Author Topic: Falcon 4.0  (Read 560 times)

Offline hotcoffe

• Nickel Member
Falcon 4.0
« on: May 30, 2014, 06:56:39 AM »
has anyone tried it ? toughts ? does it worth the money?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-K5bvaVBRM
- Der Wander Zirkus -

Offline Gman

• Gold Member
Re: Falcon 4.0
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2014, 07:30:45 AM »
Falcon 4.0 isn't really "4.0" any longer, and hasn't been since pretty much the year it came out, back in 98 or so.  

The source code was released long ago, and the Falcon community has made it what it is today.  BRS or some of the other mods are fantastic, and free.  The docs and training videos are an absolute must, it isn't the sort of sim now where "c" is for chaff and "f" for flare.  Considering what they've had to work with, what they've done is nothing short of incredible.  One of the big, big features is of course the dynamic campaign, which itself has been modded and improved over the years, and keeps the "game" rolling, with unscripted missions and outcomes.  Everything about BRS Falcon is excellent, the weapons and their employment, the systems, avionics, all of it - it may not have the DCS series graphics, but it's still pretty good, and everything else is at least as good.

It will take an investment in time to get into, but youtube has a large selection of training files and videos, for everything from landing, to midair refueling, employing various weapons, the radar systems and submodes - all of it.  Just watching these videos will take days, and the manuals are very, very large.  I bought my first Ipad/Ereader rig just to be able to read these files in fact while not at my desk.

I played Falcon from it's very first versions, Falcon, Falcon AT, Falcon 3.0 which was a big leap forward, and then 4.0 and all the variants since.  I'm bias I guess because of this, but I really think it's a worthwhile product, and has aged very well.  I also wrote and worked for a website that had interviewed and had articles written for it by Pete Bonnani, who was a USAF pilot that helped Gilman Louie write the Falcon games.  There is a lot of history behind the current BRS versions now, I would say probably 25 years+ worth.  Not many games stand that test of time.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2014, 07:34:06 AM by Gman »

Offline GScholz

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2014, 08:51:10 AM »
My favorite '90s F-16 sim was Virgin Interactive's "F-16 Aggressor". I liked the African-merc setting a lot more than your typical east-west or middle-eastern large-scale war setting. Was also developed with the assistance of a R/L Viper-driver.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GVdGrkL2F6c

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

Offline ImADot

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2014, 09:02:58 AM »
I used to fly Falcon 4.0 all the time, back in the day. A few months ago, I got the bug again, and found the Benchmark Sims (BMS) community-driven update. I think it's well worth it, especially if you can pick up the original Falcon4.0 disc for $10 or less.

http://www.benchmarksims.org/forum/content.php
My Current Rig:
GigaByte GA-X99-UD4 Mobo w/ 16Gb RAM
Intel i7 5820k, Win7 64-bit
NVidia GTX 970 4Gb ACX 2.0
Track IR, CH Fighterstick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Pedals

Offline hotcoffe

• Nickel Member
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2014, 09:16:55 AM »
thnx alot.
- Der Wander Zirkus -

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2014, 12:34:09 PM »
I still remember how big of a pain it was to stock the shelves with Falcon 4.0 in the initial release when I worked at CompUSA. The binder packaging was pretty cool looking, but GOD was it frustrating keeping it straight!
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline Gman

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2014, 02:53:28 PM »
Hah, the infamous blue binder.  I have 4 of them, one with a lost disc, and one of them still in plastic.  I bought Allied Force when it came out, as BRS wasn't really around or in the state it is in now, and AF had some good mods/upgrades of its own over the years, but IMO the original F4.0 blue disc with the BRS mod is the best variant at the moment. 

GSho- I remember that game, played it as well, and for the time it was a fantastic sim, and great game idea as well.  So many great sim titles over the years.

Offline GScholz

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2014, 07:56:22 AM »
Yeah, flying merc missions in Africa and black ops for the CIA... I don't remember any scorpions, but other than that it was a Voss-simulator.
"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

Offline Wolfala

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2014, 08:06:05 PM »
http://youtu.be/t8cujpjfby0

This is BMS from awhile ago. Caught me by surprise.

the best cure for "wife ack" is to deploy chaff:    $...$$....$....$$$.....$ .....$$$.....$ ....$$

Offline Bodhi

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2014, 12:44:20 PM »
http://youtu.be/t8cujpjfby0

This is BMS from awhile ago. Caught me by surprise.

That's really cool.
I regret doing business with TD Computer Systems.