Author Topic: Car Guys, Assemble!  (Read 4790 times)

Offline skorpx1

• Silver Member
Re: Car Guys, Assemble!
« Reply #45 on: April 19, 2014, 01:51:47 PM »
Another good car from the 70's.

'72 Ford Gran Torino Fastback.

Oh, the movie was good too.  :D

Offline ROC

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #46 on: April 19, 2014, 03:26:59 PM »
Skorpx, now that's a great car, my first car I built was a 72 Ranchero with the 429CJ, what a monster :)  Favorite year for those cars.
ROC
Nothing clever here.  Please, move along.

Offline olds442

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #47 on: April 19, 2014, 03:29:45 PM »

Need I say more? :D
only a moron would use Dolby positioning in a game.
IGN: cutlass "shovels and rakes and implements of destruction"

Offline 68ZooM

• Platinum Member
« Reply #48 on: April 19, 2014, 03:32:11 PM »
I could have sworn that Daisy drove a 73 Road Runner (Yellow & Black) and not a Challenger.   

I think you're correct, 1973 Satellite with the Roadrunner package I had the same year with the 440 six pack pistol grip four speed, that was a scary fast car lol
UrSelf...Pigs On The Wing...Retired

Was me, I bumped a power cord. HiTEch

Offline skorpx1

• Silver Member
« Reply #49 on: April 19, 2014, 03:35:38 PM »
Skorpx, now that's a great car, my first car I built was a 72 Ranchero with the 429CJ, what a monster :)  Favorite year for those cars.

Rancheros are great looking cars as well. Id like to own one of those in the future for sure.

Offline 68ZooM

• Platinum Member
« Reply #50 on: April 19, 2014, 04:41:21 PM »
my grandparents had a 57 Ranchero and I wanted that thing really bad but they sold it before I was 10 , i did buy a 47 ford pu from a mortuary/ Cemetery at 13 yrs old. I spent the next three years on cherrying  it out into a little hot rod, that little flathead v8 sure put out some horse power.
UrSelf...Pigs On The Wing...Retired

Was me, I bumped a power cord. HiTEch

Offline FLOOB

• Gold Member
« Reply #51 on: April 19, 2014, 05:45:05 PM »
I hate how all cars now must have the rear end chopped off so that the brake lights are way up high, even the corvette had it's butt chopped. Oh and another thing the two inch flatted area around the wheel wells. :furious
“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans” - John Steinbeck

Offline craz07

• Silver Member
« Reply #52 on: April 19, 2014, 05:48:17 PM »
o boy floob don't get me going.. there are cars out there that you completely wonder what the heck were the manufactureres thinking.. it just disgusts me to no end apparently..  :bhead
Don't let others drag you down with their own hatred and fear

Offline uptown

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #53 on: April 19, 2014, 06:19:16 PM »
This thread gives me wood
Lighten up Francis

Offline mbailey

• Platinum Member
« Reply #54 on: April 19, 2014, 06:49:42 PM »
This thread gives me wood

I have a good friend that has that one in Plum  :aok
Mbailey
80th FS "Headhunters"

Ichi Go Ichi E
Character is like a tree and reputation like its shadow. The shadow is what we think of it; the tree is the real thing.

When the game is over, the Kings and Pawns all go into the same box.

Offline skorpx1

• Silver Member
« Reply #55 on: April 19, 2014, 09:08:59 PM »
o boy floob don't get me going.. there are cars out there that you completely wonder what the heck were the manufactureres thinking.. it just disgusts me to no end apparently..  :bhead

This is what really gets me.

Like.

What the hell, Pontiac? Did they start with one car, then dump another one on top of it? Was the body supposed to look like a 10 year old with parkinsons designed it? Is it supposed to be this friggin ugly, and was it supposed to be one of the worst selling cars ever made? How did this not get noticed by the marketing team at GM and scrapped instantly? Was everyone smoking meth when this was produced? I think so.

:bhead

Offline quig

• Nickel Member
« Reply #56 on: April 19, 2014, 09:41:12 PM »
Chargers and Pintos? Pffft!

Offline eagl

• Platinum Member
« Reply #57 on: April 19, 2014, 11:23:07 PM »
The best thing about the new charger is that it doesn't look like a chevy Malibu.  Wait. That's the worst thing about the chevy SS.

I've seriously considered as a car project buying a chevy SS and then transplanting all the body panels from my G8 to the SS.  The G8 looks hot I think, and after 5 years I still get compliments and people are shocked to see a Pontiac badge instead of some euro badge.  "Is that the new BMW 5?  I didn't know they came in red." was my favorite question, for 2 straight years.  The SS is mechanically AWESOME, but it looks like a freaking Malibu.  They should have at the very least tried to make it look a bit more like an impala instead of the malibu, if they were just going to copy the styling from another lesser product they were already selling.  The G8 looks fast just sitting there.  The SS looks totally ready to go out for groceries.  At 180 mph, agreed.  But its still on a grocery run.

Everyone I know, goes away, in the end.

Offline MK-84

• Gold Member
« Reply #58 on: April 20, 2014, 12:39:24 AM »
The blackout treatment, up front, mimics the shape of the Audi grill work.

As far as size goes in relation to safety.  They are really two very different things.  The engineering is what determines the safety.  The size only helps, if it is engineered correctly, but it can also work against you.  The amount of energy stored in a 2 ton vehicle moving at 70MPH is far higher than a 1 ton vehicle.

Hence, it takes more car to absorb the energy from the added weight.

Here is a simple test.  Take 500 sheets of .001 thick aluminum and space them 1/2 inch apart, suspended in a rack.  Hoist the rack 125' feet in the air.  Place a rabbit on the top sheet.  Drop it on a carbon steel spike which is 24' tall and 1/8 of an inch in diameter.

Repeat the test using a single sheet of aluminum which is 1/4 inch thick.  This is half the weight of the 500 sheet rack.

Feel free to run the numbers.  I already know the results.

Point being one is better engineered than the other to absorb and distribute the energy before the spike kills the rabbit.  Which one do you think it is?  Why?

The 1/4 inch thick plate will be safer for the rabbit.  I think... :uhoh

I believe this is an experiment of momentum and not gravity. Gravity being used only to demonstrate momentum.

The first sheet of .001 aluminum hitting the spike would slow the rabbit down very slightly. But that would not matter because you still have the additional mass of the 499 sheets (and the rabbit) providing force to the next sheet and so on so forth until rather horrible things happen to the rabbit.  In my mind this is no different of running through 500 separated ribbons at the end of a finish line vs trying to run through one ribbon 500 times stronger. I wish I could explain exactly why, but I cant.  Is this a Newtonian physics experiment?

Offline ROC

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #59 on: April 20, 2014, 01:29:07 AM »
Darn thread got me looking at the Ranchero again.

Just pulled the Porsche out of my garage after replacing the AOE and cleaning out the intake and throttle body.  Now, garage looks empty.  Needs a toy to play with.  Mustangs running great, porsche running great, commuter camry and escape are fine.

Time for another?  Need to decide on the traditional build on a 69 Mustang or go back to the unusual.

ROC
Nothing clever here.  Please, move along.