Author Topic: Name that Plane  (Read 42509 times)

Offline Cthulhu

• Gold Member
Re: Name that Plane
« Reply #540 on: September 22, 2014, 04:07:23 PM »
I spent 4 days working at a trade show alongside General Yeager in the same booth.  He was humble and funny the whole time.  Doesn't mean he's always that way and most folks that are driven and have accomplished big things have some ego.  But, at least for those 4 days, he was the kind of guy you would invite to your backyard BBQ.   He went out of his way to make others smile and not just when the public was around.  He never brought up anything he accomplished unless someone prodded him to and when he did, he heaped praise on others involved with a gleam in his eye as he told the story.
What year was this Aspen? There's no disputing the man's charisma, or that, like most of us, he probably mellowed with age.
"Think of Tetris as a metaphor for life:  You spend all your time trying to find a place for your long thin piece, then when you finally do, everything you've built disappears"

Offline Aspen

• Nickel Member
« Reply #541 on: September 23, 2014, 01:03:23 PM »
It would have been mid 90's, probably 1995.  He was a spokesperson/endorser for Bushnell optics and I was working in the Bushnell booth at a big hunting/outdoor show.  I'm not doubting he may have been cocky or ego driven in his younger days, but he showed none of that during my time with him.  He worked the booth longer than he was scheduled and helped out with set-up and tear down which was not expected of him.
AMAX  in game

Offline Cthulhu

• Gold Member
« Reply #542 on: September 24, 2014, 09:03:38 AM »
It would have been mid 90's, probably 1995.  He was a spokesperson/endorser for Bushnell optics and I was working in the Bushnell booth at a big hunting/outdoor show.  I'm not doubting he may have been cocky or ego driven in his younger days, but he showed none of that during my time with him.  He worked the booth longer than he was scheduled and helped out with set-up and tear down which was not expected of him.
That IS surprising. I don't remember the Bushnell endorsement.  I DO remember something with him doing ads involving batteries and something involving the F-20 around the same time.
"Think of Tetris as a metaphor for life:  You spend all your time trying to find a place for your long thin piece, then when you finally do, everything you've built disappears"

Offline Aspen

• Nickel Member
« Reply #543 on: September 24, 2014, 01:36:54 PM »
No idea if it was a long term deal or if it was just for that show.  They were promoting their Eotech Holosight so maybe being similar to a fighter gun sight was the tie in.
AMAX  in game

Offline Cthulhu

• Gold Member
« Reply #544 on: September 24, 2014, 05:16:20 PM »
Ok, so back to the task at hand...

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #545 on: September 24, 2014, 05:38:46 PM »
Gwinn Aircar....

My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.

Offline Cthulhu

• Gold Member
« Reply #546 on: September 24, 2014, 05:54:03 PM »
No doubt Widewing is already familiar with this, but you guys need to read this. I'm especially fond of the flap pedal.  :D

Offline Scherf

• Gold Member
« Reply #547 on: September 25, 2014, 09:13:42 PM »
Seen on another board (= I don't know what it is, any guesses?)

... missions were to be met by the commitment of alerted swarms of fighters, composed of Me 109's and Fw 190's, that were strategically based to protect industrial installations. The inferior capabilities of these fighters against the Mosquitoes made this a hopeless and uneconomical effort. 1.JD KTB

Offline Wmaker

• Platinum Member
      • Lentolaivue 34 website
« Reply #548 on: September 26, 2014, 06:07:05 AM »
Seen on another board (= I don't know what it is, any guesses?)

Miles M.65 Gemini.

Pretty plane IMO.
Wmaker
Lentolaivue 34

Thank you for the Brewster HTC!

Offline Cthulhu

• Gold Member
« Reply #549 on: September 26, 2014, 08:57:42 AM »
Miles M.65 Gemini.

Pretty plane IMO.
Definitely a good looking plane. Kind of retro-cool.

So Wmaker, what else have you got in your big fat folder of frustrating flyers for us?

Offline Scherf

• Gold Member
« Reply #550 on: September 26, 2014, 09:20:06 AM »
Miles M.65 Gemini.

Pretty plane IMO.

Thanks Wmaker

:salute
... missions were to be met by the commitment of alerted swarms of fighters, composed of Me 109's and Fw 190's, that were strategically based to protect industrial installations. The inferior capabilities of these fighters against the Mosquitoes made this a hopeless and uneconomical effort. 1.JD KTB

Offline Blinder

• Nickel Member
« Reply #551 on: October 05, 2014, 08:20:23 AM »
Haaazaaah!

Fighter pilots win glory .... Bomber pilots win wars.

17th Guards Air Assault Regiment (VVS) "Badenov's Red Raiders"

Offline Cthulhu

• Gold Member
« Reply #552 on: October 06, 2014, 11:15:29 AM »
Tu-91

Cool plane.  :aok

Offline Rob52240

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
      • My AH Films
« Reply #553 on: October 06, 2014, 11:29:01 AM »
If I had a gun with 3 bullets and I was locked in a room with Bin Laden, Hitler, Saddam and Zipp...  I would shoot Zipp 3 times.

Offline Mister Fork

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #554 on: October 06, 2014, 11:44:20 AM »
Ummm... Avro Arrow? :x
"Games are meant to be fun and fair but fighting a war is neither." - HiTech