Author Topic: Health insurance  (Read 2605 times)

Offline zack1234

• Plutonium Member
Re: Health insurance
« Reply #120 on: April 13, 2014, 03:09:56 AM »
See Rule #14
« Last Edit: April 14, 2014, 09:26:50 AM by Skuzzy »
There are no pies stored in this plane overnight

The GFC
Pipz lived in the Wilderness near Ontario

Offline zack1234

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #121 on: April 13, 2014, 03:16:03 AM »
See Rule #14
« Last Edit: April 14, 2014, 09:29:20 AM by Skuzzy »

The GFC

Offline PJ_Godzilla

• Gold Member
« Reply #122 on: April 13, 2014, 04:23:36 AM »
It is funny that in every case hyped by the media where so and so had their rate go up or the plan canceled and so on and how horrible it is, a better plan than they had was available for less than they had been paying through an exchange.

Those here who are saying their rates went up (beyond the normal 10-15% annual rate increases) are either making way more than I am or never checked their options on an exchange.  When your insurance company tries to sell you a compliant plan they don't calculate the help you might get via an exchange, they just give you the raw price.  The exchange, at least the Federal one, show you the raw prices, but then applies the assistance based on what you set for income and people to be insured and such.

Basically, if you didn't try an exchange and are claiming your rate went way up you may have had options to avoid that, depending on income.

I think this assertion suffers from an evidentiary deficit. First, while you're entirely correct that the prices quoted are pre-sub, the sub cuts off at 49k for an individual, somewhere in the 80-90 range for a couple. Most of the people signing up are those who had insurance but whose plans were killed off by the coverage floors.  How d we "know" this? We don't. However, it looks like the number of drops is approximately equal (slightly greater, actually) to the number of new signatories. Unless you believe that they're different clientele, you can look at the drop group as exemplary of the "typical" experience. Most are older and of higher income - we KNOW this because PPACA signup has fallen well short of the important under-30 category, sign-up wise. But, perhaps the government could tidily solve this speculative issue by releasing, fully, the income/age data for the signatories. Yet, they refuse to. It seems to me, if this were such a success as you assert, that data would be trumpeted from the tower walls.

As for your assertion that they're better - by whose standard? Does the 70 yo woman who now has to buy obstetric coverage, have a better plan, just because it has broader coverage? Sho could make that choice on her own before.

Meanwhile, due to the runaway success of this you cite, Sebelius is about to step down. Apply the laugh test here. Leaders of runaway successes don't leave by the back door at night. This thing is a disaster and those  that helped pass it are hastily dissembling to try to get over their November hurdles.
Some say revenge is a dish best served cold. I say it's usually best served hot, chunky, and foaming. Eventually, you will all die in my vengeance vomit firestorm.

Offline PJ_Godzilla

• Gold Member
« Reply #123 on: April 13, 2014, 04:27:11 AM »
I agree 100%.

Me too. It's all about getting the right balance.
Some say revenge is a dish best served cold. I say it's usually best served hot, chunky, and foaming. Eventually, you will all die in my vengeance vomit firestorm.

Offline zack1234

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #124 on: April 13, 2014, 05:54:15 AM »
This thread has nothing to do with Health care

Its all about people feeling hard done by

Grow up

The GFC

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #125 on: April 13, 2014, 07:22:03 AM »
that's the thing.  when a company has 1000 employees it has a much better chance of getting lower price than one with 7 employees.  just like everywhere else.   if a company has 100k employees it has an even better chance of getting better rates if the company is willing to ask for them.

semp

perhaps THIS is the kind of bs that should've been addressed, rather than forcing a new tax on virtually everyone.
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline Shamus

• Gold Member
« Reply #126 on: April 13, 2014, 09:18:36 AM »
See Rule #14
« Last Edit: April 14, 2014, 09:30:10 AM by Skuzzy »
one of the cats

FSO Jagdgeschwader 11

Offline PJ_Godzilla

• Gold Member
« Reply #127 on: April 13, 2014, 09:58:45 AM »
See Rule #14
« Last Edit: April 14, 2014, 09:30:25 AM by Skuzzy »

Offline zack1234

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #128 on: April 13, 2014, 11:15:34 AM »
Read the thread its stating everyone is blaming everyone else apart from themselves

POOR and OLD people are  not the reason you pay daft prices for healthcare

The fact that the majority are unwilling to state the obvious "Healthcare is a commodity" like anything else and "Spreading the myth of Market Forces is shameful"

The health system is a business and in the UK it is no different, its another myth, its not free I pay for it every month, its called "Health Insurance".

Its not perfect but it works, in 20 years time it will be owned by a Insurance group based in Shanghai  owned by a US company who is investing the money

The GFC

Offline PJ_Godzilla

• Gold Member
« Reply #129 on: April 13, 2014, 11:21:37 AM »
Read the thread its stating everyone is blaming everyone else apart from themselves

POOR and OLD people are  not the reason you pay daft prices for healthcare

The fact that the majority are unwilling to state the obvious "Healthcare is a commodity" like anything else and "Spreading the myth of Market Forces is shameful"

The health system is a business and in the UK it is no different, its another myth, its not free I pay for it every month, its called "Health Insurance".

Its not perfect but it works, in 20 years time it will be owned by a Insurance group based in Shanghai  owned by a US company who is investing the money

Thanks for this, Zack - this is a little more useful. However, I'm still not sure I understand what you're saying. Please elaborate.

BTW, I'm in London right now. This place is a zoo, mainly because of the marathon, but it sure is a beautiful city.

Offline zack1234

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #130 on: April 13, 2014, 11:30:00 AM »
See Rule #4
« Last Edit: April 14, 2014, 09:31:07 AM by Skuzzy »

The GFC

Offline PJ_Godzilla

• Gold Member
« Reply #131 on: April 13, 2014, 03:21:17 PM »
See Rule #14
« Last Edit: April 14, 2014, 09:31:27 AM by Skuzzy »

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
« Reply #132 on: April 13, 2014, 04:01:14 PM »
They are offering us free market healthcare in China and India :rofl

Yes.  That's why medical tourism is a blossoming industry in India.

From https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medical_tourism_in_India :

"Confederation of Indian Industry reported that 150,000 medical tourists came to India in 2005, based on feedback from the organization's member hospitals. The number grew to 200,000 by 2008. A separate study by ASSOCHAM reported that the year 2011 saw 850,000 medical tourists in India and projected that by 2015 this number would rise to 3,200,000.[8]

Most estimates claim treatment costs in India start at around a tenth of the price of comparable treatment in America or Britain.[9][10] The most popular treatments sought in India by medical tourists are alternative medicine, bone-marrow transplant, cardiac bypass, eye surgery and hip replacement. India is known in particular for heart surgery, hip resurfacing and other areas of advanced medicine."

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #133 on: April 13, 2014, 05:48:47 PM »
See Rule #14
« Last Edit: April 14, 2014, 09:31:57 AM by Skuzzy »
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #134 on: April 13, 2014, 06:26:06 PM »
cap except for the last few years didnt we had the opposite of what we have now?  and poor people couldnt afford insurance?

I was talking to my sister this morning during breakfast and  we started talking about health insurance.  she mentioned that she was dropping the coverage she had at work for another under the new laws as it would be cheaper.  I asked her how much she was paying and she said it was 90 bucks a week just for herself.  about twice what i pay for me and my son a month and she she will also have access to the same hmo I have.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.