Author Topic: Health insurance  (Read 2615 times)

Offline Ardy123

• Gold Member
Re: Health insurance
« Reply #60 on: April 09, 2014, 03:06:05 PM »
There was no reason for premiums to go up.  These slimy insurance companies used this for an excuse to increase profits knowing the average joe would believe it was the law's fault.  Same game oil companies use to jack up prices when the wind blows the wrong way in Saudi.

you speak of the obvious... how dare you challenge overpaid TV political pundits/hot hair blowers...
Yeah, that's right, you just got your rear handed to you by a fuggly puppet!
==Army of Muppets==
(Bunnies)

Offline Ardy123

• Gold Member
« Reply #61 on: April 09, 2014, 03:07:30 PM »
All the uninsured people only have themselves to blame?

Being poor is not a crime :old:

Selfishness is :)

what about bad pie?
Yeah, that's right, you just got your rear handed to you by a fuggly puppet!
==Army of Muppets==
(Bunnies)

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #62 on: April 09, 2014, 03:09:33 PM »
One thing to note, the more people without any kind of insurance the higher health care cost will be.  Rural hospitals are going under at an alarming rate.  Our hospital is the only one left open in this tricounty area.

My wife works in the business office of our hospital.  They fight day to day to keep the doors open.  Several times employees spent their own money to buy copy paper and even monitors for their PCs.  Many layoffs have happened to just try to keep going.

Biggest problem, the uninsured. 

it's actually just the opposite. if we eliminated insurance all together, over a long period of time, all healthcare costs would start to come down.
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline rogwar

• Silver Member
« Reply #63 on: April 09, 2014, 03:46:52 PM »
This was not intended to be a debate about health insurance but it is weird when you see the doctor's bill for a regular visit and the charge is like $330, insurance paid a negotiated rate of $120 and your co-pay was $25. I understand about negotiated rates but what kind of weird arse business model is that based on?  And for a drug that's not covered they call it non-formulary. What the hell kind of word is that? Very little sense to be made of the health insurance industry.

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #64 on: April 09, 2014, 04:12:53 PM »
This was not intended to be a debate about health insurance but it is weird when you see the doctor's bill for a regular visit and the charge is like $330, insurance paid a negotiated rate of $120 and your co-pay was $25. I understand about negotiated rates but what kind of weird arse business model is that based on?  And for a drug that's not covered they call it non-formulary. What the hell kind of word is that? Very little sense to be made of the health insurance industry.

remember my infected toe from a few years back? i think i'd posted pictures of it, along with the chunk of nail that'd grown in and caused the infection.
 anyway......i went to the doc for that, in all obviousness. as he was looking at it, he asked if i had insurance. i told him no i didn't. he said that was better then, as now he could look at it right then/there in his office. had i had insurance, i'd have to have gotten a reference from my family doc, and then seen him at his office at the hospital. he told me it'd be costing me less, since i was paying cash. he also took just as good care of me as i could expect.

on a side note......the dude was WAY cool, with one hell of a sense of humor. he took care of the venous ulcer i had on my ankle too. it too was less expensive, and much easier since i was paying him directly.
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline RotBaron

• Gold Member
« Reply #65 on: April 10, 2014, 12:18:01 AM »
Blue Cross Blue Shield is terminating my policy within the next year I was just informed.

Forcing me...
They're casting their bait over there, see?

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #66 on: April 10, 2014, 12:25:42 AM »

BTW.....when i drove down to cape may that night....i felt like i'd driven through a time tunnel back into 1979, with the long lines to get gas.

I bet you hoped you would have driven a Prius then huh?  :neener:
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline zack1234

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #67 on: April 10, 2014, 01:45:07 AM »
it's actually just the opposite. if we eliminated insurance all together, over a long period of time, all healthcare costs would start to come down.

How dare you!
There are no pies stored in this plane overnight

The GFC
Pipz lived in the Wilderness near Ontario

Offline Vudak

• Platinum Member
« Reply #68 on: April 10, 2014, 05:50:10 AM »
There was no reason for premiums to go up.  These slimy insurance companies used this for an excuse to increase profits knowing the average joe would believe it was the law's fault.  Same game oil companies use to jack up prices when the wind blows the wrong way in Saudi.

If you do not think that suddenly being forced to add people who are poor risks, (or outright guaranteed losses in some cases) is a reason for rates to go up, then you do not understand how insurance works. 
Vudak
352nd Fighter Group

Offline zack1234

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #69 on: April 10, 2014, 06:41:07 AM »
If you get ill and are poor its your own fault and no ones else's

You be rich and then get ill

The GFC

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #70 on: April 10, 2014, 07:42:18 AM »
I bet you hoped you would have driven a Prius then huh?  :neener:

HA!! NEVAH!!
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #71 on: April 10, 2014, 07:43:28 AM »
If you do not think that suddenly being forced to add people who are poor risks, (or outright guaranteed losses in some cases) is a reason for rates to go up, then you do not understand how insurance works. 

it is still not a reason. those poor risks should be paying for their own risks, not the rest of us.
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Vudak

• Platinum Member
« Reply #72 on: April 10, 2014, 08:19:57 AM »
it is still not a reason. those poor risks should be paying for their own risks, not the rest of us.

This is 100% not the fault of the insurance company that is now forced to "insure" a high-risk individual that they normally wouldn't write a policy for.  (and really "insure" is a term that should be used loosely when you're talking about a guaranteed loss)
Vudak
352nd Fighter Group

Offline zack1234

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #73 on: April 10, 2014, 09:25:03 AM »

If they are stupid enough to get ill its no ones fault but their own :old:

Vudak is right poor folk are to blame for being poor :old:

The GFC

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #74 on: April 10, 2014, 10:00:41 AM »
If they are stupid enough to get ill its no ones fault but their own :old:

Vudak is right poor folk are to blame for being poor :old:

just an fyi......i ain't exactly rich. if i were, i wouldn't be working 6-7 days a week.......
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"