Author Topic: Car Guys, Assemble!  (Read 4789 times)

Offline -ammo-

• Platinum Member
Re: Car Guys, Assemble!
« Reply #150 on: April 25, 2014, 04:55:38 PM »
Gotta love that.  Dad's parts store was THE hot rod hangout back in the day.  Any racer who came to town always stopped by that store.  Dad supplied every hot rod part available in those days and he staffed the store with really talented people.

Skuzzy, I don't have a story that relates to that but I appreciate you sharing it.  <S>
Commanding Officer, 56 Fighter Group
Retired USAF - 1988 - 2011

Offline Randy1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #151 on: April 25, 2014, 05:10:22 PM »
No kidding.  It was the best.  Back then the mugs were iced as well. Man that was goooood root beer!

None better than that old frosty mug.

We were double dating in my friends 56 buick.  We drove through krystal(Back then was a park an eat in your car place) with the old Buick lopping like it had a high lift cam.  Windows down.  My friends GF, yelled out, "Push in the damn choke."

We all laughed till we nearly cried.

My friend slid down in the seat and eased out the back.  He married that girl.  The he bought one of the first Road Runners.

Offline Hajo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #152 on: April 25, 2014, 06:32:42 PM »
The A&W in our location closed down at the end of 2011.  It was the longest running cruise in the area on Friday nights.  We had the super nats

here at the canfield fairgrounds.  The A&W was our hangout and anyone else who attended the super nats.  The A&W was demolished and a car parts

national chain took its place.  Many pieces of memorabilia were sold at auction at that A&W. To us older car guys a part of History was destroyed.

We still see the owner of the A&W.  He's a great guy.  All he wanted to do was retire.  That A&W will be a part of us old Coots for ever.

Probably hard for some to understand why we feel that way.  I guess it would be hard to explain.  There was a lot of rubber laid on the road

in front of that A&W.  I dunno....A&Ws seemed to be hangouts for us car guys.   They drew great crowds and great cars.
- The Flying Circus -

Offline icepac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #153 on: April 26, 2014, 09:41:19 AM »
I both miss and don't miss the big V8s of my childhood but I still hoard a merlin II 9.4 liter big block that lurks in a friend's basement waiting for the day and am contemplating getting a 6 liter LS engine/auto transmission deal since a friend is getting them for around 1500 bucks with engine management harness intact.

Hopefully I can score one for my last remaining american iron vehicle.

Yes, those are 255s front and back since the 295s won't fit on the wagons because of the skirted rear wheel arches.

Since work is slowing down on record attempts and customer vehicles, I am now also full time as a toyota technician.

speaking of manometer data......

We used 8 channels of manometer data (sampled at various parts of the body and engine intakes) and 4 channels of ride height (AIM evo4 with smartycam)  and a few channels of speed, G loading, and gps speed vs wheel speed on the GT in addition to the datalogging capabilities of the Big stuff 3 engine management system.

The ride height data was especially important in setting up the car's suspension and aero for speeds up to 300mph and the information allowed us to be the only ford GT running standing mile races that lacks the front splitter and the drag it brings.

There is a device called the IO8 and a newer one with more channels which you can plug into a laptop to give you sweet data from anything from throttle position sensor to thermocouple sensing.

I use it with nistune on my Infiniti M30/nissan lepoard that runs a 1981 280zx turbo inline six instead of the stock v6 and it gives a few extra channels of data acquisition in addition to the tons of data available from the ecu.

It shows up in a separate box divided into six segments since two are automatically for wideband information.

« Last Edit: April 26, 2014, 10:10:02 AM by icepac »

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #154 on: April 26, 2014, 01:04:37 PM »
The A&W in our location closed down at the end of 2011.  It was the longest running cruise in the area on Friday nights.  We had the super nats

here at the canfield fairgrounds.  The A&W was our hangout and anyone else who attended the super nats.  The A&W was demolished and a car parts

national chain took its place.  Many pieces of memorabilia were sold at auction at that A&W. To us older car guys a part of History was destroyed.

We still see the owner of the A&W.  He's a great guy.  All he wanted to do was retire.  That A&W will be a part of us old Coots for ever.

Probably hard for some to understand why we feel that way.  I guess it would be hard to explain.  There was a lot of rubber laid on the road

in front of that A&W.  I dunno....A&Ws seemed to be hangouts for us car guys.   They drew great crowds and great cars.

You are right.  Most people do not understand it.

I hate seeing this part of Americana die.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #155 on: April 26, 2014, 06:55:44 PM »
You are right.  Most people do not understand it.

I hate seeing this part of Americana die.

A&W is still doing ok up here in Canukville,every Sunday from May till Sept. they still have drive and shines at the local A&W here! :aok   The wife and I go often for a small rootbeer and a quick look at the cars.

:salute

Offline Hajo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #156 on: April 26, 2014, 11:20:37 PM »

A&W is still doing ok up here in Canukville,every Sunday from May till Sept. they still have drive and shines at the local A&W here! :aok   The wife and I go often for a small rootbeer and a quick look at the cars.

:salute

Their Root Beer Floats were killer!  The closest A&W to us in the Youngstown area is in Ravenna.  Bout an hour away.
- The Flying Circus -

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #157 on: April 27, 2014, 02:48:13 PM »
I both miss and don't miss the big V8s of my childhood but I still hoard a merlin II 9.4 liter big block that lurks in a friend's basement waiting for the day and am contemplating getting a 6 liter LS engine/auto transmission deal since a friend is getting them for around 1500 bucks with engine management harness intact.

Yes, those are 255s front and back since the 295s won't fit on the wagons because of the skirted rear wheel arches.

Since work is slowing down on record attempts and customer vehicles, I am now also full time as a toyota technician.

(Image removed from quote.)

We used 8 channels of manometer data (sampled at various parts of the body and engine intakes) and 4 channels of ride height (AIM evo4 with smartycam)  and a few channels of speed, G loading, and gps speed vs wheel speed on the GT in addition to the datalogging capabilities of the Big stuff 3 engine management system.

The ride height data was especially important in setting up the car's suspension and aero for speeds up to 300mph and the information allowed us to be the only ford GT running standing mile races that lacks the front splitter and the drag it brings.

There is a device called the IO8 and a newer one with more channels which you can plug into a laptop to give you sweet data from anything from throttle position sensor to thermocouple sensing.

I use it with nistune on my Infiniti M30/nissan lepoard that runs a 1981 280zx turbo inline six instead of the stock v6 and it gives a few extra channels of data acquisition in addition to the tons of data available from the ecu.

It shows up in a separate box divided into six segments since two are automatically for wideband information.

i've always liked that body style, along with the 4door sedan of the same era. there's a guy buying a car from one of my customers that's driving one. i might see if i can get it for a couple hundred off of him. that could be a fun project car
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #158 on: April 27, 2014, 03:31:40 PM »
nice MOPARs.....

I was lucky enough to sit in and start a 440 super commando Mint numbers matching...70 Superbird.....
wanna talk about a say what moment........ :O  the guy who owned the Superbird...sold it...to get a 71 Hemi cuda.....clone.....was a 318 car....why.....why....why.... ..I mean ya the 71 Cuda is a sick car and my personal favorite....but a clone for a numbers matching Superbird..... :headscratch:

what a sound that 440 had....I also have a buddy that owned a 440 74 cuda that I did drive...was sick....owning my Challenger was extremely fun.... wish I had known what they would be worth down the road.......
the 340 in my challenger had the same sound,as the big blocks... just not quite as "throaty".

Offline skorpx1

• Silver Member
« Reply #159 on: May 07, 2014, 08:42:35 PM »

We used 8 channels of manometer data (sampled at various parts of the body and engine intakes) and 4 channels of ride height (AIM evo4 with smartycam)  and a few channels of speed, G loading, and gps speed vs wheel speed on the GT in addition to the datalogging capabilities of the Big stuff 3 engine management system.

Saw that and instantly thought of this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qcRbviyMPcU

(Some NSFW language is possible in the vid.)