Author Topic: Practice 262 How close to shoot?  (Read 873 times)

Offline Randy1

• Platinum Member
Practice 262 How close to shoot?
« on: April 09, 2014, 01:40:04 PM »
I was offline practicing in the 262 getting ready for my first MA 262 run.  If I had speed up, if I fired at 200, I collided all too often when coming on the drones six.  Is 200 too close or do you take an angle to avoid high speed fast closure?

Then again, my reaction time might be that of a morning glory to the first light of day.

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
Re: Practice 262 How close to shoot?
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2014, 01:54:39 PM »

Offline Latrobe

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2014, 02:21:34 PM »
I like to set my 262 guns at separate convergances. I set 2 to 200 yards and the other 2 at 400 yards. This gives a nice kind of shotgun spread and higher change of hitting the target at most ranges. I usually pull lead at 400 and let a good 1-2 second burst go. The ammo count may not look like a lot but the ammo really does last a little while so don't be afraid to waste a few rounds.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6p2_JnwsyB4

watch the master :aok

^^ That's what I watched to try and learn how Grizz does it. He's a master with taters!  :aok

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2014, 02:47:30 PM »
I generally start shooting at 3-400 out and try to set up for a crossing shot wherever possible.  Six shots in the jet are tricky.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline Randy1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2014, 02:52:56 PM »
Ink, outstanding video.  Thanks for the link.

I like to set my 262 guns at separate convergances. I set 2 to 200 yards and the other 2 at 400 yards. This gives a nice kind of shotgun spread and higher change of hitting the target at most ranges. I usually pull lead at 400 and let a good 1-2 second burst go. The ammo count may not look like a lot but the ammo really does last a little while so don't be afraid to waste a few rounds.

^^ That's what I watched to try and learn how Grizz does it. He's a master with taters!  :aok

I had not even thought of convergence.  I will give that a go Latrobe.  

I am a little lire of practicing in the 262 Wiliy thinking it will through off my 50 cal shooting and its not that good as it is.  Still the 262 is calling.

Thanks to you all.

Offline olds442

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2014, 02:53:00 PM »
pull the trigger at 400 that way you're at around 200 when the con dies and have time to evade its wreckage. I remember the first big kill streak I got on in a 262 with 8 kills. I go to kill a 190 and I shoot too late and didn't have time evade his burning plane and it smacked the wing right off me  :ahand
only a moron would use Dolby positioning in a game.
IGN: cutlass "shovels and rakes and implements of destruction"

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2014, 03:56:40 PM »
I am a little lire of practicing in the 262 Wiliy thinking it will through off my 50 cal shooting and its not that good as it is.  Still the 262 is calling.

Thanks to you all.

It's a concern switching between guns.  I usually just double my .50 cal lead for the 30mm and that puts me in the ballpark.  In the 262 I don't shoot outside 400 at all though.  +1 on the 'shotgun' convergence too.  It puts out a nice ribbon of taters for the guy to run into.  It can be a bit inefficient on bomber shots though where you have to get multiple hits to bring them down.  The price we pay for the spread for fighters I guess.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline SkyRock

• Platinum Member

Triton28 - "...his stats suggest he has a healthy combination of suck and sissy!"

Offline LCADolby

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2014, 06:26:13 PM »
I have a film of 262 onboard, but seeing the Grizz film..  :confused:
JG5 "Eismeer"
YouTube+Twitch - 20Dolby10

"BE a man and shoot me in the back" - pez

Offline Randy1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2014, 09:29:25 PM »
I have a film of 262 onboard, but seeing the Grizz film..  :confused:

I will watch yours as well for sure.

Offline Banshee7

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2014, 08:52:34 AM »
Tours 86 - 296

Offline RotBaron

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2014, 12:39:20 PM »
 :O    :x

Yesterday I did a 262 sortie, man everything about it is subtle, too much speed, too little speed...lots of practice ahead of me I see.

Thing that made it most difficult for me was everything put nose on me, didn't seem to matter what I tried I just couldn't seem to get angles on them that kept them from turning around to ho me. Just lots of practice, I guess ahead. I see what you mean though about the dead 6 shot being tricky, slightest maneuver at the last second and there's not time to adjust.

Wow   :lol

:salute
They're casting their bait over there, see?

Offline Randy1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2014, 01:29:39 PM »
:O    :x

Yesterday I did a 262 sortie, man everything about it is subtle, too much speed, too little speed...lots of practice ahead of me I see.

Thing that made it most difficult for me was everything put nose on me, didn't seem to matter what I tried I just couldn't seem to get angles on them that kept them from turning around to ho me. Just lots of practice, I guess ahead. I see what you mean though about the dead 6 shot being tricky, slightest maneuver at the last second and there's not time to adjust.

Wow   :lol

:salute

I will never forget Lusche's 262 attach on a Rook horde and base capture.  Our planes filled the air with celebratory Vox messages still fresh on the squad channel.  In comes Lusche.  I had some alt so I dove down but could only follow him calling out check 6s. Wow! Five kills in a row with no more than one long sweeping turn through the celebrating Rook horde. 

I chased him back to his base only to run out of fuel with the runway in sight.  After the engine stopped things got ugly.