Author Topic: Yeah I can hit more high notes than Geddy Lee  (Read 552 times)

Offline SIM

• Nickel Member
Yeah I can hit more high notes than Geddy Lee
« on: April 11, 2014, 03:46:13 PM »

As many know, I work for a power company. I spend my days playing with that one thing that you cant see, feel, touch, taste or smell, until its too late. Ive had transformers blow their top next to my bucket, fuzes blow at the end of an 8ft stick used to energize a circuit. Ive had meter boxes come apart and short as I attempted to pull the meter out. All of those instances make for interesting times in my line of work. Ive been very lucky not to be hurt in the past 25 years.

But today absolutely found me scared out of my wits...............

I had a job to hang around 250ft of wire across 3 different poles. I am a one man crew and this job was going to be the last I worked for this week.

I arrived at the site around 1PM and set up my work zone to begin the work. Pulled off the wire that I needed and got all the other materials laid out so I would not have to hunt anything once I began.

Safety gear..............check
Work zone.....................chec k
Materials ready...............check

Up in the bucket and up the first light pole.
Once at altitude( about 20ft), I pull the existing lines out of the way and get ready to bore a hole in the pole for an eye bolt I will use to hang the wire. I have a hammer drill and a 5/8 inch auger for boring the hole. One last look around to make sure I am clear of any dangers and I bump the auger bit into the pole......

Oh.......

My.......

GOD!!!!!!!!

WHAT THE HELL IS THIS FURRY THING ON MY LEFT SHOULDER!!!!!!!! Where did it come from?????????????????

I am NOT ashamed to say that I screamed like a little girl! My heart went to my throat and I am very lucky that the bottom of my bucket didn't end the week with poo floating in a yellow pond.......

Almost dropped my drill.........May have to stress test the boom after the attack.......I think the entire truck was shaking..........

The light on this pole was behind me. Apparently flying squirrels decided to develop a camp site in that snug, dark, transformer compartment on the light fixture. When I bumped the pole, one of them decided to visit my left shoulder to see what I was doing. When my scream caused his heart to race, he launched off 27 left without contacting departure for clearance. Gliding off to the nearest tree he took the time to look back and me and I swear the little bastage sat there with a smile.....

It gets better.....

So here I am up in my bucket....Ive just had a cute little furry mammal scare the bejeezus out of me and I am trying to calm down to get on with the work. As I said at the start of this note, Ive had transformers/ fuzes blow in very close proximity and not a time did it scare me so bad as this cute furry little terror.

After a few minutes of terror tremors, I once again get my drill up, bump in, NOT AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Two more of the little bastages buzz close enough to each ear that I can hear their passing......... You guys that do memorial flights........you could really learn formation flying from these rodents............

I HATE squirrels.....not dislike...................... ..HATE!

I'm just glad there wasn't a police officer around to investigate the screaming little girl!

Offline Dragon

• Platinum Member
      • AH JUGS
Re: Yeah I can hit more high notes than Geddy Lee
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2014, 03:51:41 PM »
That's friggin awesome.

:lol
SWchef  Lieutenant Colonel  Squadron Training Officer  125th Spartan Warriors

Offline mbailey

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2014, 03:52:02 PM »
 :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl

Im laughing with you, not at you

(well, ok maybe a little at you)
Mbailey
80th FS "Headhunters"

Ichi Go Ichi E
Character is like a tree and reputation like its shadow. The shadow is what we think of it; the tree is the real thing.

When the game is over, the Kings and Pawns all go into the same box.

Offline lunatic1

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2014, 04:27:38 PM »
 :rofl :rofl :rofl 
C.O. of the 173rd Guardian Angels---Don't fire until you can see the whites of their eyes...Major devereux(The Battle Of Wake Island-1941.
R.I.P.49GRIN/GRIN-R.I.P. WWHISKEY R.I.P WIZZY R.I.P.

Offline ROC

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2014, 04:42:21 PM »
Mason called me when this happened, I was laughing so hard I couldn't see, had to pull over into the 7-11 parking lot. I was in tears.

This is a sugar glider.  This is what scared the crap out of our big, burly lineman  :rofl

ROC
Nothing clever here.  Please, move along.

Offline ROC

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2014, 04:43:31 PM »
Mason called me when this happened, I was laughing so hard I couldn't see, had to pull over into the 7-11 parking lot. I was in tears.

This is a sugar glider.  This is what scared the crap out of our big, burly lineman  :rofl

(Image removed from quote.)

I am Begging Skuzzy to clip the cute little buggers face, replace SIMs avatar!!
ROC

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2014, 06:45:00 PM »

Offline Curval

• Plutonium Member
      • http://n/a
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2014, 06:48:25 PM »

(Image removed from quote.)

LOL

:aok
Some will fall in love with life and drink it from a fountain that is pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain

Offline TOMCAT21

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2014, 06:54:54 PM »
 :rofl
RETIRED US Army/ Flying and dying since Tour 80/"We're paratroopers, Lieutenant, we're supposed to be surrounded." - Capt. Richard Winters.  FSO 412th FNVG/MA- REGULATORS

Offline Groth

• Nickel Member
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2014, 07:29:47 PM »
 First man who taught me serious first aid was first responder for Com Ed in Ca...related his 1st call was worker on hi-ten wires who'd lost arm...
 You guys are some really brave souls.
 Bless you and your buddis.
                                          JGroth

Offline danny76

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2014, 09:20:57 PM »
Made me laugh, thanks for that :rofl :rofl :rofl
"You kill 'em all, I'll eat the BATCO!"
The GFC

"Not within a thousand years will man ever fly" - Wilbur Wright

Offline Scherf

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2014, 09:35:09 PM »
 :rofl

:aok

Can't see Brooke's graphic.
... missions were to be met by the commitment of alerted swarms of fighters, composed of Me 109's and Fw 190's, that were strategically based to protect industrial installations. The inferior capabilities of these fighters against the Mosquitoes made this a hopeless and uneconomical effort. 1.JD KTB

Offline ROC

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2014, 11:04:28 PM »
Just a side note, Mason (SIM) caught the culprit, and took the picture. Yes, those are his nails, ain't he sexy??
ROC

Offline Dichotomy

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2014, 07:10:36 AM »
too damn funny  

here ya go SIM

ROC you're welcome
« Last Edit: April 12, 2014, 07:16:40 AM by Dichotomy »
JG11 - Dicho37Only The Proud Only The Strong AH Players who've passed on :salute

Offline Copprhed

• Silver Member
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2014, 08:15:24 AM »
Thet's one viscious rrrrrebbitt!!(from Monty Python's Holy Grail)
Tried to post a pic, can't remember how...someone PLEASE help
« Last Edit: April 12, 2014, 08:20:39 AM by Copprhed »
Flight Leader: "Bogeys at 2 o'clock!"
Wingman: "Roger, It's 1:30 now, what do I do 'til then?"