Author Topic: P-63 King cobra & the French.  (Read 6576 times)

Offline bozon

• Platinum Member
Re: P-63 King cobra & the French.
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2014, 05:54:07 AM »
French had the guillotine in use in the Far East way past WWII. And the Brits for example had concentration camps in Kenia way after WWII.
Both empires collapsed in the wake of WWII. Both did some unpleasant (to put it mildly) things in an attempt to keep their empires together.
Reminds me of a story an old professor of mine told. He grew up in France before WWII and was taught in school that the Mediterranean runs through the middle of France line the Seine runs through the middle of Paris :)
Mosquito VI - twice the spitfire, four times the ENY.

Click!>> "So, you want to fly the wooden wonder" - <<click!
the almost incomplete and not entirely inaccurate guide to the AH Mosquito.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGOWswdzGQs

Offline Rich46yo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2014, 02:59:39 PM »
I'd like to find some material on any ATA engagements with the P-63. Can anyone point me in the right direction? TY.
"flying the aircraft of the Red Star"

Offline Squire

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2014, 04:13:01 PM »
Despite the topic being rehashed every so often there is still no reliable info on the P-63 ever engaging in air combat either in WW2 or afterwards. The Red Air Force had the P-63 on strength late in the war but there is still no evidence that they flew it in combat in the ETO. The reason is fairy simple. The Luftwaffe was all but done by the Spring of 1945 and the vast bulk of the VVS was being used for ground attack. It simply wasn't worth the time to reequip the P-39 units with the P-63 so the Fighter Regiments kept flying the late model P-39s until the surrender. In the East there is a smattering of info about maybe the P-63 flying some ground attack missions against the Japanese before VJ Day but I have seen nothing definitive.

Warloc
Friday Squad Ops CM Team
1841 Squadron Fleet Air Arm
Aces High since Tour 24

Offline Rich46yo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2014, 12:16:32 PM »
Thanks for taking the time to reply. I kinda knew the answer but I was hoping there might have been something I missed, most of all in the east. Seeing the example on display at LackLand AFB last year renewed my interest in the aircraft.

Offline BuckShot

• Silver Member
« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2014, 02:24:56 PM »
It saw ground attack combat. Isn't combat the only req?
Game handle: HellBuck

Offline Butcher

• Platinum Member
« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2014, 06:41:54 AM »
Despite the topic being rehashed every so often there is still no reliable info on the P-63 ever engaging in air combat either in WW2 or afterwards. The Red Air Force had the P-63 on strength late in the war but there is still no evidence that they flew it in combat in the ETO. The reason is fairy simple. The Luftwaffe was all but done by the Spring of 1945 and the vast bulk of the VVS was being used for ground attack. It simply wasn't worth the time to reequip the P-39 units with the P-63 so the Fighter Regiments kept flying the late model P-39s until the surrender. In the East there is a smattering of info about maybe the P-63 flying some ground attack missions against the Japanese before VJ Day but I have seen nothing definitive.

I posted this a long time ago, ill post it again. The Soviet squadrons did not keep logs as the Luftwaffe or Americans did, unfortunately I have found nothing to confirm anything.
JG 52

Offline save

• Gold Member
« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2014, 07:22:17 AM »
What is more important is that the russians had the Yak3P  during that time period, much better engine and 3 guns ( very much like the LA-7)
My ammo last for 6 Lancasters, or one Yak3.
"And the Yak 3 ,aka the "flying Yamato"..."
-Caldera

Offline Wmaker

• Platinum Member
      • Lentolaivue 34 website
« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2014, 10:28:13 AM »
What is more important is that the russians had the Yak3P  during that time period, much better engine and 3 guns ( very much like the LA-7)

Soviets didn't have Yak-3P operational during WWII or in any other wars for that matter.
Wmaker
Lentolaivue 34

Thank you for the Brewster HTC!

Offline save

• Gold Member
« Reply #23 on: May 06, 2014, 10:52:58 AM »
Soviets didn't have Yak-3P operational during WWII or in any other wars for that matter.

according to Erik Pilawskii Yak3p saw action in Manchuria:

quote "The final VK-105-engined variant was the fearsome Yak-3P (pushechniy, or cannon), armed with three of the new 20mm B-20 lightweight cannons, each with 130 rounds of ammunition.
Unfortunately, the type just missed the end of hostilities in Europe, though two squadrons were operational against the Japanese from 8 August. These were untouchable and the Yak-3P was said, when attacking, to cut even modern and protected Japanese aircraft (such as the Ki-84 and Ki-61) in half like a buzz saw".
My ammo last for 6 Lancasters, or one Yak3.
"And the Yak 3 ,aka the "flying Yamato"..."
-Caldera

Offline Wmaker

• Platinum Member
      • Lentolaivue 34 website
« Reply #24 on: May 06, 2014, 11:26:48 AM »
according to Erik Pilawskii Yak3p saw action in Manchuria:

quote "The final VK-105-engined variant was the fearsome Yak-3P (pushechniy, or cannon), armed with three of the new 20mm B-20 lightweight cannons, each with 130 rounds of ammunition.
Unfortunately, the type just missed the end of hostilities in Europe, though two squadrons were operational against the Japanese from 8 August. These were untouchable and the Yak-3P was said, when attacking, to cut even modern and protected Japanese aircraft (such as the Ki-84 and Ki-61) in half like a buzz saw".

I see no mention of action by Yefim Gordon & Dmitri Khazanov who are considered the leading authorities on Soviet aviation. From what publication is that quote from...does it perhaps mention which exact units supposedly received Yak-3Ps?
Wmaker
Lentolaivue 34

Offline Wmaker

• Platinum Member
      • Lentolaivue 34 website
« Reply #25 on: May 06, 2014, 12:19:58 PM »
From what publication is that quote from...does it perhaps mention which exact units supposedly received Yak-3Ps?

Ok, I found the book (Soviet Air Force Fighter Colours 1941-45) I read a couple things that raised an eye brow (The way Pilawski described Yak-3U's maneuverability for example). Would be interesting to know if he has some primary sources about the action in Manchuria. I must say I severely doubt it.
Wmaker
Lentolaivue 34

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #26 on: May 06, 2014, 12:25:25 PM »
This is the Soviet Order of Battle during the Manchurian invasion.

Sovet Air Forces "Autumn Storm" Air Order of Battle

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Butcher

• Platinum Member
« Reply #27 on: May 06, 2014, 09:47:26 PM »
This is the Soviet Order of Battle during the Manchurian invasion.

Sovet Air Forces "Autumn Storm" Air Order of Battle

ack-ack

No doubt to me the P-63A seen combat with the Russians, I have no problem seeing it added as a Russian perk plane.
JG 52

Offline Rich46yo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #28 on: May 07, 2014, 04:25:19 AM »
No doubt to me the P-63A seen combat with the Russians, I have no problem seeing it added as a Russian perk plane.

Why would it deserve a perk price?

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #29 on: May 07, 2014, 12:30:52 PM »

I don't think there is a doubt the P-63 saw combat in the Far East doing ground attack missions, there is just doubt as to whether or not it engaged in A2A combat.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song