Author Topic: GV vs AC fun  (Read 2728 times)

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
Re: GV vs AC fun
« Reply #45 on: April 29, 2014, 11:01:07 PM »
I would like to know who lost a 262 to an IL-2 which would of started this rumor, so I can ask just how he lost a 262 to an Il-2 if it wasn't a Ho shot.

Sounds like a really good story that probably got twisted 15 times but never the less, funny.

This is the thread that started it.

http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,302259.0.html

Offline danny76

• Gold Member
« Reply #46 on: April 30, 2014, 01:27:11 AM »
All I know is that back when I tanked on a regular basis, I couldn't reliably hit a tank at anything beyond point blank range from the commanders view. The idea that some are consistently tracking an aircraft going 250mph at 600yds from the commander position is frankly just laughable, sir.

And yet it's reasonable to believe they are able to track the same aircraft from the sight? :confused:
"You kill 'em all, I'll eat the BATCO!"
The GFC

"Not within a thousand years will man ever fly" - Wilbur Wright

Offline kvuo75

• Gold Member
« Reply #47 on: April 30, 2014, 01:46:05 AM »
my best anti aircraft from T34/85 was 18 kills I think mostly B25's. well before the commander view existed.

*whenever that might have been

kvuo75

Kill the manned ack.

Offline Tank-Ace

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #48 on: April 30, 2014, 11:53:13 AM »
And yet it's reasonable to believe they are able to track the same aircraft from the sight? :confused:

Let me rephrase, I spoke poorly. Its unreasonable to believe they are accurately aiming from the commanders position. Commanders position is most likely used for simple tracking of the target, while the gunner position is used for firing.
You started this thread and it was obviously about your want and desire in spite of your use of 'we' and Google.

"Once more unto the breach"

Offline danny76

• Gold Member
« Reply #49 on: April 30, 2014, 11:57:31 AM »
I killed a Stuka today from the main gun, not before he turreted me, must have just got the round off as he fired, I was in the commander position  :old:
The GFC

Offline Tank-Ace

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #50 on: April 30, 2014, 01:00:19 PM »
I killed a Stuka today from the main gun, not before he turreted me, must have just got the round off as he fired, I was in the commander position  :old:

Two questions. How close was he, and can you reliably repeat the process? Because that is what is at issue here.

Its not at all unrealistic to fire from the commanders position, since all you have to do is tell the gunner to fire. Its not at all unrealistic to rough aim from the commanders position, since you can tell the gunner to slew the turret left and right, and elevate or depress the gun.

Hell, Erwin hit my storch with the M3 75mm GMC from about 3k out according to him "half aimed". I guarantee the odds of that shot happening again exceed 1,000,000:1, but that doesn't mean it didn't happen, or will never happen again. I've done the same thing before myself, although it was on a B-17.
You started this thread and it was obviously about your want and desire in spite of your use of 'we' and Google.

"Once more unto the breach"

Offline Tinkles

• Silver Member
« Reply #51 on: April 30, 2014, 01:59:39 PM »
Two questions. How close was he, and can you reliably repeat the process? Because that is what is at issue here.

Its not at all unrealistic to fire from the commanders position, since all you have to do is tell the gunner to fire. Its not at all unrealistic to rough aim from the commanders position, since you can tell the gunner to slew the turret left and right, and elevate or depress the gun.

Hell, Erwin hit my storch with the M3 75mm GMC from about 3k out according to him "half aimed". I guarantee the odds of that shot happening again exceed 1,000,000:1, but that doesn't mean it didn't happen, or will never happen again. I've done the same thing before myself, although it was on a B-17.

I once hit an il2 that was 800-1000 ft in the air, 4k away going full speed in my m4. He was at my 9 0 clock, never been able to do that again  :lol  I wonder if I have the film.
If we have something to show we will & do post shots, if we have nothing new to show we don't.
HiTech
Adapt , Improvise, Overcome. ~ HiTech
Be a man and shoot me in the back ~ Morfiend

Offline Butcher

• Platinum Member
« Reply #52 on: April 30, 2014, 04:04:38 PM »
I once climbed a hill on an angle with an M4, while a Jug at 10k tried to dive straight down on me, when he was around 3k I fired and blew him up.

Can't remember if it was Tull or Hooter that was there that day, but there is a reason I always tanked on hills - for one its a hull down position and two, if idiots want to bomb me, I simply back down the hill so my barrel can elevate higher.

Unfortunately I've never been lucky as that, partially due to the P-47 trying to dive straight down helped me.
JG 52

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #53 on: April 30, 2014, 05:22:04 PM »
With the NS-37 set to 650, I have snap shot everything from 262 to Storch 800-1000. Mostly luck, but you need to know the drop and estimate your 100mph radiis correctly. Otherwise even the Storch fly's through the dispersion field.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline danny76

• Gold Member
« Reply #54 on: May 01, 2014, 07:21:58 AM »

He was close, 2-400m off flying directly down the barrel, that is not an unrealistic shot, tankers tracking fast moving aircraft and hitting them from a kilometre or more is simply unrealistic, although not impossible.The simple fact that as with every other aspect of the game in comparison with real life, we get to practice each move ad infinitum if we so choose :old:
The GFC

Offline Aspen

• Nickel Member
« Reply #55 on: May 02, 2014, 04:53:29 PM »
Every main gun kill on plane I have had I did from the sight.  Only crossing shots were slow storches.  Everything else was coming basically straight at or away from me.  Its gamey for sure, but upping a formation of B-17s and dropping multiple tons of bombs from 1000' to kill one or two GVs probably wasn't that common in WWII either. :D

AMAX  in game

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #56 on: May 02, 2014, 05:07:47 PM »
The very first kill I had on a plane in a tank was many years ago on the old AK Pizza map when I used my main gun looking through the sights and shot down VOSS' IL2 coming straight the barrel of my gun. 

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Butcher

• Platinum Member
« Reply #57 on: May 03, 2014, 12:28:22 PM »
I think that shooting planes from the commander view is a myth. I am fairly sure most players shoot from the sight. People were dying from the main gun long before the commanders position

Thats funny I used nothing but the commanders View to shoot down aircrafts. Granted it takes far more skill to learn to use, but it can be accomplished and once you learn the ballistic drop - you can pick a plane out a good 2-3k away without a problem.
JG 52

Offline ARSNishi

• Copper Member
« Reply #58 on: May 03, 2014, 02:59:01 PM »
I think that shooting planes from the commander view is a myth. I am fairly sure most players shoot from the sight. People were dying from the main gun long before the commanders position
^^^ this...  Every time I've main gunned an aircraft it's been from the sight.  With the fact that you only get 1 shot per run on your tank, it's imperative to make that shot count.   Personally don't think it's wise to potentially waste that one shot from the commanders position. 

:salute Nishizawa

Fighter Ace vet lured to the dark side, a.k.a..  -AoM-  Fear the Mighty Mitsubishi Mounted Muppet!

Nishizwa in game, Nish or Nishi will work too

Offline USCH

• Silver Member
« Reply #59 on: May 03, 2014, 04:36:45 PM »
2 things, Xavier, you come in way to low of an attack, I've watched you all day today at TT. and as for mainguning, I've killed so many aircraft from the gunsight I've long since stopped counting, i think anyone who was around before the command position probably does it this way, we have been doing it since we have had GV's in the game I'm guessing. now with that said, i think it sucks. its unrealistic and way to damned easy to do. and if aircraft cant see AA, why does AA see the aircraft with a big red neon sign?