Author Topic: Avia B-135 (AH needs a Bulgarian plane set)  (Read 3908 times)

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
Avia B-135 (AH needs a Bulgarian plane set)
« on: April 20, 2014, 05:54:36 PM »

The Avia B.135 (RLM designation Av-135) was a Czechoslovak cantilever monoplane fighter aircraft. It was the production version of the Avia B.35 developed shortly before the war, based on the B.35/3 prototype but featuring a new all-metal wing.

The B.135/1 prototype attracted the attention of Bulgarian Air Force officers visiting the Avia plant, and a production contract for 12 aircraft and 62 engines was signed, as well as a license to allow an additional 50 airframes to be constructed by DAR as the DAR 11 Lyastovitsa (Bulgarian: "Лястовица"; "Swallow"). However, the DAR facilities proved to be incapable of producing the aircraft, and only the 12 Czech-built examples were ever made. Plans for further production were stopped by the RLM, which also interrupted engine deliveries after 35 units, and the Bulgarian Air Force was encouraged to purchase the Messerschmitt Bf 109 instead.

In service, the B.135s gave continual engine problems and were soon relegated to training roles. Four aircraft did, however, see combat on 30 March 1944 when they intercepted USAAF bomber formations encroaching on Bulgarian airspace after attacking Ploieşti. Some (Bulgarian) sources credit Lieutenant Yordan Ferdinandov with a B-24 Liberator kill that morning. According to Bílý all four Avias, led by Captain Atanasov, took part in the possible shooting down of a 4-engined bomber that day.[1] The downed aircraft crashed in the area of Tran and Breznik according to the log of Lieutenant Yordan Ferdinandov.

General characteristics

Crew: 1    Propellers: 2-bladed wooden fixed pitch propeller
    Length: 8.5 m (27 ft 11 in)    Propellers: 2-bladed wooden fixed pitch propeller
    Wingspan: 10.85 m (35 ft 7 in)    Propellers: 2-bladed wooden fixed pitch propeller
    Height: 1.6 m (5 ft 3 in)    Propellers: 2-bladed wooden fixed pitch propeller
    Wing area: 17 m2 (180 sq ft)    Propellers: 2-bladed wooden fixed pitch propeller
    Empty weight: 2,063 kg (4,548 lb)    Propellers: 2-bladed wooden fixed pitch propeller
    Max takeoff weight: 2,547 kg (5,615 lb)    Propellers: 2-bladed wooden fixed pitch propeller
    Powerplant: 1 × Avia (Hispano-Suiza) 12Ycrs V-12 liquid-cooled piston engine, 641 kW (860 hp)
    Propellers: 2-bladed wooden fixed pitch propeller

Performance

Maximum speed: 535 km/h (332 mph; 289 kn) at 4,000 m (13,000 ft)
    Cruising speed: 460 km/h (286 mph; 248 kn)
    Range: 550 km (342 mi; 297 nmi)
    Service ceiling: 8,500 m (27,887 ft)
    Rate of climb: 13.5 m/s (2,660 ft/min)

Armament

Guns:
    1 × 20 mm (0.79 in) MG FF cannon
    2 × 7.92 mm (0.312 in) Mk. 30 (Česká zbrojovka Strakonice) machine guns

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
Re: Avia B-135 (AH needs a Bulgarian plane set)
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2014, 08:07:46 PM »
 :aok More country's represented the better.

Offline Megalodon

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2014, 08:09:29 PM »
:aok More country's represented the better.

Absolutely!

+1
Okay..Add 2 Country's at once, Australia and France next plane update Add ...CAC Boomerang and the Dewoitine D.520

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2014, 08:19:45 PM »
The fixed pitch prop would introduce some interesting challenges in using it.  332mph is remarkably fast for a two bladed, fixed pitch propeller.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline SmokinLoon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2014, 08:22:05 PM »
I agree.  It would be great to have the B-135, right along with the French D520, Romanian IAR80, and Aussie Boomerang.

IAR80 = 350 or so were built.

D530 = 900 estimated (French were sloppy with production #'s)

Boomerang = 250-ish

B135 = a dozen.  Maybe.  

So..... as we all can see the relevance of each aircraft at least in production numbers can be seen.  The lowly B135 probably ranks rather low in its imprint within WWII.  However, I still think it would be great to add it right along side the other "minor" representatives.   :aok  The Italian plane set could use a few models as well.   ;)
Proud grandson of the late Lt. Col. Darrell M. "Bud" Gray, USAF (ret.), B24D pilot, 5th BG/72nd BS. 28 combat missions within the "slot", PTO.

Offline Megalodon

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2014, 11:01:13 PM »

The Italian plane set could use a few models as well.   ;)
Close enough :)

The Hungarian built

MÁVAG Héja II ...........201 built

« Last Edit: April 20, 2014, 11:32:32 PM by Megalodon »
Okay..Add 2 Country's at once, Australia and France next plane update Add ...CAC Boomerang and the Dewoitine D.520

Offline Tank-Ace

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2014, 11:06:07 PM »
I would love to see the IAR 80. Primary Romanian fighter of the war, in use from from February 1941 right up to the end of the war.
You started this thread and it was obviously about your want and desire in spite of your use of 'we' and Google.

"Once more unto the breach"

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2014, 11:10:00 PM »
The fixed pitch prop would introduce some interesting challenges in using it.

I think I like that about it particularly. Aircraft with individual quirks make for a much more interesting plane set.

I for one would be all for removing trim from aircraft that didn't have it IRL (IIRC, the 190s lacked rudder trim, so if you're flying a 190 you can only trim ailerons and elevators, and so on). It seems like such a minor thing, but if it's something you're used to relying on? That could make a tremendous difference.
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline Megalodon

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2014, 11:18:45 PM »
The Yugoslavian built

Rogožarski IK-3....12 made

Ikarus IK-3

The Rogožarski IK-3, a low wing monoplane single seat interceptor fighter with retractable landing gear, was a product of the design team of Ljubomir Ilić and Kosta Sivčev as a follow on to their IK-1/IK-2 fighter. Joined by Ing. Zrnić, they initiated the design in 1936 under strict secrecy, wind tunnel testing was done in France, before submitting the design to the Yugoslav Air Ministry. Construction of the IK-3 was assigned to Rogožarski A. D. in Belgrade and the prototype flew for the first time in the spring of 1938.
    Artist vision of encouter between IK-3 and Me
    Artist vision of encouter between IK-3 and Me

The IK-3 was powered by a Hispano-Suiza 12Y-29 liquid-cooled inline engine that was rated at 890 hp for take-off and at 920 hp at 11,810 feet altitude. The prototype was armed with one 20 mm Hispano-Suiza HS-404 cannon and two 7.92 mm FN-Browning machine guns mounted over the engine in the fuselage. The aircraft was of mixed steel tube, wood, and fabric construction with the retractable landing gear of Messier design. Its construction was similar to Hawker Hurricane.
    Pilots of 51st fighter group in Zemun airport 1940,behind pilots is IK3 fighter.
    Pilots of 51st fighter group in Zemun airport 1940,behind pilots is IK3 fighter.

Six test pilots flew the prototype in a very successful test program before it was lost. On January 19, 1939 the test pilot, Captain Pokorni, after a series of acrobatic maneuvers entered a terminal velocity dive from which he did not recover. After an investigation the aircraft was found not at fault and the Air Ministry ordered an initial lot of twelve aircraft.

The production IK-3 was refined with a number of changes including modifications to the sliding cockpit canopy, addition of a bullet proof windshield, and installation of the Avia H.S. 12Ycrs inline engine, a Czech built version of the Hispano-Suiza installed in the prototype. The first IK-3s were delivered in the summer of 1940 to an experimental fighter squadron whose pilots preferred it to the Messerschmitt Bf 109E-3 and the Hawker Hurricane, as the IK-3 was more maneuverable and could make tighter turns. Additionally, the aircraft was found to be very maintainable.

With the success of the IK-3, planning began for licensing manufacture in Turkey as well as increased production by Rogožarski. But before the second lot of IK-3 could be started German forces invaded Yugoslavia.

As production of the IK-3 proceeded the design team was working on improved versions of the IK-3 and other designs. Among the IK-3 improvements in work was installation of a more powerful engine. Engines that were considered to various extents were an upgraded 1,100 hp Hispano-Suiza 12Y-51, the Daimler-Benz DB-601A, and the 1,030 HP Rolls-Royce Merlin III engines. Also, Rogožarski was pursuing a new fighter design, the IK-5, that was to be powered by two Hispano-Suiza 12Y engines. Two versions of the design were planned, a single seat interceptor and a two seat long range “destroyer” with heavy nose mounted armament. Models of the IK-5 had been tested in wind tunnels and construction of a prototype begun when the German invasion ended this and all other efforts.

At the beginning of the April war, only 6 out of 12 IK-3 from the first production series were operational. One aircraft was lost in an air accident before the war, four were in workshop on scheduled services and repairs and one aircraft was undergoing modification to Series II IK-3 standard in Rogozarski airplane factory. Six remaining IK-3s were allocated to 161st and 162nd fighter squadron (3 IK-3 each) of the 51st Fighter group. 51st fighter group was part of the 6th fighter regiment of Royal Yugoslav Air Force which was tasked to defend Yugoslav capital, Belgrade. Both fighter squadrons were stationed at Zemun airport.

Operators

* Kingdom of Yugoslavia

General characteristics

* Crew: one, pilot
    * Length: 27 ft 5 in (8.38 m)
    * Wingspan: 33 ft 10 in (10.33 m)
    * Height: 10 ft 8 in (3.23 m)
    * Wing area: 179 ft˛ (16.6 m˛)
    * Empty: 4,123 lb (1874 kg)
    * Loaded: 5,291 lb (2405 kg)
    * Maximum takeoff: lb (kg)
    * Powerplant: 1× Avia-built Hispano-Suiza 12Ycrs twelve cylinder Vee liquid-cooled engine, 920 shp (686 kW) each

Performance

* Maximum speed: 327 mph at 17,715 ft (526 km/h at 5401 m)
    * Range: 310 miles (496 km)
    * Service ceiling: 26,250 ft (8,003 m)
    * Rate of climb: ft/min (m/min)
    * Wing loading: 29 lb/ft˛ (113 kg/m˛)
    * Power/mass: 0.17 hp/lb (0.29 kW/kg)

Armament

* 1× 20 mm Hispano-Suiza HS-404 cannon
    * 2× 7.92 mm FN-Browning machine guns
« Last Edit: April 20, 2014, 11:25:51 PM by Megalodon »

Offline Megalodon

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2014, 11:42:43 PM »
French built

The Caudron 714 ........100 made

or The Caudron 710

« Last Edit: April 21, 2014, 12:17:35 AM by Megalodon »

Offline Tank-Ace

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2014, 01:36:36 AM »
I think I like that about it particularly. Aircraft with individual quirks make for a much more interesting plane set.

I for one would be all for removing trim from aircraft that didn't have it IRL (IIRC, the 190s lacked rudder trim, so if you're flying a 190 you can only trim ailerons and elevators, and so on). It seems like such a minor thing, but if it's something you're used to relying on? That could make a tremendous difference.

I honestly didn't even know we could adjust rudder trim in the 190. I've always just assumed that HTC knew it didn't need the trim tab on the rudder, and that I was just experiencing the 190's natural lateral stability  :lol.
You started this thread and it was obviously about your want and desire in spite of your use of 'we' and Google.

"Once more unto the breach"

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2014, 07:49:07 AM »
I honestly didn't even know we could adjust rudder trim in the 190. I've always just assumed that HTC knew it didn't need the trim tab on the rudder, and that I was just experiencing the 190's natural lateral stability  :lol.

I don't fly the 190s often (pretty much only when I was still flying FSO) but AFAIK, all aircraft have all three axes as trimmable.
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member

Offline Megalodon

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2014, 08:30:37 AM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X9QIEreNWw0

Thanx Lyric that was cool.

Those were Heja I's <re:2000>made in Hungary under license....  the Heja II's frame, engine and guns are different and were completely made in Hungary. The engine bay was 27 in  longer. The easiest way to tell the difference is the top of engine cowling.

Heja I

Heja II

:cheers:
 :salute

Offline MK-84

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2014, 08:38:51 PM »
I would love to see the IAR 80. Primary Romanian fighter of the war, in use from from February 1941 right up to the end of the war.

Me too. and +1 to the B-135