Author Topic: Midway...  (Read 3203 times)

Offline Triton28

• Gold Member
Re: Midway...
« Reply #75 on: April 12, 2014, 08:37:55 AM »
<---- John Galt.

Now you know.  
Fighting spirit one must have. Even if a man lacks some of the other qualifications, he can often make up for it in fighting spirit. -Robin Olds
      -AoM-

Offline Changeup

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Das Muppets
« Reply #76 on: April 12, 2014, 08:52:10 AM »
Again, back to the topic at hand. :)

(Image removed from quote.)

:aok

I just didn't want you to successfully sound more intelligent that you actually are  :aok
"Such is the nature of war.  By protecting others, you save yourself."

"Those who are skilled in combat do not become angered.  Those who are skilled at winning do not become afraid.  Thus, the wise win before the fight, while the ignorant fight to win." - Morihei Ueshiba

Offline PJ_Godzilla

• Gold Member
« Reply #77 on: April 12, 2014, 10:30:56 AM »
Atlas Shrugged is one of the greatest books in the world.  :aok

Or Hayek's, The Road to Serfdom, for that matter... Don't get me wrong, I'm aligned with much of the Atlas Shrugged perspective, but I found the book repetitive and annoying. It would've made a good 400 page book, given the story. Problem be, it's mor ethan double that length. THe speech: do we really need 28 pages of harping?

But then, perhaps it was the "where" of reading that book that is my true source of annoyance. Flint School Aboard... some might know, others can look in Wiki. I am also aligned with much of the message of that institiution - and it helped me in life.

Brooke, you and I need to talk at some point. I've got some good "Ayn" stories for you. Thankfully, I don't think her trajectory is emblematic for most of us on an individualistic path. Remember: Blue Nile is ON ME. Right now, I'm in London after a week in Koln. I look forward to my return to the states. Cheers, mate.

One add: see Whitaker Chambers historical article, via the National Review, on AS. In at least his central assertion, I'd say he was spot on. I've got stories...
« Last Edit: April 12, 2014, 10:32:40 AM by PJ_Godzilla »
Some say revenge is a dish best served cold. I say it's usually best served hot, chunky, and foaming. Eventually, you will all die in my vengeance vomit firestorm.

Offline PJ_Godzilla

• Gold Member
« Reply #78 on: April 12, 2014, 10:40:29 AM »
not sure if it's my favourite but a limerick I sent to my misses via text a fair time ago to ease the tedium of higher education

My lover is stuck in a class
sitting bored on her wonderful ass
higher up stomach flat
perfect boobs above that
for these reasons alone she should pass

I've written her many limericks, some cheeky, some deeper, she seems to like them
Okay, Mech, this is just for laughs - I don't even know your gf...

Your lover who sits on her ass?
Damn right that she's in class
I'm teaching her how
as her fields I do plow
to kneel down as if she's at mass

Some say revenge is a dish best served cold. I say it's usually best served hot, chunky, and foaming. Eventually, you will all die in my vengeance vomit firestorm.

Online mechanic

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #79 on: April 12, 2014, 11:49:36 AM »
 :rofl

that's one way to get good grades
And I don't know much, but I do know this. With a golden heart comes a rebel fist.

Offline PJ_Godzilla

• Gold Member
« Reply #80 on: April 12, 2014, 11:51:29 AM »
 :aok

Online mechanic

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #81 on: April 12, 2014, 11:58:13 AM »
here's another couple I am fond of

A ninja may sleep through the day,
For this is the only real way,
To stay up all night,
scaling roofs without light,
Please don't hold it against me I say

There's one thing in this life that's a must,
That is finding someone we can trust,
If we dont take this chance,
Life's a solitary dance,
And our souls would most certainly rust.
And I don't know much, but I do know this. With a golden heart comes a rebel fist.

Offline Midway

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #82 on: April 12, 2014, 01:40:03 PM »
Or Hayek's, The Road to Serfdom, for that matter... Don't get me wrong, I'm aligned with much of the Atlas Shrugged perspective, but I found the book repetitive and annoying. It would've made a good 400 page book, given the story. Problem be, it's mor ethan double that length. THe speech: do we really need 28 pages of harping?

But then, perhaps it was the "where" of reading that book that is my true source of annoyance. Flint School Aboard... some might know, others can look in Wiki. I am also aligned with much of the message of that institiution - and it helped me in life.

Brooke, you and I need to talk at some point. I've got some good "Ayn" stories for you. Thankfully, I don't think her trajectory is emblematic for most of us on an individualistic path. Remember: Blue Nile is ON ME. Right now, I'm in London after a week in Koln. I look forward to my return to the states. Cheers, mate.

One add: see Whitaker Chambers historical article, via the National Review, on AS. In at least his central assertion, I'd say he was spot on. I've got stories...

It could have been written better and there is repetitiveness in it, as well as some other style type issues, but it's the concepts that are important which far outweigh her writing style flaws making it my favorite book. :)

Ayn Rand certainly was not perfect.  She smoked, likely causing her lung cancer and resulting heart failure, and had a variety of other issues as well.  She was a rough, and often abrasive lady coming from a tough childhood in Russia.  But you can't let her flaws or the flaws of a writing style detract from the beauty and strength of her writing rationally supported truth.  

If someone writes that 1 + 1 = 2, nothing they have done or said can ever take away from the simple truth and beauty of that statement, even if they repeat it multiple times in different awkward ways.  The fact still remains a fact, forever.

I read it in five days, nonstop, could not put it down, and overlooked the style flaws because what she was getting at was so important and true.  :aok

Now, more than nuff said on my favorite book. :old:

The topic at hand being the beauty of the Albatross, a living force of nature that travels thousands of miles over open oceans to find food for its one chick.  Did I mention both parents equally share in sitting on the egg and finding food for its chick once it hatches? :)

« Last Edit: April 12, 2014, 01:51:47 PM by Midway »

PARADISE ON EARTH  ------->  http://www.youtube.com/v/g_D4RhfCY2M&autoplay=1&hd=1&fs=1   <-------  PARADISE ON EARTH :)

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
« Reply #83 on: April 12, 2014, 01:56:17 PM »
A simpletons view of her theories. 

Not really.  It is also the heart of why free markets work better in allocating scarce resources than do centrally planned economies.

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #84 on: April 12, 2014, 02:05:00 PM »
Or Hayek's, The Road to Serfdom, for that matter...

Indeed.  :aok

Don't get me wrong, I'm aligned with much of the Atlas Shrugged perspective, but I found the book repetitive and annoying. It would've made a good 400 page book, given the story. Problem be, it's mor ethan double that length. THe speech: do we really need 28 pages of harping?

The Fountainhead is much more concise.

I would love to. Same here-- if you are ever in the Seattle area, please let me know. :aok

Offline Changeup

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Das Muppets
« Reply #85 on: April 12, 2014, 06:23:41 PM »
Not really.  It is also the heart of why free markets work better in allocating scarce resources than do centrally planned economies.

Very little of her theory is surrounded by economics.  That was the work of her understudy who, later, had a 15 year affair with her.  At the end if the affair and before her death, took over the Objectionist movement without her.  Her books became his theory and according to their logic, it's inflexible.

Ayn made lots of money by having a ridiculous knack for restating the obvious in the form of a complex axiom.  Cutting through her slack is:  we exist, we think therefore we are and ultimately it's for our own enjoyment.  Creative mind but not an original thinker.
"Such is the nature of war.  By protecting others, you save yourself."

"Those who are skilled in combat do not become angered.  Those who are skilled at winning do not become afraid.  Thus, the wise win before the fight, while the ignorant fight to win." - Morihei Ueshiba

Offline XxDaSTaRxx

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #86 on: April 12, 2014, 07:21:35 PM »
Birds

There are too many turtles in turtletown
Quote from: Latrobe
Do not run.
Face your opponent with all you have.
If you die you have something to learn.

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #87 on: April 12, 2014, 09:13:16 PM »
Very little of her theory is surrounded by economics.

That wasn't my point.  My point was that "what is good for individuals is good for the group" is not a simpleton's view either as one theme from Rand's works or as one theme from free-market economics.  It has nothing to do with whether or not she used economics to explain her point of view.

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #88 on: April 12, 2014, 10:49:56 PM »
here's another couple I am fond of

A ninja may sleep through the day,
For this is the only real way,
To stay up all night,
scaling roofs without light,
Please don't hold it against me I say

There's one thing in this life that's a must,
That is finding someone we can trust,
If we dont take this chance,
Life's a solitary dance,
And our souls would most certainly rust.

awesome :aok

Offline PJ_Godzilla

• Gold Member
« Reply #89 on: April 13, 2014, 04:29:05 AM »
Very little of her theory is surrounded by economics.  That was the work of her understudy who, later, had a 15 year affair with her.  At the end if the affair and before her death, took over the Objectionist movement without her.  Her books became his theory and according to their logic, it's inflexible.

Ayn made lots of money by having a ridiculous knack for restating the obvious in the form of a complex axiom.  Cutting through her slack is:  we exist, we think therefore we are and ultimately it's for our own enjoyment.  Creative mind but not an original thinker.

Agreed, changeup, and that affair with Branden has a kind of hilarious/tragic backstory. BTW, I like your Freudian here: Objectionist (it's actually Objectivist, but, as I say, point taken, if subliminally).