Author Topic: Triple Monitors?  (Read 2397 times)

Offline Lone82

• Copper Member
Triple Monitors?
« on: April 18, 2014, 08:46:22 AM »
Is anybody running AH on triple monitors? If so, what is your setup?
Life is Hard, But it's even HARDER when your Stupid- John Wayne

Offline Hoplite

• Nickel Member
Re: Triple Monitors?
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2014, 09:09:13 AM »
Is anybody running AH on triple monitors? If so, what is your setup?

Three 27" Viewsonic 1ms LCD monitors
Two Nvidia 670 GTX cards in SLI mode
Game runs at Desktop resolution of 5990 x 1080 (Bezel Corrected)

Offline Bino

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2014, 10:03:08 AM »
3 x ASUS 25" VE258Q monitors  (5760 x 1080)
1 x AMD 7950 card

Very happy with it.   :aok

For details see PC specs link in signature, below.

"The plural of 'anecdote' is not 'data'." - Randy Pausch

PC Specs

Offline hyzer

• Copper Member
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2014, 10:53:20 AM »
I ran triple monitors in landscape mode for 6 months or so.  Changed over to portrait mode a few months back.  In landscape I didn't feel I was able to use all the extra horizontal viewing area.  Don't get me wrong, it looked really nice and in other games it may be really usefull, for me not so much.  In portrait mode I feel the extra vertical view is actually very functional.  One other thing that may have influenced my choice is I also use TrackIR.  In landscape I could never scan with my eyes far enough to see either edge of the screens without turning my head, sorta defeated the purpose for me.  Distortion is also very apparent as you get closer to the edges.  In portrait I can scan a large viewing area with just my eyes, distortion is also minimized.  It just feels more like I'm really sitting in the cockpit and looking around.

We have clearance, Clarence. Roger, Roger. What's our vector, Victor?

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2014, 04:06:27 PM »
I ran 3 23 in monitors for over 2 years using two 465 video cards and an 2500k intel cpu.  it was smooth as heck and nice to see from wingtip to wingtip.  I also used trakir which made it even nicer as I could see "everything". 

I now used a single monitor with 2460x1640 or something like that and the game looks even nicer.  I still have all my other 3 monitors and was thinking of hooking up a second one so I can watch netflix while playing the game for those long boring flights.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2014, 04:36:44 PM »
Hyzer what you call distortion is just perspective. Parallel lines have to diverge as they get closer to the viewer. Your eye is the same but our visual attention is centered. Just like watching the center monitor with TIR. The aspect ratio with triple landscape mode let's you see motion with your peripheral vision but what we consider normal perspective is limited to about 80 degrees of view angle.

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2014, 06:39:02 PM »
I'm using three monitors on a single GTX 680 in AH. The CPU is a 4770K with 16GB of memory. I have much more expensive cards, but this is really all you need. You can expand the amount of anisotropic filtering and other features by using later cards, or SLI, but you don't have to do that.

I'm planning on orienting these monitors to portrait mode, because aside from AH I use the system more for digital design (Illustrator, Flash, Photoshop, etc.) and the wide screen format causes too much neck turning.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2014, 09:52:34 AM »
I am also using three monitors with a 4770K, 16GB of RAM and a 770 GTX.   
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline hyzer

• Copper Member
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2014, 11:12:36 AM »
Hyzer what you call distortion is just perspective. Parallel lines have to diverge as they get closer to the viewer. Your eye is the same but our visual attention is centered. Just like watching the center monitor with TIR. The aspect ratio with triple landscape mode let's you see motion with your peripheral vision but what we consider normal perspective is limited to about 80 degrees of view angle.

Yep, bad choice of a word.   Thanks for the clarification.  :salute
We have clearance, Clarence. Roger, Roger. What's our vector, Victor?

Offline ebfd11

• Platinum Member
      • [b]POTW[/b]
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2014, 08:25:47 AM »
I run triple 24s on dual 570 gtx in sli on landscape and I love the total immersion.  I have had no problems with it and I am happier than a pig in poo with it.

The only drawback is, you don't have a full scope view, the too and bottom is cut off, in vehicles.

My resolution is 5760 X 1080.
LawnDart
PIGS ON THE WING 3RD WING

InGame id: LawnDart
RIP Skullman Potzie and BentNail

Offline wpeters

• Silver Member
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2014, 11:22:06 AM »
I'm using three monitors on a single GTX 680 in AH. The CPU is a 4770K with 16GB of memory. I have much more expensive cards, but this is really all you need. You can expand the amount of anisotropic filtering and other features by using later cards, or SLI, but you don't have to do that.

I'm planning on orienting these monitors to portrait mode, because aside from AH I use the system more for digital design (Illustrator, Flash, Photoshop, etc.) and the wide screen format causes too much neck turning.

I am thinking about switching over to that type of setup. Any suggestions on how to set it up.  i5 3750k Gtx 680 OC
LtCondor
          The Damned
Fighter pilots are either high, or in the process of getting high.🙊
The difference between Dweebs and non dweebs... Dweebs have kills

Offline Mister Fork

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2014, 12:38:27 PM »
I did try running triple monitors but the zooming effect of the two side monitors just blows.  I have 3 24" BenQ Gaming Monitors off a Asus NVIDIA 770 GTX 2Gb.  I tried it for a few months but didn't like the strange zooming on the side monitors - why can't it be just 1 to 1 for vision?  The size stretching/zooming is stupid from a gameplay perspective and adds zero value to help improve situational awareness (SA).  It looks cool, but in practically doesn't work that well.

When the Oculas Razor comes out next year, it'll be a game-change from a SA perspective and will only cost the price of a decent video card.  

In the mean time, save your money on the three monitor setup and get a really good video card with TrackIR.
"Games are meant to be fun and fair but fighting a war is neither." - HiTech

Offline wpeters

• Silver Member
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2014, 01:13:30 PM »
I did try running triple monitors but the zooming effect of the two side monitors just blows.  I have 3 24" BenQ Gaming Monitors off a Asus NVIDIA 770 GTX 2Gb.  I tried it for a few months but didn't like the strange zooming on the side monitors - why can't it be just 1 to 1 for vision?  The size stretching/zooming is stupid from a gameplay perspective and adds zero value to help improve situational awareness (SA).  It looks cool, but in practically doesn't work that well.

When the Oculas Razor comes out next year, it'll be a game-change from a SA perspective and will only cost the price of a decent video card.  

In the mean time, save your money on the three monitor setup and get a really good video card with TrackIR.

ty
LtCondor
          The Damned
Fighter pilots are either high, or in the process of getting high.🙊
The difference between Dweebs and non dweebs... Dweebs have kills

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2014, 11:04:37 PM »

with 3 screens, I could see from wingtip to wingtip on my pony.  and if you also have trakir it is amazing.  to say that it adds zero value to improve situational awareness is like saying you dont need trakir because it doesnt improve over having all the views mapped on your joystick.

I guess your perspective on 3 monitors is different than some of us.  just like I think the oculus will be cool up until the first time you spill your beer all over your keyboard.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2014, 02:42:07 AM »
I think a 680 is plenty of video card for AH and three monitors. wpeters I have a huge desk with plenty of real estate even with three monitors in landscape. What I did was add a bookshelf on top so that I could get my TV tuner and virtualizer above the top edge of the center monitor in landscape, ad also allow one or the other to fit in below when I use portrait mode. It's designed with two vertical surfaces on which a hinged VESA mount is attached for each monitor. Two monitors share the same mount point, but have separate swing hinges. You can buy the VESA hinge setup from Amazon for $15, or Best Buy online for $11. These cheaper hinges do not rotate, so if you want to change orientation you have to dismount and remount.

Outside of that it is just a matter of using the output options on your card and get an appropriate cable to match your setup.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.