Author Topic: "V" Speeds  (Read 530 times)

Offline earl1937

• Gold Member
"V" Speeds
« on: May 17, 2014, 08:23:06 AM »
 :airplane: When flying the real world aircraft, such as the B-29 and other heavy aircraft, there are "V" speeds which has to do with safely operating the aircraft. Even though these aircraft in our game are not real, to commit these different V speeds to ones favorite aircraft will allow you to get maximum performance from that aircraft.
A- VA speed

B- VSO speed

C- VFE speed

D- VLO speed

E- VNE speed

F- VX speed

G- VY speed

While this is not a practice test for any kind of certification in the game, it will make you a better pilot to know and understand these different speeds.
Blue Skies and wind at my back and wish that for all!!!

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
Re: "V" Speeds
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2014, 10:11:24 AM »
A- VA speed: Design maneuvering speed

B- VSO speed: Minimum stall speed in landing config.

C- VFE speed: Max flap extended speed

D- VLO speed: Max speed for lowering or raising your landing gear

E- VNE speed: Never exceed speed

F- VX speed: Best angle of climb speed

G- VY speed: Best rate of climb speed

My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2014, 10:24:13 AM »
I should elaborate a bit.

VA speed is that where full deflection of a control surface may induce structural failure. In game, this is represented by the groaning sound you may hear when pulling out of a high speed dive, or maneuvering at very high speed.

VSO speed is that speed where the plane will not long fly dirtied up for landing. Before you get that slow, the stall warning will begin an audible noise, increasing with the decrease of speed until it does stall and you splat it on the runway.

VFE speed. Since AH doesn't model flap damage, this is not dangerous in game, Still knowing the speed where you can begin deploying flaps is handy in low speed fight. Go too fast, and they just blow back up.

VLO speed, kinda important if you don't want to rip off the gear once lowered. You can't lower them above VLO in game, so you can't break them on lowering. You can break them if you increase speed once down.

VNE speed effect in game is dependent what you fly to some degree. In AH, your proximity to the ground is an important factor towards wing failure. However, many aircraft can suffer control surface damage at higher speeds. Learn your aircraft offline....

VX and VY speeds are handled very simply by engaging autoclimb....
My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2014, 02:50:51 PM »
I should elaborate a bit.

VA speed is that where full deflection of a control surface may induce structural failure. In game, this is represented by the groaning sound you may hear when pulling out of a high speed dive, or maneuvering at very high speed.

VSO speed is that speed where the plane will no longer fly dirtied up for landing. Before you get that slow, the stall warning will begin an audible noise, increasing with the decrease of speed until it does stall and you splat it on the runway.

VFE speed. Since AH doesn't model flap damage, this is not dangerous in game, Still knowing the speed where you can begin deploying flaps is handy in low speed fight. Go too fast, and they just blow back up.

VLO speed, kinda important if you don't want to rip off the gear once lowered. You can't lower them above VLO in game, so you can't break them on lowering. You can break them if you increase speed once down.

VNE speed effect in game is dependent what you fly to some degree. In AH, your proximity to the ground is an important factor towards wing failure. However, many aircraft can suffer control surface damage at higher speeds. Learn your aircraft offline....

VX and VY speeds are handled very simply by engaging autoclimb....

Fixed typo....
My regards,

Widewing

Offline colmbo

• Gold Member
      • Photos
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2014, 10:24:01 PM »
For GA aircraft Va is the max speed where "full and abrupt" control movement is permitted, NOT where full movement will induce failure.
Columbo

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot withstand the storm" and the warrior whispers back "I AM THE STORM"

Offline earl1937

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2014, 01:57:46 PM »
For GA aircraft Va is the max speed where "full and abrupt" control movement is permitted, NOT where full movement will induce failure.
:airplane: While your answer is correctly, technically, the "fuzz" always wanted this answer: "when entering turbulence, know or un-know, the IAS by which you can use full control surface travel without inducing a structural failure"! Most general aviation pilots are not aware of the dangers, even in towering cumulus clouds, some of which can have up to 3,000 feet per min vertical displacements of air. Best just to stay out those old "wet, and bumpy" things!
Blue Skies and wind at my back and wish that for all!!!