Author Topic: External Views for Fighters in MA  (Read 3529 times)

Offline shoresroad

• Copper Member
External Views for Fighters in MA
« on: April 14, 2014, 03:49:40 PM »
When I play single player WWII flight Sims I enjoy the external views while in transit.  I enjoy watching the formations, skins and scenery from all the different angles.  When fighting I never use external views as I would rather be in the cockpit and I can see no advantage to external views when fighting.  If I switch to them I am suddenly disoriented and I never use them even though I can.

With TrackIR and the 6k icon range in the MA I almost never sneak up on anyone nor does anyone sneak up on me.  Just wondering what the rational is for no external views for fighters in the MA.  Did someone master the external chase view to a huge advantage?  I would feel at a disadvantage trying to fight in an external view but would enjoy the scenery when in transit so just curious on the history of this.  Was it tried but didn't work out?
"Find your enemy and shoot him down - everything else is unimportant."
Manfred von Richthofen

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
Re: External Views for Fighters in MA
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2014, 04:23:11 PM »
Because flying in 3rd person (external) view is very arcade like and no place in a sim based game.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline dirtdart

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2014, 04:26:13 PM »
I think F3 should be available if you are auto pilot. That way you can see if a Peeee-38 is diving on you while you sip your scotch while autoclimbing.....
If you are not GFC...you are wee!
Put on your boots boots boots...and parachutes..chutes...chutes.. .
Illigitimus non carborundum

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2014, 04:27:01 PM »
Blind spots are part of air combat. That's why padlock breaks in AH. With F3 there are no blind spots.

Offline Aspen

• Nickel Member
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2014, 04:32:49 PM »
The only time I take to get a good look at fighter skins is when sitting on the runway waiting for squaddies to show up if we are grouping up.  They are pretty cool and a lot of effort goes into them.  I don't know if there is a solution, but it would be nice if we could look at them during the time it takes to get to and back from a fight. Important? Not really, but its almost like a waste of all the time and detail that guys spend on them.  There's a lot of down time while in flight and adjusting sounds, looking for NOE raids and watching guys rant on 200 only fills so much.

The only solution I see is F3 available if no enemy is within a certain range, but then getting snapped back into cockpit view would save a lot of daydreaming pilots.
AMAX  in game

Offline BnZs

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2014, 04:41:20 PM »
With practice F3 can be used for advantage both offensively and defensively. It just doesn't belong in a sim, sorry.
"Crikey, sir. I'm looking forward to today. Up diddly up, down diddly down, whoops, poop, twiddly dee - decent scrap with the fiendish Red Baron - bit of a jolly old crash landing behind enemy lines - capture, torture, escape, and then back home in time for tea and medals."

Online DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2014, 04:53:08 PM »
When I play single player WWII flight Sims I enjoy the external views while in transit.  I enjoy watching the formations, skins and scenery from all the different angles.  When fighting I never use external views as I would rather be in the cockpit and I can see no advantage to external views when fighting.  If I switch to them I am suddenly disoriented and I never use them even though I can.

With TrackIR and the 6k icon range in the MA I almost never sneak up on anyone nor does anyone sneak up on me.  Just wondering what the rational is for no external views for fighters in the MA.  Did someone master the external chase view to a huge advantage?  I would feel at a disadvantage trying to fight in an external view but would enjoy the scenery when in transit so just curious on the history of this.  Was it tried but didn't work out?

Because you can get a huge advantage on lead shots, easy views, and it's unrealistic and cheesy. I know for a fact that most of the defensive tactics I use make it extremely difficult to hit me because I use the front nose blind spot to give them a hard shot and so I can set up a reverse maneuver. It's part of ACM and makes the game more realistic and challenging.
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline XxDaSTaRxx

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2014, 08:36:20 PM »
EX view on bombers can be a good friend

I just like viewing my formation of friendlies and taking screenshots....

(incoming "External View Dweeb" replies)
Quote from: Latrobe
Do not run.
Face your opponent with all you have.
If you die you have something to learn.

Offline Mongoose

• Silver Member
      • Kentwood Station
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2014, 11:24:10 PM »
  You can always fire up the film viewer afterward.  I like to do that after a good fight, and check out the damage to my plane. 
My Aces High fan site:
www.kentwoodstation.com

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2014, 11:27:31 PM »
The only time I take to get a good look at fighter skins is when sitting on the runway waiting for squaddies to show up if we are grouping up.  They are pretty cool and a lot of effort goes into them.  I don't know if there is a solution, but it would be nice if we could look at them during the time it takes to get to and back from a fight. Important? Not really, but its almost like a waste of all the time and detail that guys spend on them.  There's a lot of down time while in flight and adjusting sounds, looking for NOE raids and watching guys rant on 200 only fills so much.

The only solution I see is F3 available if no enemy is within a certain range, but then getting snapped back into cockpit view would save a lot of daydreaming pilots.

TA or film...
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline scott66

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2014, 12:57:51 AM »
Fps 14?
"scott66"        
 XO ThunderHorse Squadron.    

"This place is a psychologist's wet dream".... FishBait

Offline pervert

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2014, 01:08:05 AM »
Fps 14?

Itsa real spicy meatball!!  :banana:

Offline zack1234

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2014, 01:21:09 AM »
There are no pies stored in this plane overnight

The GFC
Pipz lived in the Wilderness near Ontario

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2014, 01:26:22 AM »
Fps 14?

Operation Object Overload.

Offline XxDaSTaRxx

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2014, 05:50:36 AM »
Fps 14?
Usually a constant 59/60 normally on higher end graphics settings, but that strat raid made my computer whine.
Quote from: Latrobe
Do not run.
Face your opponent with all you have.
If you die you have something to learn.