Author Topic: Food for thought ...  (Read 15926 times)

Offline Skyyr

• Silver Member
Re: Food for thought ...
« Reply #165 on: April 02, 2014, 02:26:20 PM »
That's because it's a tactic of the half-skilled AH aviator...a HOer is only skilled enough to get halfway to their opponents 6 o'clock.   If you're happy with that skill set, play on.   Don't expect others who try to fly well enough to saddle you up like hobo on a soup bowl to approve of that style of winning.

Personally, I could care less...as JUGgler always said, "there's way too much revenge in the hanger to worry about a skill less killer"

Please, by all means explain how someone flying an A5 with 20 and 30mm cannons is less skilled if they choose to head-on a P-51D (or, even better, a KI-43). The A5 has little worry of damage and a split second of hits will rip that 43 apart.

In fact, it makes so much sense to do so that the Germans actually used this tactic. It's all about strengths vs weaknesses and if your opponent has little chance of damaging you, while you have a much greater chance of downing them, why not?

Turning against a faster, more maneuverable aircraft is statistically less sound and in fact does not make sense to pursue when repeated head-on passes are on option.

Your statement doesn't hold up to an examination of history or to actual military combat tactics.

I'm not promoting head-on passes as a valid tactic 24/7, but they have a valid and useful application that most overlook because of their predisposition.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2014, 02:29:01 PM by Skyyr »
Skyyr

Tours:
166 - 190
198 - 204
218 - 220
286 - 287
290 - ---

nrshida: "I almost beat Skyyr after he took a 6 year break!"
A few moments later...

vs Shane: 29-7

"Some men just want to watch the world burn."

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #166 on: April 02, 2014, 02:28:33 PM »
This is tantamount to becoming a student of ACM.  Results-focused people are lost in defining themselves on results, not the process of improvement.  As an example, it's why great hitters never make it to the bigs...at the first sign of a slump, they begin to focus on the result...a hit, instead of the process of hitting, mental preparation, timing, attitude and having a plan when you step in the box.

Playing this game at a high level and driving fights you can win require, nay, demand that you become a student of ACM which is the process of flying well enough to win fights.

Soooo, find a guy you trust, ask him questions, go to the TA so egos don't get bruised and learn.  You'll be glad you did.

There's those 'leader of men' skills you learned in NROTC. If you work on displaying these more than your 'look at me' tendency, it would be the example to the word.  :aok

Offline Copprhed

• Silver Member
« Reply #167 on: April 02, 2014, 02:28:43 PM »
Because, Skyrr, Hoin is a TARDISH, NOOB, UNSKILLED, UNINTELLIGENT result of someone not caring about anything but their score. I love killing HOtards...they're so stupid.
Flight Leader: "Bogeys at 2 o'clock!"
Wingman: "Roger, It's 1:30 now, what do I do 'til then?"

Offline Skyyr

• Silver Member
« Reply #168 on: April 02, 2014, 02:31:46 PM »
Because, Skyrr, Hoin is a TARDISH, NOOB, UNSKILLED, UNINTELLIGENT result of someone not caring about anything but their score.

A WWII sim pilot who only cares about killing others and making it home alive? The very nerve! Who would dare do such a thing?!

Oh, wait, actual WWII pilots did that.
Skyyr

Tours:
166 - 190
198 - 204
218 - 220
286 - 287
290 - ---

nrshida: "I almost beat Skyyr after he took a 6 year break!"
A few moments later...

vs Shane: 29-7

"Some men just want to watch the world burn."

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #169 on: April 02, 2014, 02:33:03 PM »
Because, Skyrr, Hoin is a TARDISH, NOOB, UNSKILLED, UNINTELLIGENT result of someone not caring about anything but their score.

Ahhh yes... score, the root of all evil, of course...
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #170 on: April 02, 2014, 02:34:31 PM »
That's because it's a tactic of the half-skilled AH aviator...a HOer is only skilled enough to get halfway to their opponents 6 o'clock.   If you're happy with that skill set, play on.   Don't expect others who try to fly well enough to saddle you up like hobo on a soup bowl to approve of that style of winning.

And to me, anything outside of a cone 11-1 o'clock, maybe even 11:30-12:30 is not a HO.  If the loser couldn't pull to put his guns on you, it's not a HO, it's a loss.  I don't like blowing a ton of E for those kinds of shots because they often don't end the fight and can put me in a bad position, but sometimes the shot into the canopy as I'm pulling inside the guy from 1-2 o'clock is the right move if I don't think I'm going to get another chance.

Half way towards someones six is the 3-9 line though.
3-9 line shots will never make anyone to complain.

...Have you flown in the MA? ;)  Seen exactly that plenty of times.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #171 on: April 02, 2014, 02:34:48 PM »

Ahhh yes... score, the root of all evil, of course...

Alas. Few be 'pure of heart' and players, by and large, like games with metrics. You, of all people, understand the attraction to metrics.  :)

Offline Changeup

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Das Muppets
« Reply #172 on: April 02, 2014, 02:44:35 PM »
Because, Skyrr, Hoin is a TARDISH, NOOB, UNSKILLED, UNINTELLIGENT result of someone not caring about anything but their score. I love killing HOtards...they're so stupid.

Skyrr won't get it.  But to prove my point he should go to the DA with Kappa flying an A5 against Skyrr in a zeke.   That would give him some idea about actual skills vs a/c based skill limitations.
"Such is the nature of war.  By protecting others, you save yourself."

"Those who are skilled in combat do not become angered.  Those who are skilled at winning do not become afraid.  Thus, the wise win before the fight, while the ignorant fight to win." - Morihei Ueshiba

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #173 on: April 02, 2014, 02:45:50 PM »
Skyrr won't get it.  But to prove my point he should go to the DA with Kappa flying an A5 against Skyrr in a zeke.   That would give him some idea about actual skills vs a/c based skill limitations.

If you had faith in Kappa, it would be the other way around, wouldn't it?  :D

Offline Changeup

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Das Muppets
« Reply #174 on: April 02, 2014, 02:46:55 PM »
And to me, anything outside of a cone 11-1 o'clock, maybe even 11:30-12:30 is not a HO.  If the loser couldn't pull to put his guns on you, it's not a HO, it's a loss.  I don't like blowing a ton of E for those kinds of shots because they often don't end the fight and can put me in a bad position, but sometimes the shot into the canopy as I'm pulling inside the guy from 1-2 o'clock is the right move if I don't think I'm going to get another chance.

Wiley.

I agree with this in principle.  It doesn't mean those shots will drive people to respect the shooter.

"Those who are skilled in combat do not become angered.  Those who are skilled at winning do not become afraid.  Thus, the wise win before the fight, while the ignorant fight to win." - Morihei Ueshiba

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #175 on: April 02, 2014, 02:55:21 PM »
I agree with this in principle.  It doesn't mean those shots will drive people to respect the shooter.

You don't 'drive' people to respect. You set the example and they drive themselves where their true nature takes them.

Offline Changeup

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Das Muppets
« Reply #176 on: April 02, 2014, 03:09:51 PM »
You don't 'drive' people to respect. You set the example and they drive themselves where their true nature takes them.

Lmao!  That's why you were enlisted

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #177 on: April 02, 2014, 03:18:52 PM »
Lmao!  That's why you were enlisted

I was enlisted .... because I enlisted. I met a few officers that could set the example.  ;)

This is a game, mate. But there ARE better methods you should have garnered from real life.  :aok
« Last Edit: April 02, 2014, 03:20:24 PM by Arlo »

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #178 on: April 02, 2014, 03:19:14 PM »

I just think peoples' threshold for disrespect is set oftentimes way too far in the other direction.  Yeah, when a guy manhandles me, beats down my E, and takes a wing from dead behind me in an odd orientation (or worse yet, doesn't even have to do anything extreme to saddle up), I know he's beaten me badly.  I just don't see why him getting his guns on me at any point outside of that cone in front of my plane where I could conceivably pull to shoot is any less of a beating.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #179 on: April 02, 2014, 03:22:13 PM »
I just think peoples' threshold for disrespect is set oftentimes way too far in the other direction.  Yeah, when a guy manhandles me, beats down my E, and takes a wing from dead behind me in an odd orientation (or worse yet, doesn't even have to do anything extreme to saddle up), I know he's beaten me badly.  I just don't see why him getting his guns on me at any point outside of that cone in front of my plane where I could conceivably pull to shoot is any less of a beating.

Wiley.

It's not. Those pointing at that and whining need an excuse as to why the player that shot them down isn't as good as they are.  ;) :cheers: