Author Topic: Kindergarten Lessons  (Read 20715 times)

Offline DaddieDrax

• Zinc Member
Re: Kindergarten Lessons
« Reply #210 on: May 09, 2014, 10:30:48 PM »
...And it continues.  Thank you for your generous offer to pay for my subscription for 3 months, but I will decline.

Offline Gman

• Gold Member
« Reply #211 on: May 09, 2014, 10:59:25 PM »
Standards of conduct are established by businesses all the time.  Our grocery store doesn't let vegetarians form picket lines in the meat department.  Bars have bouncers for a reason.  Protests are legal on public property in the USA, not private property such as this bbs.  If the dollar drove all business policy then businesses would always be defined by the lowest common denominator of conduct.  Its a rediculous argument: "I'm free to act anyway I want because I've paid $15.  I bought a coke so now I can picket the meat department."

Hey Shores.

I would answer your example with one of my own:  Regarding the bouncer analogy, this is my opinion (I also did that job through school at the biggest rock bar in my country, over 1500 capacity).  A customer yelling at the band from his table or the crowd "you suck!", while he's sitting there buying drinks for 4 people yet doing nothing else other than occasionally yelling his displeasure at the band - should I go over and crack him the head, and toss him and the other 4 people in his party out, while they're still pouring money into the business, and causing no damage whatsoever, even if other customers sometimes look over and take note of his stupid yelling?  No. I leave him be.  If he gets up and chucks a beer bottle at somebody's head, starts a fight, pulls a weapon - anything that actually will have a negative impact on the business - one that outweighs his financial contributions or puts the company or other customers in actual danger - well, obviously he's going out the door.  I equate the first part, the yelling, to the complaining on the bbs.  I equate the second, the violent destructive action, to something like actively making cheats or trying to hack the bbs, something along those lines.  

I guess our disagreement lies with the interpretation of what is, and what isn't cause for punishment, in terms of the standards of conduct as you said.  Punishment by HTC over posts in the form of suspensions and PNG's, regardless of what the person has said, often ends up with an angry customer.  Skuzzy has said so here before - the inevitable angry pm, email, followed by angry phone call, and then threat of cancellation.  It's regular like clockwork.  And I'll bet it's graph over the years at HTC shows it's a fairly constant thing.  We see suspensions and PNG's now weekly, sometimes daily.  All these years, yet the same thing is happening, over and over, on the bbs.  Doing the same thing repeatedly and expecting a different result, but not getting one - this defines insanity.  Does anyone here think that the complaints, suspensions, and PNG's will someday just stop, and all will be well?  Even with a new version coming out, which IMO usually quells dissent, is only a temporary thing, and soon enough the complaints will start once the newness wears off.

I respect your position and the way you put it, either way Shores.  Be well.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2014, 11:21:34 PM by Gman »

Offline Swoop

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #212 on: May 09, 2014, 11:40:44 PM »
Hmmmm......now, if I were a bar owner and 1499 people were trying to enjoy the band I'd paid good money for and some loud mouthed pillock could be heard shouting abuse, I'd politely ask him to STFU.  Then if he didn't I'd politely ask him to leave.  Then I'd politely call him an ambulance shortly after muttering to a bouncer "seekum".

Just disagreeing with your analogy though.

« Last Edit: May 09, 2014, 11:59:36 PM by Swoop »

Offline TonyJoey

• Silver Member
« Reply #213 on: May 10, 2014, 12:01:08 AM »
A better analogy with the BBS might be the guy is heckling from the bathroom.

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #214 on: May 10, 2014, 12:33:28 AM »
I'll only speak from personal experience.

There have been several times over the years I've nearly cancelled my account over BB's incidents with other players.  In the end after cooling off I decided to stay.

I got banned from the BB's once several years ago (deservedly) but that was the beginning of the end of the game for me.  While I've never cancelled my account I took a long break and never got back to playing regularly again, and over time since then my play time has continued to diminish.

Both sides; the player base and the management can cause people to leave.

What I saw recently on the BB's was the Internet equivalent of mob rules mentality.  If the mob didn't expect the authorities to step in to restore peace and order they were severley mistaken.  Some who were belittled by the mob will inevitably leave the game as will some of the mob who felt their right to protest was violated.

As a paying customer, if I went into a local store and started chasing away their other customers I'd be thrown out.  Just because I'm a paying customer doesn't give me a right to ruin their business.  If you don't believe this go try it.

I find it hardest to understand why people can't just be at least civil to one another.  I blame it on their parents for not teaching them the basics of societal interaction, regardless of their current age.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline TheForce

• Zinc Member
« Reply #215 on: May 10, 2014, 01:02:39 AM »
What I saw recently on the BB's was the Internet equivalent of mob rules mentality.  If the mob didn't expect the authorities to step in to restore peace and order they were severley mistaken.  Some who were belittled by the mob will inevitably leave the game as will some of the mob who felt their right to protest was violated.

Who was belittled by "the mob"?  :huh

You are completely making up campfire stories. Can you post a quote?

Offline kappa

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
« Reply #216 on: May 10, 2014, 01:09:50 AM »
I'll only speak from personal experience.

There have been several times over the years I've nearly cancelled my account over BB's incidents with other players.  In the end after cooling off I decided to stay.

I got banned from the BB's once several years ago (deservedly) but that was the beginning of the end of the game for me.  While I've never cancelled my account I took a long break and never got back to playing regularly again, and over time since then my play time has continued to diminish.

Both sides; the player base and the management can cause people to leave.

What I saw recently on the BB's was the Internet equivalent of mob rules mentality.  If the mob didn't expect the authorities to step in to restore peace and order they were severley mistaken.  Some who were belittled by the mob will inevitably leave the game as will some of the mob who felt their right to protest was violated.

As a paying customer, if I went into a local store and started chasing away their other customers I'd be thrown out.  Just because I'm a paying customer doesn't give me a right to ruin their business.  If you don't believe this go try it.

I find it hardest to understand why people can't just be at least civil to one another.  I blame it on their parents for not teaching them the basics of societal interaction, regardless of their current age.

I see this theme over and over about resent bbs problems.. Everyone credits the happenings of late to folk not being 'civil' or 'mob ruled' post... The facts just don't support these claims.. This is in fact NOT why people were recently banned/PNG'd.  

edit:  opps.. I think I just unknowingly made a mob post...
- TWBYDHAS

Offline skorpx1

• Silver Member
« Reply #217 on: May 10, 2014, 01:24:59 AM »
The fact that this thread was made to make the rules clearer than they already are, and yet people still found a way to get whacked with a rule violation (In this very thread) shows just how far we've come as a community.

Way to go guys, you're really reaching.

(26 edited posts by Skuzzy/HiTech in this thread alone.)
« Last Edit: May 10, 2014, 01:27:10 AM by skorpx1 »

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #218 on: May 10, 2014, 01:31:12 AM »
People have different standards as we've seen in this thread. I'm sure that all of us usually behave correctly by our own standards.  We all know the other guy is wrong.   :D

Agreement is unlikely.  

It's Hitech's game.   :aok

Offline 68Raptor

• Gold Member
      • 68th Lightning Lancers
« Reply #219 on: May 10, 2014, 01:56:56 AM »
And the trouble with that common argument put forward by many, is the people you are referring to don't actually think, or act, as though their subscription contribution entitles them to make policy.  The argument is IMO how they should be treated when they act out,  if they should be heard, and not punished for words and actions regarding that.  Some critical posts, a few avatars and signatures - how exactly is that "calling the shots".  It's a campaign for change, not a gun to the head demanding changes based on being one of thousands of others.  Again, IMO every customer is a commodity, and even if kid gloves are required when dealing with the troublesome ones, actually removing them from a critical part of your business over bbs trivium, and risking losing them, is something I just don't understand.

Respectfully I have to disagree.

They were handled with kid gloves. As HTC as stated. As is the meaning of kid gloves as you are putting it here to mean.. they were asked nicely to discontinue what the HTC said was the offending behavior. When they did not comply, the gloves came off. That is the point of wearing kid gloves first right? To let the kid know you are being nice but that there is, in fact a big ole meaty hand simply wrapped up in that nice soft glove.  

Unless you are using the term kid gloves to imply there is not solid structure behind the soft exterior of the glove. Point being.. if your going to treat someone with compassion or caring you are still trying to influence their behavior to get the result you are looking for. If they are unwilling to to change their behavior then, at some point, the gloves come off. Correct?

As you stated in your post here

Regarding the bouncer analogy, this is my opinion (I also did that job through school at the biggest rock bar in my country, over 1500 capacity).  A customer yelling at the band from his table or the crowd "you suck!", while he's sitting there buying drinks for 4 people yet doing nothing else other than occasionally yelling his displeasure at the band - should I go over and crack him the head, and toss him and the other 4 people in his party out, while they're still pouring money into the business, and causing no damage whatsoever, even if other customers sometimes look over and take note of his stupid yelling?  No. I leave him be.

You would not do anything to the guy yelling until he did x,y or z. (X,y or z being whatever you (as the venue representative) had predetermined to be the point at which to take the gloves off. As you stated here
If he gets up and chucks a beer bottle at somebody's head, starts a fight, pulls a weapon - anything that actually will have a negative impact on the business - one that outweighs his financial contributions or puts the company or other customers in actual danger - well, obviously he's going out the door.

Once he did x,y or z you then, had to intervene without the gloves on. That's not something you wanted to do but it was something you had to do.

Here is the kicker to the problem - Chances are, the guy you treated without gloves on did not agree with you and thought those behaviors should be allowed. He either thought those actions should be acceptable or did them knowing full well that there would be consequences for his actions. (This sounds oddly like the title of the thread)

Here is where I think the disconnect is between HTCs actions and what some think. As you said

I equate the first part, the yelling, to the complaining on the bbs.

While you (in this case, a customer in the venue) equate the first part, the yelling, to the complaining on the bbs does not mean that HTC does.

I equate the second, the violent destructive action, to something like actively making cheats or trying to hack the bbs, something along those lines.  

It's a BBS in this case and not a venue where folks can actually throw bottles, pull knifes or what not. Obviously, HTC does see some actions on the BBS as things that can, that actually will have a negative impact on the business - ones that outweighs a players financial contributions.

If a player can't do as HTC has asked or they even escalate the situation on the BBS or in game,  then they are forced to do something they do not want to do. Show that person the door. They have stated they do not like doing it. Just the same as you did not like having to do it in your job as a bouncer.

It's another case of what some equate as acceptable behavior from their point of view as the customer not translating to the owners view of what is acceptable behavior.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2014, 01:58:27 AM by 68Raptor »
Executive Officer
68th Lighting Lancers

Offline Copprhed

• Silver Member
« Reply #220 on: May 10, 2014, 02:17:24 AM »
See rule 4
« Last Edit: May 10, 2014, 07:51:17 AM by hitech »
Flight Leader: "Bogeys at 2 o'clock!"
Wingman: "Roger, It's 1:30 now, what do I do 'til then?"

Offline JimmyC

• Platinum Member
« Reply #221 on: May 10, 2014, 02:26:09 AM »
I think this sums it up...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBJ3B8iqHp8

move along chaps <S>
CO 71 "Eagle" Squadron RAF
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy."

Offline TonyJoey

• Silver Member
« Reply #222 on: May 10, 2014, 07:35:23 AM »
« Last Edit: May 10, 2014, 07:54:11 AM by hitech »

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #223 on: May 10, 2014, 09:30:16 AM »
The opposing view to this is that the customer IS the company and playground.  No customer, no playground, and then no company.  Every single customer is part of the playground, and every customer's opinion matters, even if it's contrary to what the company thinks.  

Expressing that opinion, through words, avatars, whatever - what damage does that actually do to the company. I would love to see proof of one new player coming here, reading something such as this current flap, and then saying "no way I'm trying this game, there's dissent on the bbs!".  Balance the incredibly slim likelihood of that ever happening against crossing swords with numerous regular long time players - I just don't see how it adds up.

Star Citizen is a good example - their bbs is like World War 3 compared to here.  They brought in this little sum of money, I believe it was around 20 million dollars, for a game that doesn't even EXIST yet- 500$ of which is from me.  The insanity of their bbs didn't hold me back for an instant - nor did it for the others who put in the other 19,999,500 dollars.  

Edit - All of this should at the very least give you some good ammunition for a few decent cartoons Fugi.  I early am awaiting some good laughs, so please bring it.

Your defining the incident from only one side. "By the owner pushing away subscriptions he is losing money". The other side is if he didn't do anything how many people would have left on their own? Whether you believe those hit were right or wrong is irrelevant, the owner see's it as a problem and has acted to solve it. Whether you agree with the owners solution or not is again irrelevant, it IS his playground/company. Like Hitechs analogy, you would certainly be asked to leave if you were walking up and down the rows of a restaurant holding up a sign about an issue with that restaurant. To use your analogy of the bouncer, If I was in that bar with 10 of my friends.....I think I could get 10 together.... and we were annoyed with said big mouth that YOU let mouth off to the band and left you saved the bar drink from 4 but lost drinks from 11.... good job!

You asked for "proof" how what happens on the BBS effects subscriptions to the game.  DaddieDrax provided that proof for you. Whether you think he is basing his decision on relevant facts or not is again irrelevant. It is the only interaction with the game he has right now.... as many other people ..... and it is what he must base his choice off of. You and I know there is so much more in the game that has nothing to do with the BBS, but it IS the front row view of the game along with the web page. Are you going to pay 3 months subscriptions for everyone so that they can get a real idea of what goes on in the game? If not, HTC should be all over these boards making it as customer friendly as possible to help entice as many people to try the game as they can.

Some people kept "poking the bear" in his own yard and now they are surprised/pissed that the bear slapped back. I guess some people are just slow learners.

As for a cartoon..... how would you put all this into a cartoon???  :eek:   

Offline Max

• Platinum Member
« Reply #224 on: May 10, 2014, 09:36:35 AM »

:rofl