Author Topic: Earthquake warning issued for Oklahoma  (Read 635 times)

Offline ghi

• Gold Member
Earthquake warning issued for Oklahoma
« on: May 06, 2014, 07:08:09 AM »
"Mile for mile, there are almost as many earthquakes rattling Oklahoma as California this year. This major increase in seismic shaking led to a rare earthquake warning today (May 5) from the U.S. Geological Survey and the Oklahoma Geological Survey."
 more here;
http://www.livescience.com/45361-oklahoma-earthquake-risk-rising.html

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2621183/Is-Oklahoma-new-California-Rare-earthquake-warning-issued-state-50-percent-rise-major-ground-shocks-just-six-months.html

Tornadoes and Earthquakes, what a combo! :pray
« Last Edit: May 06, 2014, 07:19:46 AM by ghi »

Offline puller

• Gold Member
Re: Earthquake warning issued for Oklahoma
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2014, 08:34:13 AM »
I always told people out on the west coast that at least we can hide from tornadoes...but you can't hide from earthquakes  :eek:   when we had that big earthquake in '11 the family and I were highly freaked out...there is nothing good about being in a trailer during an earthquake that is sitting 4 to 6 concrete blocks high that is only restrained to keep it from getting blown away  :lol  Like I said you can hide from tornadoes but you cant get away from earthquakes...oh and they are calling for severe weather Thursday  :rock
"The road to Hell is paved with good intentions."
CO   Anti-Horde

Offline wpeters

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2014, 09:43:45 AM »
"Mile for mile, there are almost as many earthquakes rattling Oklahoma as California this year. This major increase in seismic shaking led to a rare earthquake warning today (May 5) from the U.S. Geological Survey and the Oklahoma Geological Survey."
 more here;
http://www.livescience.com/45361-oklahoma-earthquake-risk-rising.html

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2621183/Is-Oklahoma-new-California-Rare-earthquake-warning-issued-state-50-percent-rise-major-ground-shocks-just-six-months.html

Tornadoes and Earthquakes, what a combo! :pray
Thanks for the heads up.  I live here in the sooner state
LtCondor
          The Damned
Fighter pilots are either high, or in the process of getting high.🙊
The difference between Dweebs and non dweebs... Dweebs have kills

Offline smoe

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2014, 09:56:34 AM »
I always told people out on the west coast that at least we can hide from tornadoes...but you can't hide from earthquakes  :eek:   when we had that big earthquake in '11 the family and I were highly freaked out...there is nothing good about being in a trailer during an earthquake that is sitting 4 to 6 concrete blocks high that is only restrained to keep it from getting blown away  :lol  Like I said you can hide from tornadoes but you cant get away from earthquakes...oh and they are calling for severe weather Thursday  :rock

I would think a trailer would be a safer place to be in during an earthquake. If a house collapses I think most people inside would be crushed. A trailer can collapse, but I would expect it to roll on its side in most cases. However, I do know that cars do bounce up-and-down a few feet during earthquakes and since trailers have suspension systems and jack supports, I suppose trailers could break apart and collapse as well.

Offline MrGeezer

• Nickel Member
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2014, 04:13:35 PM »
I live on a mountainside midway between New Madrid Fault and the Quakes in OK.

We have lots of little quakes here, no big deal really.  I do worry that if new Madrid does go into full rip mode Memphis may not make it and it will domino effect into the OK fissures.
Killing Virtual Bad Guys Since 1995  Disabled, retired.

"Posting anything, which says anything positive about anyone, on our board, will always turn into a derogatory mess. It should be a forum posting rule."  Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline Wolfala

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2014, 05:00:39 PM »
Wonder is fracking is related to the upsurge.

the best cure for "wife ack" is to deploy chaff:    $...$$....$....$$$.....$ .....$$$.....$ ....$$

Offline Shamus

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2014, 09:19:44 PM »
Wonder is fracking is related to the upsurge.

Seems like it might be from the reports from all over the country but it might be a good thing by reliving the stress's in numerous little ones.

shamus
one of the cats

FSO Jagdgeschwader 11

Offline Hajo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2014, 10:21:27 PM »
We had two earthquakes here in 2012.  Unusual to say the least they were local and registered 4.5.

The pressure injection of the water was stopped (fracking) and the earthquakes have stopped.

Geological survey said the waste water was injected into fault lines and lubricated them and caused them to move.

Yes....Fracking can cause earthquakes.  It was proven here.
- The Flying Circus -

Offline Changeup

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Das Muppets
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2014, 11:22:44 PM »
Not proven.  It's the disposal wells, not the frac wells.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2014, 11:26:59 PM by Changeup »
"Such is the nature of war.  By protecting others, you save yourself."

"Those who are skilled in combat do not become angered.  Those who are skilled at winning do not become afraid.  Thus, the wise win before the fight, while the ignorant fight to win." - Morihei Ueshiba

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2014, 12:17:21 AM »
it isnt an earthwake till you are 50 feet up in the air in a crane and you have at least a 5.6.  trust me you wont have to go to the bathroom when you go down.

we had a guy who was walking off the same crane, first time it was raining and the lighting strike 100 feet from him took off the mill's power plant.  5 weeks later the transformers failed as he was walking down the same stairs and blew up.  he mentioned he wont have to go to the bathroom in at least a year  :eek:.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline zack1234

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2014, 05:30:26 AM »
We had a earthquake once in the UK, I was asleep and never noticed it :old:

There was crap all over the floor in my house, I was single at the time and thought I need to tidy up a bit :rofl

Why would you live in a earthquake zone anyway?

There are no pies stored in this plane overnight

The GFC
Pipz lived in the Wilderness near Ontario

Offline Slate

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2014, 08:52:34 AM »
    That wasn't an earthquake at Zack's flat it was a robbery. They left after finding nothing. There are many ways this planet can kill us.  :bolt:

Had a small earthquake on the East coast USA. People in cars never felt it. I was standing near the brick wall where I worked and thought a car had hit it.  :headscratch:
« Last Edit: May 07, 2014, 08:54:31 AM by Slate »
I always wanted to fight an impossible battle against incredible odds.

Offline MiloMorai

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2014, 11:11:35 AM »
Earthquakes, Magnitude 3.5 and Greater, 1974 - 2003

Offline puller

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2014, 11:51:10 AM »
I read a report from the Oklahoma Geological Survey that said the amount of pressure that a wastewater disposal well creates is slim to none compared to the pressures that are needed to build up to create an earthquake.  But in the same report they said that they could not rule out that wastewater injection wells and fracking are not the cause of some quakes.
"The road to Hell is paved with good intentions."
CO   Anti-Horde

Offline Changeup

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Das Muppets
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2014, 11:56:39 AM »
I read a report from the Oklahoma Geological Survey that said the amount of pressure that a wastewater disposal well creates is slim to none compared to the pressures that are needed to build up to create an earthquake.  But in the same report they said that they could not rule out that wastewater injection wells and fracking are not the cause of some quakes.

You need look no further than Google.  The studies are published
"Such is the nature of war.  By protecting others, you save yourself."

"Those who are skilled in combat do not become angered.  Those who are skilled at winning do not become afraid.  Thus, the wise win before the fight, while the ignorant fight to win." - Morihei Ueshiba