Author Topic: Car Guys, Assemble!  (Read 4820 times)

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
Re: Car Guys, Assemble!
« Reply #60 on: April 20, 2014, 08:24:47 AM »
I agree that the size should be reduced but then you're trading off something kind of important - safety. The bigger car makes for a bigger crumple zone in the event of a crash but if you take that out, then you won't have the same level of protection.

As far as the Charger looking like an Audi, i'd have to say the headlights look like they were rounded off Ford Fusion headlights, the tail lights were ripped directly off an Audi and the rest of the car is just a more rounded out version of the previous Charger.
headlights look like an audi. tail lights look like they took them right off of the current dart.

the charger uses mostly mercedes suspension. it's too big. it's ugly, and is a disgrace to the heritage of one of the most beautiful cars ever built.

the challenger uses a shortened version of the same chassis. the challenger though, is friggin gorgeous.

both of them i believe use mercedes transmissions and rear diffs too.
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #61 on: April 20, 2014, 08:32:03 AM »
to be totally honest in 1969 every car manufacture had bad arse muscle cars, Ford , Dodge , Plymouth , Chrysler , Chevolet, Buick even AMC....

amc had 2 of the best, most under rated hotrods of the era.

ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #62 on: April 20, 2014, 08:39:41 AM »
Darn thread got me looking at the Ranchero again.

Just pulled the Porsche out of my garage after replacing the AOE and cleaning out the intake and throttle body.  Now, garage looks empty.  Needs a toy to play with.  Mustangs running great, porsche running great, commuter camry and escape are fine.

Time for another?  Need to decide on the traditional build on a 69 Mustang or go back to the unusual.

(Image removed from quote.)

grab a 69 plain-jane mustang, and then hit the scrap yards, to find a wrecked 2011 to present mustang gt. swap the coyote engine, and 6 speed into the 69, for the best of both worlds.  :aok
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #63 on: April 20, 2014, 09:40:47 AM »
Given the Coyote engine is 2 inches wider than the 429 and 1 inch taller, it could be quite a challenge to shoe horn it into the 69 engine bay.  Pretty sure the shock towers are going to have to be heavily modified.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #64 on: April 20, 2014, 09:48:27 AM »
headlights look like an audi. tail lights look like they took them right off of the current dart.

the charger uses mostly mercedes suspension. it's too big. it's ugly, and is a disgrace to the heritage of one of the most beautiful cars ever built.

the challenger uses a shortened version of the same chassis. the challenger though, is friggin gorgeous.

both of them i believe use mercedes transmissions and rear diffs too.

Mercedes transmissions = Absolute crap.   
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline uptown

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #65 on: April 20, 2014, 10:00:55 AM »
Given the Coyote engine is 2 inches wider than the 429 and 1 inch taller, it could be quite a challenge to shoe horn it into the 69 engine bay.  Pretty sure the shock towers are going to have to be heavily modified.
They would. I attempted to install a 429 in a 67 Fairlane once but only had 1" of clearance between shock towers and heads. And that's before the exhaust manifolds were on. It can be done but the hassle isn't worth the time, effort and cost IMO. I lucked out and found a 390 I went that route. Motor mounts, stiffer springs and 9" rearend....and disc brake upgrade was pretty much all I had to.
Lighten up Francis

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #66 on: April 20, 2014, 10:56:18 AM »
Given the Coyote engine is 2 inches wider than the 429 and 1 inch taller, it could be quite a challenge to shoe horn it into the 69 engine bay.  Pretty sure the shock towers are going to have to be heavily modified.

while it is larger, if i'm not mistaken, there are kits out there, to replace the entire front suspension with this swap....including adding the electric assist power steering.

can you imagine the beauty of that gorgeous bodystyle, with all of the performance of the modern car?

check this video out. the shock towers are notched....but that engine looks dam fine in there.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=csScrn44P04
« Last Edit: April 20, 2014, 11:09:26 AM by CAP1 »
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #67 on: April 20, 2014, 10:59:14 AM »
Mercedes transmissions = Absolute crap.   

i believe that their suspensions are the same as the 300. i've been doing a LOT of front end work on a couple of those over the last year or so. seems that the swaybar frame mounts are crap. as are the end links. they rattle. they go bad prematurely. the shifter is another problem. there's a plastic piece in the shifter assembly that tends to break off, preventing taking the car out of park. it's part of the brake/shifter interlock system.
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #68 on: April 20, 2014, 11:01:19 AM »
They would. I attempted to install a 429 in a 67 Fairlane once but only had 1" of clearance between shock towers and heads. And that's before the exhaust manifolds were on. It can be done but the hassle isn't worth the time, effort and cost IMO. I lucked out and found a 390 I went that route. Motor mounts, stiffer springs and 9" rearend....and disc brake upgrade was pretty much all I had to.

the hassle would be more than worth the time. if nothing else, figure that these things run mid 12's in a 3700 pound car. put that into a 3,000 pound car, and you're looking at 11's in an everyday car. and 30mpg.  :devil

also....on the 9" rear? fergetaboutit. go 8.8. it'll handle about 80% of everything a 9" will, and weighs a lot less. parts are more plentiful too.
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline ROC

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #69 on: April 20, 2014, 11:14:40 AM »
grab a 69 plain-jane mustang, and then hit the scrap yards, to find a wrecked 2011 to present mustang gt. swap the coyote engine, and 6 speed into the 69, for the best of both worlds.
That would be fun, but since I've got a newer stang, I would be more inclined to just build up the plain jane one.  I just love the look and feel of a late 60s big block.  The new stuff is good, but I want one car in my garage that isn't a computerized system, just raw heavy metal old school power. 
ROC
Nothing clever here.  Please, move along.

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #70 on: April 20, 2014, 11:33:18 AM »
That would be fun, but since I've got a newer stang, I would be more inclined to just build up the plain jane one.  I just love the look and feel of a late 60s big block.  The new stuff is good, but I want one car in my garage that isn't a computerized system, just raw heavy metal old school power. 

whelp. we're ford guys. so, in proper ford tradition, you must do that in the absolute hardest way possible.  :devil

same car, find a 427 SOHC(if you still can), with a good 4 speed toploader. you'll need the 2.32(i think that was the right one) 1st gear version, as the 2.78 first gear will be too much for that engine.

with that, IF you can make it hook up, you will have the undisputed king of the hill.  :devil
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #71 on: April 20, 2014, 11:44:16 AM »
the hassle would be more than worth the time. if nothing else, figure that these things run mid 12's in a 3700 pound car. put that into a 3,000 pound car, and you're looking at 11's in an everyday car. and 30mpg.  :devil

also....on the 9" rear? fergetaboutit. go 8.8. it'll handle about 80% of everything a 9" will, and weighs a lot less. parts are more plentiful too.

Not sure about that, as far as parts go.  They are about the same.  The 8.8" can be used, but needs axle tube stiffeners as well as a different rear cover to include bolts to prevent the rear bearing caps from walking around.  Also need to get rid of the c-clip retainers at the same time.  Replace the clutch type locker with a Detroit Trutrac.  Replace the stock axles with a set of 31 spline units.

Once all that is done, it would hold up as well as the nine inch.

We had had several guys in the Cobra club switch to the Coyote and it has been ripping the 8.8 rear ends apart.  Shearing axles, burning out the clutch packs and it will not launch straight without the axle tube stiffeners and bolt cap lock downs.

I am going 8.8 in my Cobra, but it is being sent off to Moser for a complete rebuild first.

Dropping a Coyote into a Cobra is not for the faint of heart.  It takes a lot of work to get that engine into the bay so the hood will close.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2014, 11:47:06 AM by Skuzzy »
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #72 on: April 20, 2014, 12:22:58 PM »
Not sure about that, as far as parts go.  They are about the same.  The 8.8" can be used, but needs axle tube stiffeners as well as a different rear cover to include bolts to prevent the rear bearing caps from walking around.  Also need to get rid of the c-clip retainers at the same time.  Replace the clutch type locker with a Detroit Trutrac.  Replace the stock axles with a set of 31 spline units.

We had had several guys in the Cobra club switch to the Coyote and it has been ripping the 8.8 rear ends apart.  Shearing axles, burning out the clutch packs and it will not launch straight without the axle tube stiffeners and bolt cap lock downs.

I am going 8.8 in my Cobra, but it is being sent off to Moser for a complete rebuild first.

Dropping a Coyote into a Cobra is not for the faint of heart.  It takes a lot of work to get that engine into the bay so the hood will close.

THAT sounds like it'll be hard as hell. but i think it'll also be more than worth it.
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline -ammo-

• Platinum Member
« Reply #73 on: April 20, 2014, 01:51:31 PM »

I probably missed a post, but what power plant are you going with in your Cobra?

I would think a coyote would be perfect for a Cobra kit from a performance perspective.  Some of the originals 427s with monster torque.  Is it a fitment issue?
Commanding Officer, 56 Fighter Group
Retired USAF - 1988 - 2011

Offline 68ZooM

• Platinum Member
« Reply #74 on: April 20, 2014, 03:11:12 PM »
amc had 2 of the best, most under rated hotrods of the era.

heck yeah 69 Hurst Rambler scrambler and a 69 javelin AMX both sweet cars and worth a lot of money today.
UrSelf...Pigs On The Wing...Retired

Was me, I bumped a power cord. HiTEch