Author Topic: HE kills from tanks main guns shooting into ground  (Read 4269 times)

Offline FLOOB

• Gold Member
Re: HE kills from tanks main guns shooting into ground
« Reply #45 on: April 19, 2014, 08:16:38 AM »

That close to 85mm HE shell going off SHOULD mess you up.
“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans” - John Steinbeck

Offline FLOOB

• Gold Member
« Reply #46 on: April 19, 2014, 08:25:51 AM »
Actually re watched the whole video from that sortie, prior to my getting killed it turns out I had a 'near miss' with him doing the same thing you can hear the explosion 'clipping' the aircraft as it exits. You can actually see here in my screenshot something striking the plane. IV himself told me that he trys to shoot exactly as the plane is over his tank, in this video you can see him reacting to me making my run, he tries to get his gun elevated high enough, sees that I am coming in to steep and turns the tank to avoid the shot, this is no FE lag.

(Image removed from quote.)

alt seems to have less bearing as width, this is a box a cube around the explosion, this means someone can fire even if a plane has passed them and there is a chance the plane will get caught in the box.

Here is another film with the near strike.

http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=361289.0;attach=19114

Watch it, IV is reacting to what I am doing in his attack run, this is nothing to do with lag or FE
There is always lag, which means on his end you were at a lower alt and farther away from him. I can't be the only one who's seen planes fly under ground before pulling up when lag is high. I don't know about artillery shells but back in AHI bomb explosions were modeled so that damage to ground objects diminished with distance from the explosion. Can you get iraqvet's film of the event?
“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans” - John Steinbeck

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #47 on: April 19, 2014, 10:21:10 AM »
Blast radius collision are simply a sphere. And damage varies with the square of the distance.

Armored vehicles will take damaged just like being hit by a weapon in that if it doesn't penetrate, no damage is applied.

HiTech

Offline FLOOB

• Gold Member
« Reply #48 on: April 19, 2014, 10:56:30 AM »
According to wikipedia the gun that the t34/85 is armed with shot down over 4,000 aircraft.  :lol

Offline Megalodon

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #49 on: April 19, 2014, 11:11:41 AM »
According to wikipedia the gun that the t34/85 is armed with shot down over 4,000 aircraft.  :lol

And not 1 of those while it was mounted on the tank..........  :lol

Buffoon,
Okay..Add 2 Country's at once, Australia and France next plane update Add ...CAC Boomerang and the Dewoitine D.520

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #50 on: April 19, 2014, 12:36:45 PM »
Blast radius collision are simply a sphere. And damage varies with the square of the distance.

Armored vehicles will take damaged just like being hit by a weapon in that if it doesn't penetrate, no damage is applied.

HiTech

There you go, pervert. Everything I said is now verified. You can now end the shreckless attack on vehicles in the game.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #51 on: April 19, 2014, 12:41:18 PM »
Buffoon,

:rofl

There you go, pervert. Everything I said is now verified. You can now end the shreckless attack on vehicles in the game.

Only the spherical blast model, which was a reasonable assumption. What about the real world limitations?

Happy Friday Pipz!
-=Army of Muppets=-
"Get stuffed Skyyr, you freak" - Zack1234

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 19, 2014, 12:48:39 PM »
Does anybody know the historical minimum arming distance for such a tank HE shell?
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #53 on: April 19, 2014, 12:51:56 PM »
Does anybody know the historical minimum arming distance for such a tank HE shell?

Exactly. Or where the fuse is, how it's triggered (abrupt deceleration or an actual impact of the fuse), does the casing favour a spherical blast or a directed one, is the blast also displaced sideways as a result of the high lateral velocity of the round etc...

Happy Friday Pipz!
-=Army of Muppets=-
"Get stuffed Skyyr, you freak" - Zack1234

Offline FLOOB

• Gold Member
« Reply #54 on: April 19, 2014, 01:24:33 PM »
And not 1 of those while it was mounted on the tank..........  :lol

Buffoon,
For reals??

Offline pervert

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #55 on: April 19, 2014, 02:53:25 PM »
For reals??

The 85s gun was one of the main Russian anti aircraft guns, bit like the German's 88

Offline pervert

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #56 on: April 19, 2014, 03:17:14 PM »

HiTech

Which one of the 3? If it is a true spherical blast (no1) then a good strategy would be to go low onto the deck right after an attack run? 2 would seem a strange shape for a blast, 3 seems a more likely blast for a shell fired into the ground?

And can you accumulate blast damage in a plane, ie a near miss on one will lead to a greater likelyhood of failure on the next pass?

Ahem, I am trying to talk to someone who has actually made a flight sim...thats not you btw, fake sims don't count, go sit in the corner there like a good girl.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2014, 03:29:12 PM by pervert »

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #57 on: April 19, 2014, 04:07:06 PM »
Quirky things with the blast radius  I took a screen shot moments after the flack survived a round from a shore batt. Notice where it landed the flack was right beside the building at the time of inpact.

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 19, 2014, 04:34:28 PM »
I just toyed around with tank HE shells in offline mode. I could not test for the damager radius vs planes (would take two players and a custom arena to do this), so I tried to find out the radius of the kill zone vs a Jeep (the only unarmored ground vehicle in game).

It seems that the instant kill radius vs an undamaged Jeep is ~45 yards for a T-34/85 or a Tiger I HE shell and ~30 yards for a T-34/76 or a M4(76)w HE shell.

Of course it doesn't mean the kill zone against planes has the same exact size (not entirely unlikely it's even smaller), but it may give a hint. A more elaborate test in a CA could easily give more meaningful results.

Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline pervert

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #59 on: April 19, 2014, 05:39:31 PM »
I am looking around for some sort of reference site for burst patterns but the best I could find was a tripod site  :( dunno how good a source that would be but its quite an interesting read.

http://nigelef.tripod.com/wt_of_fire.htm#The%20Effects%20of%20HE%20Shells

It has a burst pattern for ww2 British HE shells depending on the angle of entry.
Lusche do you think that is the correct shape for what we have in game? Like the semi spherical one you have illustrated?

If you see me online give me a shout I will go and help you run any tests you need
« Last Edit: April 19, 2014, 06:16:15 PM by pervert »