Author Topic: Standard Pilot View  (Read 1328 times)

Offline SmokinLoon

• Platinum Member
Standard Pilot View
« on: May 10, 2014, 08:46:40 AM »
I'd really like to have an option for two sets of views.  Having a "hit key" to switch from gun mode and pilot mode would be great.  Sitting hunched over behind the gun sight for the forward view all the time takes away a bit from the experience, imo. 

Currently, HTC has it set up that if there is a gun sight that is the "default view".  If there is no gun sight, then in most cases HTC has the view centered over the pilot seat at X height.  The C-47 is one example where the pilot sits cockeyed in their seat (probably thanks to the window partition).  The Mossi B Mk 16 and the Mossi FB Mk 6 are two prime examples of what I am referring to. Id like to have the same views available in the FB Mk 6 as I do in the B Mk 16 as a "base" set of views.   

If I want a typical pilot view now, I have to hit F8 while using the forward view on the hat switch, then I have to pan around. That isnt quick enough for those knife fight situations.  I'd rather be able to have a "standard pilot view", and then be able to glance (snap) quickly around when needed.  Besides, the amount of time a pilot actually peers through the gun sight is but a fraction of the time they are in the air.

Or... perhaps HTC could code in the default view (centered above the seat at X height), then have a hot key to put the pilot in to the gun sight???

Would it be much of an issue to "coad" in a second base set of views???   

Proud grandson of the late Lt. Col. Darrell M. "Bud" Gray, USAF (ret.), B24D pilot, 5th BG/72nd BS. 28 combat missions within the "slot", PTO.

Offline kvuo75

• Gold Member
Re: Standard Pilot View
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2014, 08:54:34 AM »
I think what you want already exists.

map a key to view look forward. then you hold that key/button to look thru gun sight.

yeah just tested it.. you can f10 it too just like any other angle.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2014, 08:56:52 AM by kvuo75 »
kvuo75

Kill the manned ack.

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2014, 09:35:54 AM »
I'd really like to have an option for two sets of views.  Having a "hit key" to switch from gun mode and pilot mode would be great.  Sitting hunched over behind the gun sight for the forward view all the time takes away a bit from the experience, imo. 

Currently, HTC has it set up that if there is a gun sight that is the "default view".  If there is no gun sight, then in most cases HTC has the view centered over the pilot seat at X height.  The C-47 is one example where the pilot sits cockeyed in their seat (probably thanks to the window partition).  The Mossi B Mk 16 and the Mossi FB Mk 6 are two prime examples of what I am referring to. Id like to have the same views available in the FB Mk 6 as I do in the B Mk 16 as a "base" set of views.   

If I want a typical pilot view now, I have to hit F8 while using the forward view on the hat switch, then I have to pan around. That isnt quick enough for those knife fight situations.  I'd rather be able to have a "standard pilot view", and then be able to glance (snap) quickly around when needed.  Besides, the amount of time a pilot actually peers through the gun sight is but a fraction of the time they are in the air.

Or... perhaps HTC could code in the default view (centered above the seat at X height), then have a hot key to put the pilot in to the gun sight???

Would it be much of an issue to "coad" in a second base set of views???   

You can adjust all the views now. You could make all the views look as if your hiding under the dash if you like. It just a bunch of saved head positions.

Offline SmokinLoon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2014, 01:04:33 PM »
Are you using a hat key position to put you in the gun sight?  (forward)

I've adjusted all of my head views, I dont have any issues with that.  My issue is the default position.  The problem is where the views begin, the default view is looking through the gun sight (except those planes w/o guns).  If I use my arrow keys and position my head where the pilot's typically would be (using the F3 external mode zoomed in for reference), that is fine. But, then a need to map my hat key (or another key?) to put me in to the default gun sight view.

I'll tinker with it some more, I think I understand what kvou is saying.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2014, 01:15:45 PM by SmokinLoon »
Proud grandson of the late Lt. Col. Darrell M. "Bud" Gray, USAF (ret.), B24D pilot, 5th BG/72nd BS. 28 combat missions within the "slot", PTO.

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2014, 02:14:02 PM »
Correct, you can use another key to put you in the "gunsite" view that you can set. Much the same as some players use another key to flip "zoom" on and off when they get ready to shoot.

Offline Aspen

• Nickel Member
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2014, 02:15:04 PM »
I'm cornfused.  Are you saying that when you can see the gun sight, it feels like an unnatural position in the seat?  I fly raised up so that the pipper is near the top of the glass in every ride and it seems "natural" enough.
AMAX  in game

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2014, 02:24:12 PM »
He's saying that he can see better with his head higher. He's using F8 for a pan view instead of using Keypad 8 for the gunsight view.

« Last Edit: May 10, 2014, 02:26:07 PM by FLS »

Offline kvuo75

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2014, 03:04:01 PM »
Are you using a hat key position to put you in the gun sight?  (forward)

I've adjusted all of my head views, I dont have any issues with that.  My issue is the default position.  The problem is where the views begin, the default view is looking through the gun sight (except those planes w/o guns).  If I use my arrow keys and position my head where the pilot's typically would be (using the F3 external mode zoomed in for reference), that is fine. But, then a need to map my hat key (or another key?) to put me in to the default gun sight view.

I'll tinker with it some more, I think I understand what kvou is saying.

yeah. you can make the default view looking above the sight, then map a key/button to "view look forward" and you will duck down and look thru the sight.

its like a secondary forward view.

« Last Edit: May 10, 2014, 03:09:18 PM by kvuo75 »
kvuo75

Kill the manned ack.

Offline SmokinLoon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2014, 03:54:55 PM »
Basically, I changed the starting point for my views.  I used to start in the gun sight then hat switch forward and then hit F8 keeping me in the "centered position". It wasn't conducive for knife fighting and I always reverted back to the gun sight. Now, my starting point is manually positioned and saved.

I've accomplished what I wanted.  Here is what I did:

I got the aircraft on the runway and went F3/F8, then zoomed in for a visual on where the pilot's eyes lined up with the windshield for a height reference.  Then I went back in to the cockpit (F1), and used the left/right arrow keys to get me to the middle of the seat (looking down and moving to the middle of the seat), then used the page up/down keys to position my head approximately where the pilot's eyes would typically be.  Then I hit F10.  I some aircraft the "pilot view" I've wanted isn't that far of line with the gun sight.  The George is a perfect example, I don't think I moved up hardly at all.  The P47D-11 and Mossi FB Mk IV are the big examples of huge shifts in "gun sight view" and the "pilot view".  Once I got the pilot view figured out, I hit F10 and saved it.  I did this on 12-15 planes so far.  I assigned a button on my joystick so that when it is time to fire I'm in the gun sight and all I have to do to get out of that view is to use the hat switch.

Now, my only issue is and it is a petty one hardly worth mentioning, is that the default gun sight view puts me lower in the gun sight that what I was used to (109's, 190's, and P40's for sure). So, a very slight learning curve might be in order.  We'll see.  So far, it worked well.  I tool a P40F to 20k and engaged a couple of Hellcats and a Corsair trying to climb to me.  The pilot view allowed for a far better view over the nose and when I needed to line up and fire it was a very quick process.  

I wonder why HTC didn't set it up this way???

So in short here is the process:

1> Assign an easy to reach button the "View Head Position Default" and that will put you right in the gun sight. A quick tap of the hat switch will bring you out of it and back to your new "standard pilot view".  
2>  Use the page up/page down keys to get your height. If there is a question of what is a typical height use the F3/F8 and zoom in and notice the pilot's line of sight. Use that as a reference.  
3>  Use the left/right arrows to get your horizontal position. If there is a question of where the center is must hit F8 and pan down, center yourself over the seat.  btw... the middle "o" in the phrase "Auto Take off Enabled" is very near if not exactly dead center of the screen.  
4>  Then hit F10 to save the position.  If you has to pan down to center over the seat, no worry.  Hit F10 and it will save it as if you were looking ahead and not down.  

Now enjoy a larger and more typical view that a pilot would have had in the real deal, now knows as the "standard pilot view". In most planes the the pilot had to shift his head to look through the gun sight due to design and obvious physical height differences between the pilot. The gun sight view offers a restricted view in most cases. Plus, I have a thing about being historical first and gamey second so being able to peer out the cockpit more like the pilots actually did while flying gives me the look I wanted.  

EDIT: I still have my forward hat switch taking me higher and forward in the cockpit, when able. I bet the 109 pilots banged their head on the glass a lot, there isn't much room in there.  Barely enough to pick their nose.  :D

« Last Edit: May 10, 2014, 04:01:04 PM by SmokinLoon »

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2014, 04:38:41 PM »
If you use Look Forward for the gunsight view you can adjust it as you like.

Offline SmokinLoon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2014, 06:13:44 PM »
If you use Look Forward for the gunsight view you can adjust it as you like.

Are you saying to just pan up a wee bit? Then what key do I assign it?  When I go to the gun sight it is for the few seconds I need to fire.

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2014, 07:21:52 PM »
Are you saying to just pan up a wee bit? Then what key do I assign it?  When I go to the gun sight it is for the few seconds I need to fire.

This is what kvuo and I were saying. There is a Look Forward command you can adjust and map to a button. The default key for this view is keypad 8. This is an alternate to the normal front view. You can raise your head position for the normal front view and still have a lower adjustable gunsight view with Look Forward mapped to a button.

Offline SmokinLoon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2014, 09:30:54 PM »
This is what kvuo and I were saying. There is a Look Forward command you can adjust and map to a button. The default key for this view is keypad 8. This is an alternate to the normal front view. You can raise your head position for the normal front view and still have a lower adjustable gunsight view with Look Forward mapped to a button.

"Ah, I see" said the blind man to the deaf man who signed to the man with no hands.  Sooner or later I'll get it all worked out.  I just needed to look deeper in to what I was able to program the controls to do.  Thanks for the heads up.  I know there are others who would rather have a better view (pilot view) for the default view as well.

Again, I'm surprised that HTC used the gun sight as a default view instead of having it as a secondary view of sorst.  Me thinks having a typical pilot view as the default would better as a default, but at least we can manually set the positions.  I think I'll right out and design my own WWII flight sim.  Be right back.   ;)   

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2014, 09:53:16 PM »
I can understand HTC's choice for default front view. It's the default rear view that puzzles me.   :headscratch:

Offline Aspen

• Nickel Member
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2014, 10:19:04 PM »
When sitting in a WWII fighter, is it normal that the natural position does not line you up with the site and you have to hunch over or duck to get on it?  Not being a smart pants, I really have no idea.
AMAX  in game