Author Topic: GV vs AC fun  (Read 2699 times)

Offline Tank-Ace

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
Re: GV vs AC fun
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2014, 06:54:07 PM »
Yes, hitting from above is better, but I wouldn't call it exceptionally easy against moving targets. And, as I said, it's absolutely historically inaccurate. Like dive bombing in a lancaster. In the Il-2 I don't bother shooting the sides unless it's a panzer, I always go for the rear. It's given me the best results.

I haven't been able to find a single example of a lone Il-2 killing even one actual tank with guns alone, yet alone multiple tanks.

I believe that the majority of players who main gun AC do it from the commander position, as it makes the job easier for a lot of people, specially tracking the target.[/quote[ You would be incorrect. This has been happening for as long as idiots have been using stupid attack profiles. It is in no way a new thing with the commander position.

Using a very low level approach and shooting under 200 yards, just with guns? I'm sorry but I doubt you'll kill much GVs using that approach in a mustang.

It didn't happen in Il-2's either, from what I can find. And the .50's are capable of penetrating the rear armor of a Panzer. Theoretically, its possible.
You started this thread and it was obviously about your want and desire in spite of your use of 'we' and Google.

"Once more unto the breach"

Offline lunatic1

• Gold Member
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2014, 10:41:28 PM »
You said you kill GVs like I said...so I guessed you did it the way I mentioned, not by dive-bombing. My bad. Still doesn't make the P-51D a tank buster.
:furious well what the heck is your idea of a tank buster
C.O. of the 173rd Guardian Angels---Don't fire until you can see the whites of their eyes...Major devereux(The Battle Of Wake Island-1941.
R.I.P.49GRIN/GRIN-R.I.P. WWHISKEY R.I.P WIZZY R.I.P.

Offline Butcher

• Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2014, 10:48:21 PM »
Tank busting only works for the HurriD and StukaG, otherwise the low and slow approach of IL-2s and HS-129 simply will be shot down by tank cannons all day long.

I'd rather stick to flying an A-20 and dive bombing, although its far more fun to annoy tankers by flying an Il-2 around, when they track you - simply let the country men know and they can sneak up on the tanks, turret turns away - blast them.

Can be rewarding either way.
JG 52

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2014, 03:42:08 AM »
Tank busting only works for the HurriD and StukaG, otherwise the low and slow approach of IL-2s (...) simply will be shot down by tank cannons all day long.

:headscratch:

The Il-2 kills more tanks than both the Hurri D and the Ju-87G combined...
Why would you think the il-2 has to use the low&slow approach while the 87G does not?
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Online lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2014, 04:20:56 AM »
4. Lack of F3 view on Il-2 .
They can only be used on tankbusting and little else, so why shouldn't they have it?

When the F3 mode was taken away I was not that thrilled it made hunting GV's harder & very hard to dogfight in them. I cant hit squat in F3 mode bombing or shooting. With practice & time I have become somewhat proficient in this aircraft & enjoy flying it now without F3 mode. Now trying to see enemy aircraft without an actual tail gunner in that tub of armour now that is another matter. :aok

Hence why the single seat version would help the pilot less armour plate blocking his views.

http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,321945.0.html

Offline Rich46yo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2014, 04:42:49 AM »
Also, you are hitting the wrong parts of the tank if it takes you several passes to knock out anything in the Il-2, exception being the Tiger and King Tiger with toughness factors for the T-34's.  The most ideal for me is from ABOVE and BEHIND.

Well I went back several years and you have hardly killed anything with an IL2. My guess is like most everyone else when they took F3 away you stopped flying it.

When the F3 mode was taken away I was not that thrilled it made hunting GV's harder & very hard to dogfight in them. I cant hit squat in F3 mode bombing or shooting. With practice & time I have become somewhat proficient in this aircraft & enjoy flying it now without F3 mode. Now trying to see enemy aircraft without an actual tail gunner in that tub of armour now that is another matter. Thumbs UP!

Hence why the single seat version would help the pilot less armour plate blocking his views.

Im not getting into this again but its a laugh to think F3 was taken away due to the IL2 being so good at "dog fighting" in F3. :lol The game has turned into a GV game and it hasnt help its overall health.
"flying the aircraft of the Red Star"

Online lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2014, 04:49:37 AM »

Im not getting into this again but its a laugh to think F3 was taken away due to the IL2 being so good at "dog fighting" in F3. :lol The game has turned into a GV game and it hasnt help its overall health.

F3 mode was removed due to a select few on the BBS crying about losing 262's to GHI in overshoots that he pulled off in F3 mode. Take GV's away from the game now & watch it end in short order.

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2014, 05:00:37 AM »
The game has turned into a GV game and it hasnt help its overall health.

One would expect the majority of players being in GV in a "GV game", and not in planes...

Offline kvuo75

• Gold Member
« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2014, 08:57:08 AM »
. My guess is like most everyone else when they took F3 away you stopped flying it.

for me, it wasn't the removal of F3, it was the reduction of icon range.

kvuo75

Kill the manned ack.

Offline Xavier

• Copper Member
« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2014, 09:54:39 AM »
:furious well what the heck is your idea of a tank buster

A plane designed to bust tanks. Ju-87G2, Il-2, Hurricane MKIID. The P-51D is not a tank buster.

As I keep flying tank busters I see complaining on 200 about planes "ruining GV fights". I will never understand this mindset in a game centered on aviation. In a tank you can turn from the commander position to face an attacker in every pass, while also shooting him with turret and MG. Oh, and the plane won't see you until he's 1K out. If you still get killed by airplanes while enjoying those advantages, well, I'd strongly suggest other games like WoT. Air-to-ground action is expected in Aces High II, but it's being hindered more and more with every new version.

And remember that the wirbel and osti are unperked and extremely effective  :old:
Started from the bottom...still at the bottom.

Offline ONTOS

• Silver Member
« Reply #25 on: April 29, 2014, 10:07:03 AM »
I would like to see tank rounds go through  a tree leaf at least without exploding. :aok

Offline Xavier

• Copper Member
« Reply #26 on: April 29, 2014, 10:20:03 AM »
I would like to add another point:

Let tank busters take off from GV bases. In small maps it's not a lot of trouble flying from a base to the nearest GV base, but in the big maps it's quite a hassle to fly for 15 minutes at ground level just to be maingunned in your first pass.

Offline danny76

• Gold Member
« Reply #27 on: April 29, 2014, 10:20:42 AM »
I would like to see tank rounds go through  a tree leaf at least without exploding. :aok

Some can apparently manage it, usually you they combine it with being parked 1/2 mile from the spawn :bhead
"You kill 'em all, I'll eat the BATCO!"
The GFC

"Not within a thousand years will man ever fly" - Wilbur Wright

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 29, 2014, 10:21:06 AM »
but in the big maps it's quite a hassle to fly for 15 minutes at ground level just to be maingunned in your first pass.

Work on your attack profile.

Offline Xavier

• Copper Member
« Reply #29 on: April 29, 2014, 10:31:35 AM »

Work on your attack profile.

Not easy when the tank just keeps turning to face you in every pass, tracking you from the commander position. Getting maingunned is just a matter of time, the Ju-87G2 isn't the quickest of rides.