Author Topic: AMD 14.4 fps drop  (Read 549 times)

Offline SnowmanWRX

• Zinc Member
AMD 14.4 fps drop
« on: June 24, 2014, 12:11:55 PM »
I just updated to the 14.4 regular drivers from the 14.4 beta drivers on my 7970 card. With this card I typically get 60-80fps easy. However since the update I'm getting like 25-40, sometimes 50 if I'm lucky and sometimes a really crazy FPS drop down to like 4-5. Any and all other games play flawless and I noticed my card is only using 25% activity and not even pushing it's self. Anyone have any idea what could be causing such a crazy FPS dump? Here's my stats

I7 2600k 4.7ghz
8bg Gskill Ripjaws at 1600
XFX HD 7970 BE
128 Crucial M4 SSD
1 TB WD black HD

Everything is up to date. I don't want to revert back to 14.4 beta, because I get better FPS on BF3 with the normal 14.4

Offline Drane

• Nickel Member
Re: AMD 14.4 fps drop
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2014, 01:07:22 PM »
Looks like a lot of people are having trouble with AMD 14.4 drivers. Not sure what is happening at AMD.

Probably safer to roll back to 13.12 drivers (or the beta if it worked ok for you) until AMD sorts it out.

Don't forget to tell AMD what's happening to you.

http://www.amdsurveys.com/se.ashx?s=5A1E27D25AD12B5A
« Last Edit: June 24, 2014, 01:12:17 PM by Drane »
92 Squadron RAF - Aut pugna aut morere - 'Either fight or die'

Offline Rich46yo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2014, 01:53:23 PM »
It seems they are obsessed with getting Mantle to work well with their most expensive cards. That may be the problem right there, that they werent even thinking about your card when they wrote the driver cause they need to deliver this Mantle thing quick. So just rollback.
"flying the aircraft of the Red Star"

Offline SnowmanWRX

• Zinc Member
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2014, 10:53:55 PM »
I rolled back, and I'm still getting crazy FPS drops! It's driving me nuts. I've never had graphics issues with my rig on any game other than this one now. I really don't want to drop my graphical settings just to get more FPS, but it's getting rediculous

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2014, 06:30:50 AM »
The CPu being taken away to run other things can cause frame rate drops as well.  With nothing running on the desktop, open the Windows Task Manage and select the "Processes" tab.

Check the CPU usage at the bottom of that dialog panel.  It should mostly stay at zero.  Watch to for a few minutes. If it ever gets about 1%, then there is something running on your computer which probably should not be.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline SnowmanWRX

• Zinc Member
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2014, 07:03:51 PM »
The CPu being taken away to run other things can cause frame rate drops as well.  With nothing running on the desktop, open the Windows Task Manage and select the "Processes" tab.

Check the CPU usage at the bottom of that dialog panel.  It should mostly stay at zero.  Watch to for a few minutes. If it ever gets about 1%, then there is something running on your computer which probably should not be.

Checked! I always limit my processes and start up programs. This is the only current game I"m getting crazy FPS spikes. I can play BF4 all day long on ultra and run just fine. Up to about a week ago with AH I was getting 60-70fps constant.

Offline Chilli

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2014, 09:09:59 PM »
There are two things that I could think of, first did you change resolution and / or graphic detail (smooth shadow / bump map on self and others)?  The other big drop in fps for me occurs  with Ground Detail Mode / Ground Clutter On during flight / detail range sliders to the left.

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2014, 06:51:55 AM »
Checked! I always limit my processes and start up programs. This is the only current game I"m getting crazy FPS spikes. I can play BF4 all day long on ultra and run just fine. Up to about a week ago with AH I was getting 60-70fps constant.

Did you monitor the CPU usage?  Programs running on your computer is not the only reason why a CPU gets busy.  If your network is being hit by scanners and bots, it will show up as CPU usage as well, for just one example.

If a resource is being used up, it will hit your CPU.

The two major reasons why frame rate will fluctuate are resource, or CPU activity related.

BF4 is not comparable.  It is a small world compared to Aces High, with very, very limited view ranges and limited field of views.  Those two items are very demanding on a video card's resources.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2014, 06:54:52 AM by Skuzzy »
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com