Author Topic: Autopilot Lock  (Read 784 times)

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
Autopilot Lock
« on: May 24, 2014, 02:17:21 PM »
Could we have the selectable option to keep autopilot modes on regardless of controller movement and toggle them off instead?

Currently I do this using mode 4 with no controllers mapped but I think it would be a useful option.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2014, 03:15:07 PM by FLS »

Offline Tinkles

• Silver Member
Re: Autopilot Lock
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2014, 05:03:31 PM »
Could we have the selectable option to keep autopilot modes on regardless of controller movement and toggle them off instead?

Currently I do this using mode 4 with no controllers mapped but I think it would be a useful option.

OMG, if my Uber Autopilot wasn't on I would've so evaded that shot!

Just a thought when I reason that.

Perhaps instead of movement 'releasing' you from the autopilot controls. How about hitting the auto pilot button again?  I have it on default (X), so X to start it, and X to end it (so I can fly again).

+1 for this idea  :aok
If we have something to show we will & do post shots, if we have nothing new to show we don't.
HiTech
Adapt , Improvise, Overcome. ~ HiTech
Be a man and shoot me in the back ~ Morfiend

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2014, 05:23:03 PM »
In case you misread that Tinkles,  I don't want to replace the current system I just want to add an option that can be toggled in flight like Combat Trim.

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2014, 06:06:19 PM »
that is a great idea, i cant remember how many times i have gotten distracted after thinking my plane is on auto and next thing I know i bumped my stick and i see the ground coming up.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline Tinkles

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2014, 07:05:09 PM »
In case you misread that Tinkles,  I don't want to replace the current system I just want to add an option that can be toggled in flight like Combat Trim.

No no I don't believe I misread. I agree with you, I just gave a possible addition to your wish. (Wasn't trying to hi-jack).  And with many things in-game, there should be an option to keep it 'as is' and a check box for this idea, akin to tracers on/off.

I just thought of someone complaining or giving an excuse as to why they couldn't fly or lacked ACM/SA when I first read it. However, I do support this idea, because like guncrasher said, I've sometimes bumped my joystick (or the cat did  :furious ) and end up crashing.

:lol  " Just a thought when I reason that".  I think I should be awake when I type. 
If we have something to show we will & do post shots, if we have nothing new to show we don't.
HiTech

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2014, 07:24:49 PM »
Tinkles if you think you added something then you misread it. Toggling autopilot refers to pressing X to turn it on and again to turn it off. You just restated what I already asked for.   :)

that is a great idea, i cant remember how many times i have gotten distracted after thinking my plane is on auto and next thing I know i bumped my stick and i see the ground coming up.

semp

For now you can use another mode copied from mode 1 with no controllers assigned and a button to return you to mode 1.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2014, 07:30:10 PM by FLS »

Offline Tinkles

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2014, 07:28:08 PM »
Tinkles if you think you added something then you misread it. Toggling autopilot refers to pressing X to turn it on and again to turn it off. You just restated what I already asked for.   :)

I think I need an "are you asleep" test before I post anything.  :rofl

Well then, I support your wish.   :aok
HiTech

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2014, 08:04:15 PM »

For now you can use another mode copied from mode 1 with no controllers assigned and a button to return you to mode 1.

I think you just fulfilled our own wish.

semp

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2014, 08:13:11 PM »
My wish a la mode?  :D

I think it would be a nice addition. Whether it's worth the effort is up to Hitech.

Offline lunatic1

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2014, 07:39:23 AM »
with autopilot on-why would want to move the controller???????????????????
C.O. of the 173rd Guardian Angels---Don't fire until you can see the whites of their eyes...Major devereux(The Battle Of Wake Island-1941.
R.I.P.49GRIN/GRIN-R.I.P. WWHISKEY R.I.P WIZZY R.I.P.

Offline kvuo75

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2014, 12:10:58 AM »
kvuo75

Kill the manned ack.

Offline Mongoose

• Silver Member
      • Kentwood Station
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2014, 12:54:14 AM »
In Real Life, when you move the controls, the autopilot turns off by itself.  I believe (correct me if I'm wrong) that this is designed as a safety feature.  If you have to maneuver suddenly you can just grab the stick and save everyone's life, instead of taking the extra second to find the autopilot control, and everyone dies.
My Aces High fan site:
www.kentwoodstation.com

Offline Cthulhu

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2014, 05:07:30 PM »
In Real Life, when you move the controls, the autopilot turns off by itself.  I believe (correct me if I'm wrong) that this is designed as a safety feature.  If you have to maneuver suddenly you can just grab the stick and save everyone's life, instead of taking the extra second to find the autopilot control, and everyone dies.

In the "Real Life" of 1944, most of the beasts we fly didn't even have autopilots. So if I nail my joystick with my drink, and simultaneously spill my beer in my lap while rolling inverted into a corn field, I just laugh it off and go get another beer.  ;)
"Think of Tetris as a metaphor for life:  You spend all your time trying to find a place for your long thin piece, then when you finally do, everything you've built disappears"

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2014, 08:38:58 PM »
In the "Real Life" of 1944, most of the beasts we fly didn't even have autopilots.

Yup.

- oldman

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2014, 08:48:09 PM »
In the "Real Life" of 1944, most of the beasts we fly didn't even have autopilots. So if I nail my joystick with my drink, and simultaneously spill my beer in my lap while rolling inverted into a corn field, I just laugh it off and go get another beer.  ;)

in "real life" of 1944, none of the beasts had a computer monitor and a desk to hold your beer :).

semp