Author Topic: F-35  (Read 14842 times)

Offline GScholz

• Plutonium Member
Re: F-35
« Reply #45 on: May 09, 2014, 09:50:25 AM »
Kill ratio of American Fighter vs Russian designs through the Israeli conflicts and gulf Wars is...well...undefeated.

Not quite, but close.
"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

Offline GScholz

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #46 on: May 09, 2014, 09:52:20 AM »
Oh and Sprey is a complete nitwit who hates everything except the F-16.
"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

Offline Gman

• Gold Member
« Reply #47 on: May 09, 2014, 09:53:58 AM »
I agree with Gsholz.  Everything I've read hear is wrong compared to what good friends of mine have told me.  People who actually fly fighters for a living.  One of my best friends growing up is now a 2500 hour Hornet pilot, has graduated from Empire test pilot school, flown the F18, F15E, F16B, the Grippen, as well as a few hours in the Typhoon while at Empire in the UK.  He's also flown against the F22, SU27, SU30MKI, and many others in exercises all over the world.  I've met other pilots as well, one of whom was a test pilot for the Typhoon, and is now a test pilot on the F35.  He has over 4000 hours, much of it in fighters, and a lot of it in combat.  Maj. Jason "Fudge" Paquin who I went to school with will be Canada's F35 test pilot, should we end up buying it.

I won't comment on the F35 stuff said here, but the stuff about the Aim120 vs the Flanker variants is right out to lunch from what I've been told firsthand and everything I've read.  Ask the pilots who have fired the Aim120 what its PK is - they didn't start calling it the deathstick for no reason.

The Aim120 reaches high velocity in seconds, where as a Flanker variant fighter will usually be under mach 1, and even if it was to "turn away" when it first detects a launch - well, figure on at least 6 or 7 seconds at max G to turn 180 degrees, which will burn a ton of speed, then pushing into burner to accelerate, which even to get to Mach 1.5 ish, which would be pushing it for a Flanker with fuel and weapons stores aboard, will take minutes, not seconds.  All the while the Aim120 has been closing at near Mach 4 (or higher, it's classified) speeds.  Do the math, the no escape zone is what it is for the Aim120, no flippidy do maneuver will change that.  Countermeasures - who knows, most of that stuff is classified.  I've sent Gsholz a pic I have from when such countermeasures saved a number of us from my former company when shot at by a Manpads system - whatever the US uses on their helos works. Who knows if what the Russians have on their Flankers and other aircraft will work vs the Aim120.  But countermeasures aside, a nose on shot from any missile is pretty bad news from ranges 15nm and closer in terms of being able to escape it through flight maneuvers only.  Also, remember that the new Aim120D variant is coming online now, and it has 50% more range than the already extended range Aim120C.  The new Amraam will be even more lethal than what's currently out there, which is plenty lethal enough now.

Eagl and Mace often show up in these threads - I'll be interested to hear their responses to some of the things said here, not about the F35, as I can link what both have said about it, and I agree with them, but the stuff about the Amraam - survey says..."EEEEEH".

Even comparing the F35 vs the Flanker - it was never designed to be an air superiority fighter to take on Flanker variants.  That's not its job, even though with the still unknown to the public capabilities it may have, it will certainly be able to defend itself in many circumstances.  Also, comments about the payload and range etc of the F35 - Gcholz, back me up here with some of the links/etc you've posted before, but from what I've been told and read, the F35 has greater payload and range than the F16 block 52, and when it is combat loaded the same as the F16, it can outperform it in many flight categories and regimes.  So, if the F35 is "junk", what does that make the F16?  The guys I've talked to who fly the F16 would tell you take anything you like, and I'll whip you in it.  

Copied from another thread:

You see, in the real world the F-35A has better instantaneous and sustained turn rates than an F-16 carrying a war load. A clean F-16 in "air show mode" has a maximum sustained turn rate of 18 degrees per second. The F-35A carrying an A2A war load and full fuel has a sustained turn rate of 17 degrees per second. The F-35 has better acceleration and top speed than the F-16 carrying a war load, and that's with the F-35 carrying 3.5 times more internal fuel than the F-16. The F-16 is actually structurally limited to 4G's if carrying external fuel or bombs.

As for payload the F-35A can carry a total of 18,000 lbs on four internal and six external hardpoints. The F-16 can carry up to 17,000 lbs on nine external hardpoints.

IMO sensor and weapon performance and tech make the capability of a fighter to win a close range gun fight less and less important.  The F35 vs a Flanker variant in a gun fight - probably not the best scenario for the F35, but the whole point is avoiding ever getting into such a thing, and let your sensors and weapons do the fighting and turning for you as much as possible now.  This just seems the way things are going in terms of capabilities, but don't get me wrong, having an F22 which can do it all, stealth, maneuver, sensors - I believe that is a better way to go, and I still wish the USAF and USA had allowed other allied nations to purchase IT instead of the F35.  Countries like mine (Canada) with huge massive airspace to patrol would be far, far better served by the F22 than the F35 which we're stuck with buying.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2014, 10:23:04 AM by Gman »

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #48 on: May 09, 2014, 10:19:51 AM »
The opinions voiced against the F-35 and AMRAAM in this thread are completely ridiculous. Listen to the people in the know, like Beau here. Treat the rest like the ignorant tin foil hat conspiracy theorists they are.

I get my info from people I know.   Friends.  Colleagues.  Experts.  Several of the guys I know were fighter weapons instructors.  F-22, F-16, F-15, and F-18.   A few worked in the Pentagon as well so the insight into the puzzle palace is mind boggling.

Danny, in a foot race a Flanker cannot outrun a missile.  But it can defeat it.  Countermeasures, forcing overshoots, running it out of gas.

F-22 flies very high.  It is shooting downhill.  JSF flies very low.  It is shooting uphill.  The Flanker will shoot downhill and there will be a lot more of them to boot.   

The JSF was designed around requirements that changed dramatically during development.  It was supposed to fly in behind a wave of Raptors.   It is now being sold as a super jet that can fight its way in and out all by itself.  

IT DOES NOT HAVE THE STEALTH, CEILING, RANGE, OR FIREPOWER, NOT TO MENTION AGILITY, to win future conflicts.  It simply is not the answer to a Pacific pivot.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2014, 10:34:41 AM by Vraciu »
”KILLER V”
Charter Member of the P-51 Mustang Skin Mafia
King of the Hill Champ, Tour 219
The Damned
King of the Hill Win Percentage - 100 (1 Win, 0 Losses)

Offline Rich46yo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #49 on: May 09, 2014, 10:33:19 AM »
Those made experts by Carlo Kopp keep popping up in these F35 threads. I think they pretty much cut and paste from Air Power Australia.

A small % of it might actually make sense were it backed up by someone who has actually flown military fighters. Kopp himself has all of an hour or two in the back seat of an F18 trainer to back up his expertise. The guy even said the Aussies would be better off buying Russian fighters. :rofl They can join Algeria, Angola, China, India, Indonesia, Malaysia, Uganda, Venezualia, and Vietnam in flying the new Russian super fighter.
"flying the aircraft of the Red Star"

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #50 on: May 09, 2014, 10:35:44 AM »
Those made experts by Carlo Kopp keep popping up in these F35 threads. I think they pretty much cut and paste from Air Power Australia.

A small % of it might actually make sense were it backed up by someone who has actually flown military fighters. Kopp himself has all of an hour or two in the back seat of an F18 trainer to back up his expertise. The guy even said the Aussies would be better off buying Russian fighters. :rofl They can join Algeria, Angola, China, India, Indonesia, Malaysia, Uganda, Venezualia, and Vietnam in flying the new Russian super fighter.

I was once a JSF cheerleader myself.

I got set straight by the guys who will have to take it into combat.
”KILLER V”
The Damned

Offline danny76

• Gold Member
« Reply #51 on: May 09, 2014, 11:44:19 AM »

I get my info from people I know.   Friends.  Colleagues.  Experts.  Several of the guys I know were fighter weapons instructors.  F-22, F-16, F-15, and F-18.   A few worked in the Pentagon as well so the insight into the puzzle palace is mind boggling.

Danny, in a foot race a Flanker cannot outrun a missile.  But it can defeat it.  Countermeasures, forcing overshoots, running it out of gas.

F-22 flies very high.  It is shooting downhill.  JSF flies very low.  It is shooting uphill.  The Flanker will shoot downhill and there will be a lot more of them to boot.   

The JSF was designed around requirements that changed dramatically during development.  It was supposed to fly in behind a wave of Raptors.   It is now being sold as a super jet that can fight its way in and out all by itself.  

IT DOES NOT HAVE THE STEALTH, CEILING, RANGE, OR FIREPOWER, NOT TO MENTION AGILITY, to win future conflicts.  It simply is not the answer to a Pacific pivot.

Forgive me for being pedantic, but all this I know, what I was questioning was your statement that a Flanker could extend from the AMRAAM, which it quite obviously cannot.

Sure it can use countermeasures and other defensive tactics but one of them would not be outrunning the weapon
"You kill 'em all, I'll eat the BATCO!"
The GFC

"Not within a thousand years will man ever fly" - Wilbur Wright

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #52 on: May 09, 2014, 12:42:30 PM »
Forgive me for being pedantic, but all this I know, what I was questioning was your statement that a Flanker could extend from the AMRAAM, which it quite obviously cannot.

Sure it can use countermeasures and other defensive tactics but one of them would not be outrunning the weapon

All fighters can extend from a missile.  Some better than others.

A missile's range is finite.  Also variable.   The Su can fire at a longer range then offset and run the Slammer out of gas.   That's an extension.  You keep the enemy outside his effective missile envelope and shoot at him.  He will evade or die.  Then once he is out of missiles, which the JSF will be, you run him down and kill him.

A Mach 4 missile has to travel further to catch an offsetting Mach 2 target than it does a Mach 1.2 target.   And a missile fired at Mach 2 and high altitude has more range than one fired at Mach 1.2 and low altitude.

A Flanker only has to make the missile travel further.   He doesn't have to outrun it, just outpersist it.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2014, 12:47:13 PM by Vraciu »
”KILLER V”
The Damned

Offline Gman

• Gold Member
« Reply #53 on: May 09, 2014, 12:51:11 PM »
A small % of it might actually make sense were it backed up by someone who has actually flown military fighters. Kopp himself has all of an hour or two in the back seat of an F18 trainer to back up his expertise. The guy even said the Aussies would be better off buying Russian fighters. ROFL! They can join Algeria, Angola, China, India, Indonesia, Malaysia, Uganda, Venezualia, and Vietnam in flying the new Russian super fighter.

Good point. I've posted links in other threads here recently to articles from well respected defense sites that Russia has been hanging out India, China, and other Flanker owners to DRY.  Right now over 1/2 of India's fighters are sitting useless.  This is current as of last week.  Engine parts and servicing, as well as avionics being the issue.  Kinda hard to fly and fight when you can't even get off the runway.

Also, talking about out maneuvering a2a missiles is far easier said than done in today's world.  Beaming semi active radar guided missiles and Top Gun break turns - it just doesn't happen.  Even at 500 kts, or near corner velocity for modern fighters, the relative speeds of incoming missiles, and how fast they can reach them - the whole "break and turn" maneuver looks like you're almost sitting still relative to their velocity.  I'm not saying maneuvering can't make missiles miss, it is possible under certain circumstances, just that it is much, much harder with today's seeker technology as well as the increase in velocity/energy of the modern missiles. 

Offline Vinkman

• Gold Member
« Reply #54 on: May 09, 2014, 12:55:45 PM »
All fighters can extend from a missile.  Some better than others.

A missile's range is finite.  Also variable.   The Su can fire at a longer range then offset and run the Slammer out of gas.   That's an extension.  You keep the enemy outside his effective missile envelope and shoot at him.  He will evade or die.  Then once he is out of missiles, which the JSF will be, you run him down and kill him.

A Mach 4 missile has to travel further to catch an offsetting Mach 2 target than it does a Mach 1.2 target.   And a missile fired at Mach 2 and high altitude has more range than one fired at Mach 1.2 and low altitude.

A Flanker only has to make the missile travel further.   He doesn't have to outrun it, just outpersist it.

just asking...Is there any evidence the Flanker can shoot anything down? It looks like a nice, last generation fighter.  Weapons systems and stealth make aircraft lethal now. How will the Flanker know that a mach 4+ low observable a2a missile is headed straight for it, launched from a F-35, Over The Horizon, based on firing coordinates it received from satellites that tracked the Flanker from wheels up?  
Who is John Galt?

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #55 on: May 09, 2014, 01:50:10 PM »
just asking...Is there any evidence the Flanker can shoot anything down? It looks like a nice, last generation fighter.  Weapons systems and stealth make aircraft lethal now. How will the Flanker know that a mach 4+ low observable a2a missile is headed straight for it, launched from a F-35, Over The Horizon, based on firing coordinates it received from satellites that tracked the Flanker from wheels up?  

"When they have five aircraft to our one...well...you all passed math."   :salute

We don't have an LO missile any way, so now what?

(And let us not kid ourselves.  The tech gap has closed, even though it has usually proven to be overrated.   Gulf War I was the rare exception in five decades.)

« Last Edit: May 09, 2014, 01:57:12 PM by Vraciu »
”KILLER V”
The Damned

Offline bozon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #56 on: May 09, 2014, 01:53:51 PM »
They way stand-off missile fights are fought is by entering launch envelope (i.e. near max range), fire, and turn back. The max range assumes that the target is till flying towards you, thus either it turns away and fly till out of the missile range, or continue and risk a hit. If both sides use similar missiles and fight a careful stand-off fight, they can fire all their missiles without any kills. Real life is not so symmetrical, engagements are not per-arranged 2v2 or 4v4,  and there are other considerations to the mission than may require risking losing a plane (e.g. to chase away the enemy stand off fighters to clear the way).

Now what happens when both sides have radar stealth, or use massive EW, or you have chaos and saturation of targets? launch ranges get a lot shorter, and closing into a dogfight becomes a lot more possible. It's IR-missiles and cannons time.
Mosquito VI - twice the spitfire, four times the ENY.

Click!>> "So, you want to fly the wooden wonder" - <<click!
the almost incomplete and not entirely inaccurate guide to the AH Mosquito.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGOWswdzGQs

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #57 on: May 09, 2014, 01:53:54 PM »
Good point. I've posted links in other threads here recently to articles from well respected defense sites that Russia has been hanging out India, China, and other Flanker owners to DRY.  Right now over 1/2 of India's fighters are sitting useless.  This is current as of last week.  Engine parts and servicing, as well as avionics being the issue.  Kinda hard to fly and fight when you can't even get off the runway.

Also, talking about out maneuvering a2a missiles is far easier said than done in today's world.  Beaming semi active radar guided missiles and Top Gun break turns - it just doesn't happen.  Even at 500 kts, or near corner velocity for modern fighters, the relative speeds of incoming missiles, and how fast they can reach them - the whole "break and turn" maneuver looks like you're almost sitting still relative to their velocity.  I'm not saying maneuvering can't make missiles miss, it is possible under certain circumstances, just that it is much, much harder with today's seeker technology as well as the increase in velocity/energy of the modern missiles. 

And yet PK with AMRAAM is by our own admission now in the 30s...

You don't have to outmaneuver the missile.   You can spoof it.   Outrun it (yes, you can, because every mile you put between you and it is just that much sooner it runs out of fuel).   Make it bleed energy.    They teach this stuff precisely because it works.
”KILLER V”
The Damned

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #58 on: May 09, 2014, 01:54:59 PM »
They way stand-off missile fights are fought is by entering launch envelope (i.e. near max range), fire, and turn back. The max range assumes that the target is till flying towards you, thus either it turns away and fly till out of the missile range, or continue and risk a hit. If both sides use similar missiles and fight a careful stand-off fight, they can fire all their missiles without any kills. Real life is not so symmetrical, engagements are not per-arranged 2v2 or 4v4,  and there are other considerations to the mission than may require risking losing a plane (e.g. to chase away the enemy stand off fighters to clear the way).

Now what happens when both sides have radar stealth, or use massive EW, or you have chaos and saturation of targets? launch ranges get a lot shorter, and closing into a dogfight becomes a lot more possible. It's IR-missiles and cannons time.

EXACTLY!   And the JSF has no persistence, energy, few missiles (none internally that are WVR) and may have left a gun behind.  The Flankers and PAK-FAs have already run it out of gas shooting missiles at it.   (And if not, they will shortly.)

The airplane is going to get whacked without Raptor help.  And we only have about 100 of those that are true combat machines.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2014, 01:57:54 PM by Vraciu »
”KILLER V”
The Damned

Offline Vinkman

• Gold Member
« Reply #59 on: May 09, 2014, 02:42:39 PM »
Air combat vs Russian Mig29 went down exactly as I described it in the Iraq war. That was from an non-low observable F-15.

there is no proof the tech gap is closed. Our missile have been proven to hit targets. No such claim can be made by the Russians.

I think the idea that everything will degrade to a dog fight with cannons is overstated.  T-60 and T-72s in great numbers were going to outnumber and crush the the overwhelmed, high tech Abrams Tanks if I recall.

Except in actual tank battles it didn't go down like the computer sims. Why?  Because the Iraqis learned very quickly that when 5 Russian tanks engage an Abrams, 4 Iraqis died. As your friends are exploding around you, and the communication chain is filled with panic and confusion, the 5th guys doesn't fight as effectively as the model suggest he will. In Iraq, he jumped from his tank and ran for fox hole.

When formations of Flankers, begin to see random planes exploding around them, all of this, "the Russians out number us" stuff will evaporate like it did in the gulf and Iraq war.

Modern fighters are flying missile platforms. Non-stealth planes that think they can outfly the USA's Satalite/Stealth/missile air-to-air systems are littering the battle fields of the middle east in large numbers.  :salute

« Last Edit: May 09, 2014, 02:57:06 PM by Vinkman »
Who is John Galt?