Author Topic: Another Unique Mechanic Thread  (Read 323 times)

Offline branch37

• Silver Member
      • VF-17 Jolly Rogers
Another Unique Mechanic Thread
« on: April 13, 2014, 02:21:40 AM »
Some of yall may remember a while back I posted a picture of this cylinder head I was working on.  I didn't have the piston in the shop at the time, but I did have one the other day and figured I would share it. 

Here's the head again.  This is actually the bottom half of the head.  You can see the packing case on the top in the center that seals around the rod.

And here's the piston. It's not supposed to be that color.  They are made out of aluminum, so they are usually a shiny metallic color.  This one is brown because the mechanic on site put the exhaust valves where the intake valves should have been. 

On a side note, this is what happens to a similar size piston (17" diameter) when fluid gets in the cylinder with the pistons running between 900 and 1200 RPMs.

CMDR Branch37
VF-17 Jolly Rogers  C.O.

Offline zack1234

• Plutonium Member
Re: Another Unique Mechanic Thread
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2014, 03:05:57 AM »
How big are you?
There are no pies stored in this plane overnight

The GFC
Pipz lived in the Wilderness near Ontario

Offline branch37

• Silver Member
      • VF-17 Jolly Rogers
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2014, 03:42:45 AM »
about average size 5'10" ish

CMDR Branch37
VF-17 Jolly Rogers  C.O.

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2014, 04:26:39 AM »
What kind of engine is that? How is the piston's motion translated to rotation?

”It's a shame that he's gone, but the shame is entirely his”
HiTech 2 - Skyyr 0

Offline -ammo-

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2014, 05:38:38 AM »
That's an interesting design.  Looking at the top picture, if you hadn't of said otherwise, I would've thought I was looking at the crankcase and the cylinder heads would bolt down on those studs.

What does this engine provide power for?
Commanding Officer, 56 Fighter Group
Retired USAF - 1988 - 2011

Offline zack1234

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2014, 05:55:11 AM »
about average size 5'10" ish

You look about 1 foot tall against that piston :)

The GFC

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2014, 06:03:32 AM »
That must be one of those fuel efficient down-sized engines. Everything about it just screams efficiency.  :rock
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline zack1234

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2014, 06:08:33 AM »
Its of a tractor or a American car :old:

The GFC

Offline branch37

• Silver Member
      • VF-17 Jolly Rogers
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2014, 01:13:36 PM »
What kind of engine is that? How is the piston's motion translated to rotation?

That must be one of those fuel efficient down-sized engines. Everything about it just screams efficiency.  :rock
Its of a tractor or a American car :old:

Its actually a piston from a natural gas compressor.  I should have mentioned this in the OP but I forget things sometimes.  When the piston moves back, it draws natural gas in from a storage tank or straight from the well.  When it moves forward, it compresses it in to a high pressure storage tank for transportation.  There are usually 2-8 pistons connected to a crankshaft which is connected to a very large engine.  The diameter for the crankshaft for this particular setup is is about the size of my thigh.

CMDR Branch37
VF-17 Jolly Rogers  C.O.

Offline branch37

• Silver Member
      • VF-17 Jolly Rogers
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2014, 01:16:07 PM »
The picture of the busted piston is only one scenario of what can happen when something goes wrong.  When fluid gets in the cylinder, you are going to find out really quick where the weak point in the whole thing is.  Usually it just totals the piston, but my foreman has heard stories of it shearing off every bolt where the head connects to the cylinder and blowing the entire head 30 yards out into the pasture. Just to give you and idea of what the head weighs.  That is only half the head in the picture.  I popped a wheelie in a 1 ton winch truck moving it.

CMDR Branch37
VF-17 Jolly Rogers  C.O.

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2014, 06:19:25 PM »
Its actually a piston from a natural gas compressor.  I should have mentioned this in the OP but I forget things sometimes.  When the piston moves back, it draws natural gas in from a storage tank or straight from the well.  When it moves forward, it compresses it in to a high pressure storage tank for transportation.  There are usually 2-8 pistons connected to a crankshaft which is connected to a very large engine.  The diameter for the crankshaft for this particular setup is is about the size of my thigh.

I knew it was some type of compressor,my Dad used to work with similar compressors on the ships. They were used to supply air for various tasks and were an on demand setup,no storage tanks,if you needed more air the the valves would operate,otherwise they stayed open!

You should see the crank on a diesel/steam engine!

:salute