, 2014, 10:36:25 PM »
this^^^would bring out cries from people hollering that the arenas are too small-like that the ones holler about them being too big^^^hint hint

dont we have players created arenas right now?  how many of those are full during regular time?

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline Nimrod45

• Copper Member
« Reply #132 on: April 01, 2014, 10:45:50 PM »
dont we have players created arenas right now?  how many of those are full during regular time?

semp

What do you mean player created arenas?

Offline Hoplite

• Nickel Member
« Reply #133 on: April 01, 2014, 10:47:51 PM »

semp

Not many. 

I honestly don't think the idea of small arenas for 16 on 16 combat would be all that successful.  Sounds a bit too "War Thunder"-ish to me....if I wanted that I'd just go play that game.

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #134 on: April 01, 2014, 10:50:22 PM »
What do you mean player created arenas?

Custom arenas can be set up however the creator wants, more or less.  Heard something nebulous about them being flaky lately, not sure.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11