Author Topic: What "We" Really Want  (Read 7771 times)

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
Re: What "We" Really Want
« Reply #75 on: May 08, 2014, 04:36:22 AM »

:lol What a maroon. Absolutely no depth of knowledge or vision.

Terrible synopsis.

It's exactly like the Virtuix Omni. I mean exactly! It will be in museums and arcades, but anyone that wastes actual coin on these things will shelf them quickly. The reason is obvious to anyone with intelligence above squirrel level. First, you will develop the spilled drink syndrome from Airplane while wearing this thing. Second, where's the keyboard? Third, your picture will (will) appear on Facebook for all your friends (past friends) to poke fun at. Fourth, after you wear it for just a very short period of time it will be disgusting and after your friends 'try it out' it will be even more disgusting.

But if you believe in it yourself:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1944625487/omni-move-naturally-in-your-favorite-game
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #76 on: May 08, 2014, 04:12:00 PM »
Terrible synopsis.

It's exactly like the Virtuix Omni. I mean exactly! It will be in museums and arcades, but anyone that wastes actual coin on these things will shelf them quickly. The reason is obvious to anyone with intelligence above squirrel level. First, you will develop the spilled drink syndrome from Airplane while wearing this thing. Second, where's the keyboard? Third, your picture will (will) appear on Facebook for all your friends (past friends) to poke fun at. Fourth, after you wear it for just a very short period of time it will be disgusting and after your friends 'try it out' it will be even more disgusting.

But if you believe in it yourself:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1944625487/omni-move-naturally-in-your-favorite-game

When I did the development for the rift with AH the, where did the key board go, issue told me it is not ready for prime time for most applications and would be pretty much useless in ah.

The resolution was such that you could not even read any text.

HiTech

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #77 on: May 08, 2014, 04:19:44 PM »
When I did the development for the rift with AH the, where did the key board go, issue told me it is not ready for prime time for most applications and would be pretty much useless in ah.

HiTech

You were also using the first generation OR, the 2nd generation is much more improved with better screen resolution. 

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline danny76

• Gold Member
« Reply #78 on: May 09, 2014, 03:28:04 AM »
I am astonished that VR has taken as long as it has to get nowhere :headscratch:

How often and over how many years has this been attempted? Lawnmower Man was over 20 years ago! :headscratch:

Is this simply a case of lack of funding or is there some fundamental issue with it's use?
"You kill 'em all, I'll eat the BATCO!"
The GFC

"Not within a thousand years will man ever fly" - Wilbur Wright

Offline Mister Fork

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #79 on: May 09, 2014, 09:27:44 AM »

HiTech

Ok - let me debunk your keyboard worry hitech - a really good HOTAS setup will deflect any concern - however I do suspect that I'll be drilling small holes in the bottom of the rift so I can glance at my keyboard now and then.

If I can't read text either - then no, it's not ready for prime time.  For it to work, it HAS to be 1080p quality good a dot pitch to read text...otherwise it's nothing but eye candy and completely useless for any RPG, FPS, or simulators of all kinds. 

I'm waiting to see what they come up with - now with Facebook funding, I'm hoping they can ramp up their quality with $$$.

Still a game changer if they can get it right!
"Games are meant to be fun and fair but fighting a war is neither." - HiTech

Offline hyzer

• Copper Member
« Reply #80 on: May 09, 2014, 12:00:59 PM »
Build in a look down camera into the headset.   :aok
We have clearance, Clarence. Roger, Roger. What's our vector, Victor?

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #81 on: May 09, 2014, 03:24:35 PM »

If I can't read text either - then no, it's not ready for prime time.  For it to work, it HAS to be 1080p quality good a dot pitch to read text...otherwise it's nothing but eye candy and completely useless for any RPG, FPS, or simulators of all kinds. 

1st it is not a worry, like I said, I already wrote the drivers for it and have spent a fair amount of time using it. Do you drink anything while you play? Do you ever type a message? It really needs some type of system to see out side the hood.

The issue is to have 1920 x 1080 the screen must bee MORE then 3840 x 1080 because less then  1/2 the screen goes to each eye.

I will say the movement sensors were superb.

HiTech

Offline Fish42

• AvA Staff Member
  • Silver Member
« Reply #82 on: May 09, 2014, 03:51:00 PM »
I am astonished that VR has taken as long as it has to get nowhere :headscratch:

How often and over how many years has this been attempted? Lawnmower Man was over 20 years ago! :headscratch:

Is this simply a case of lack of funding or is there some fundamental issue with it's use?

Funding really. Its because of all the Smartphones tech that has been developed in the last few years that has made small HD LED screens cheap and the other tech small enough to fit into a head mounted unit that does not weigh a ton and can display a image that can be usable. Also the fact it was kickstarted showed that people were willing to support it. It would have been a costly risk to make a VR headset without that kind of feedback and most companies would simply prefer not to risk it.

Now with Facebook providing funding and Sony working on their own VR, it looks like 1-3 years from now there should be 2 decent choices on the market for VR (if sony allows the VR unit to be used on PC).

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #83 on: May 09, 2014, 04:22:26 PM »
I can't believe they won't have some kind of view window on the final version you can flip open or somesuch to see down and not spill your beverage/find your smokes.  The keyboard I could live with not seeing.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #84 on: May 09, 2014, 04:31:03 PM »
My OR should arrive around the 2nd week of August.   :D

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #85 on: May 10, 2014, 01:47:25 PM »

HiTech

That the consumer version has not yet been produced I believe indicates that the Occulus guys agree that it is not ready for prime time.

http://vr.mkeblx.net/oculus-sim/

If they are able to boost the resolution, things may change.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2014, 01:49:05 PM by Karnak »
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-