Author Topic: Newbe  (Read 2687 times)

Offline Raven3

• Copper Member
Re: Newbe
« Reply #45 on: May 05, 2014, 04:41:29 PM »
You can move your head position in the cockpit in real time but it's slow. You can improve all the default head positions with the arrow keys and page up/down. When you have the best view press F10 to set the head position. The home key restores the default view. Keypad 8 is an alternate front view that can have different settings from your primary front view.

TrackIR uses head tracking to move your view around. The tracking is accelerated so you can see behind you while still looking at your monitor.
It requires you to purchase the hardware. Some people don't like it but most that have it won't give it up as long as we still use monitors.

If you use hat views be sure to set a handy button to "up" so you can modify your hat views as well as look straight up along your lift vector.

FLS you have been so very helpful.  The info you have provide is just what I need.  Salute to you sir!
Fortitudo et Decus

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #46 on: May 05, 2014, 04:51:53 PM »
You're very welcome.

When you have more questions or want to schedule training just post here.  :salute

Offline Raven3

• Copper Member
« Reply #47 on: May 05, 2014, 05:25:12 PM »
You're very welcome.

When you have more questions or want to schedule training just post here.  :salute

I sure will. We seem to able to communicate well . That's needed between an IP and student. I have had a few students over the years that they and I simply could not comunnicate well. Puts a lot of unneccessary  stress in the cockpit.
Fortitudo et Decus

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #48 on: May 05, 2014, 05:35:24 PM »
oh FLS is all nice and helpful.... until he gets you in his sights!  :devil

Welcome aboard Raven. The Help and Support forum he is going to be you "hang out place" for the next few weeks. But don't worry, it's a great place to hang out, lots of good people.

Ask away, we can take it  :)

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #49 on: May 05, 2014, 05:41:06 PM »
I sure will. We seem to able to communicate well . That's needed between an IP and student. I have had a few students over the years that they and I simply could not comunnicate well. Puts a lot of unneccessary  stress in the cockpit.

Fixed or rotary?  

Offline WEZEL

• Silver Member
« Reply #50 on: May 05, 2014, 06:45:22 PM »
Welcome to the madness  :joystick: Two thing to remember

1. never under any circumstances tune to Chanel 200, nothing good will come from it.

2.  most important Never trust a weasel  :devil 

Naaaaa just kidding, well maybe rule 1 should be on a post it on your screen....... seriously. Most of the guys here will help in anyway they can, if you ever fly Knights send me a message and I will help ya if I can.

Offline Raven3

• Copper Member
« Reply #51 on: May 05, 2014, 06:48:28 PM »
Fixed or rotary?  

Both actually. I have a fair amount of time in the OV-1 Mohawk which no one probably remembers. However most of my time is rotary wing. C Model Hueys with the 540 rotor system (semi ridged) and later AH-1G's (Cobras) both what they call Attack Helecopters. v
 Assualt. Plus a decent amount of civilian time (mostly low and slow)

You sound very knowledgeable.  BTW I Am typing this on a tablet so forgive the typos.
Fortitudo et Decus

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #52 on: May 05, 2014, 07:33:54 PM »
We have a few pro's here but I'm not one of them.  I just read the manual.  ;)

I had to look up the Mohawk. Why 3 tails?

Have you tried our Fiesler Storch?

Offline JimmyD3

• Gold Member
« Reply #53 on: May 05, 2014, 07:50:45 PM »
Ah yes the Mohawks, watched them flying out of Elmendorf AFB alot back in the 70's. Cool plane.
Kenai77
CO Sic Puppies MWK
USAF 1971-76

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #54 on: May 05, 2014, 08:19:58 PM »
Basic game info.

The stall horn comes on before CLmax.

The stall buffet starts when any part of a wing stalls. I assume that just prior to the buffet is CLmax.

Your best sustained turn is likely at 2.8 - 3g with the stall horn on just prior to buffet. Actual best turn will likely vary a bit but this is quick and close.

You black out at 6g. You can ride tunnel vision but as soon as you black out ease your pull.

High speed buffet precedes control loss. Reduce power and you can usually trim out if the stick isn't responding.

Storch prop is fixed pitch. There is a flight preference setting "WW1 Engine Governor" that prevents overspeed but limits power.

You must loop the Dr1 and Camel.  :D
« Last Edit: May 05, 2014, 08:34:03 PM by FLS »

Offline CeeEff

• Zinc Member
« Reply #55 on: May 06, 2014, 06:03:09 AM »
Welcome. This game is a lot like golf. It takes some time and effort to get proficient. Once you do, it becomes addictive. Best advise, try to maintain a thick skin and seek advise from a good mentor. If you see me online, I'll help you as much as I can.

LilMak

Welcome to your new addiction.
I am personal proof that one does NOT have to be proficient to become addicted.   :airplane:
One who only enters into engagements that they can win is destined to mediocrity.
I will fight anybody but mediocrity is still a distant dream.
In game ID: Lazur

Offline Raven3

• Copper Member
« Reply #56 on: May 06, 2014, 07:35:59 AM »
We have a few pro's here but I'm not one of them.  I just read the manual.  ;)

I had to look up the Mohawk. Why 3 tails?

Have you tried our Fiesler Storch?

Well understand it's been almost 40 yrs, but IIRC it was initially designed for the Army and Marines and carrier ops.  The Army wanted a STOL aircraft and that in turn dictated some pretty powerful turboprops. So to counter the torque three vertical stabilizers were required. In fact, I remember being told that if it had only one vertical stabilizer it would have had to have been around 10-12' tall.

No, had to look up Fiesler Storch
« Last Edit: May 06, 2014, 07:44:45 AM by Raven3 »
Fortitudo et Decus

Offline ozrocker

• Gold Member
« Reply #57 on: May 06, 2014, 04:49:55 PM »
 :salute and Welcome :joystick: :airplane:

:cheers: Oz
Flying and dying since Tour 29
The world is grown so bad. That wrens make prey where eagles dare not perch.- Shakespeare

30% Disabled Vet  US ARMY- 11C2H 2/32 AR. 3rd AD, 3/67AR. 2nd AD, 2/64 AR. 3rd ID, ABGD Command TRADOC, 1/16th INF. 1st ID

Offline Tr1gg22

• Silver Member
« Reply #58 on: May 07, 2014, 07:10:54 PM »
welcome
"CO" of the Wobblin Gobblins...